Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chrisd

exercise and healthy food

7 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have this silly idea that as a young adult of 27 years old, it doesn't matter much what I eat and if I exercise or not. I know it's silly but I'm not convinced. Can you give me some encouragement with facts that it does matter?

Same age as you. Didn't care a few years ago either. Now i'm vegan and running minimum 30km every week.

So what changed? For me, seeing the fleeting nature of reality and how both fragile and adaptable life can be. How your routines, what you put into yourself and how you treat your body create a lot of the foundations for the rest of your life. You can both die next week, but you can also turn your life around and make great changes both in your personal life and for those around you. Changing your underlying beliefs about yourself and reality is key to making the changes stick. Starting to actually see the infinite possibilites of the body to adapt in the way you use it is one of my biggest drivers to make the habits stick, but also the aspect of building mental strength through not falling into the trap of eating for satisfaction and getting trapped by the fear of discomfort when excercising.

Some obvious of the benefits both long & short term

- More energy. Getting the energy to do what you want in life. Some people might think that excercising will take energy from you(and it will while you're doing it). In time you'll notice that you can focus more on your studies work or run that extra mile without much extra effort, because you're doing those small things perhaps the people around you aren't. If your goal is to better than others in areas it will give you an edge. If your goal is to help other it will make you more suited to do so. Win-win either way.

- Less disease(vegetarians and vegans are less prone to heart disease, obesity etc. And you can have a bad vegan diet consisting of processed fake meat, chips and coke. But plant based whole foods are key here. Also you need to take B12.)

- In average, you'll live longer

There are so many benefits to eating healthy and excercising, that i could go on forever tbh. Just go to youtube or google and get inspired by other people making those changes. There are tons of inspiring people out there ready to guide you to make the steps you really want to. And it will never become easier than it is right now. The older you get, changing habits will be harder. If you start now you'll most likely live a longer and happier life, and you'll be thankful to your former self for doing so.

You can also wait 3-4 years and nature will convince you :D

Between 25 and 35, you reach a turning point where all the energy that you normally have during each day, and are taking for granted, will be suddenly gone, unless.... you do a lot of things right in the health area. Working out and eating clean becomes a requirement for functioning well, not just nice-to-have.

If you start at that turning point, it's really hard to gain momentum with it, because

1. A lot of habits to learn and unlearn all at once. Will cause serious ego backlashes that you are not prepared for.
  2. Takes discipline that you haven't built up over the past years. Let's face it. Most people give up at this point and start their journey towards the 40 year old beer-bellied couch potatoes you see all around you. How many 40 year olds do you personally know, who are energetic as you like to be, and you would like to trade lives with? And 50 year olds?
  3. A lot of self-education needs to take place, about nutrition, sleep habits, et cetera. Not just theory, but practice: the most work is not in reading about it, but figuring out how to implement it all into your life in a way that you can actually stick to it. And you'll have to do all this with rapidly declining energy levels. While also working a job. And potentially being chronically sleep-deprived because of the raising-babies thing.

So, you know, it's better to have some momentum before your free trial runs out, so to speak ;)

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

13 hours ago, flowboy said:

Working out and eating clean becomes a requirement for functioning well, not just nice-to-have.

This is true.

Gyms have been closed for a while where I live and I've been gradually feeling worse each week. I'm 39. Working out is absolutely mandatory, otherwise your quality of life starts going down the drain.

Alternative Rock Music and Spirituality on YouTube: The Buddha Visions

Thanks for the responses guys, I've started 1 hr cardio with a day in between for my health.

On 3/13/2021 at 7:57 PM, Chrisd said:

I have this silly idea that as a young adult of 27 years old, it doesn't matter much what I eat and if I exercise or not. I know it's silly but I'm not convinced. Can you give me some encouragement with facts that it does matter?

I consider with you, the age before 30 doesn't let us think about what we eat and do we exercise or not? but it is our first concern to think about later, you can't be the same with existing strength, ability, mental condition and much more. Doesn't matter if you're a teenager or adult but you should always concern about what should you eat and how to maintain your physical condition.

The only way to be convinced is when you have had some experience with it. That way you have a new perspective to compare with.