Hen Zuhe

What Are the Benefits of Sunlight?

9 posts in this topic

Sunlight and darkness trigger the release of hormones in your brain. Exposure to sunlight is thought to increase the brain’s release of a hormone called serotonin. Serotonin is associated with boosting mood and helping a person feel calm and focused. At night, darker lighting triggers the brain to make another hormone called melatonin. This hormone is responsible for helping you sleep.

Decreased sun exposure has been associated with a drop in your serotonin levels, which can lead to major depression with seasonal pattern. The light-induced effects of serotonin are triggered by sunlight that goes in through the eye. Sunlight cues special areas in the retina, which triggers the release of serotonin. So, you’re more likely to experience this type of depression in the winter time, when the days are shorter.

Building strong bones

Cancer prevention

Healing skin conditions

Read more: https://www.healthline.com/health/depression/benefits-sunlight#outlook

On 2021-03-13 at 7:43 AM, Village said:

Don't

Why not? @Village

Edited by Mannyb

19 hours ago, Mannyb said:

Why not? @Village

It's designed to cause skin cancer (read the ingredient list) which was ultra rare before the invention of sunscreen. Also, you usually wear it when you're hot and your pores are open, so the chemicals leak further into your body.

If you gradually tan then you won't need anything to protect your skin even when spending hours in the sun. Otherwise, you can use raw butter or olive oil. I sunbathed for 2.5 hours last week but it was my first time since previous summer so I got somewhat sunburnt - I smeared raw butter on my face and the redness went away within a day with no peeling/dryness.

Coconut oil if you wanna replace sunblock.

''A few studies have suggested that parabens act like estrogen in the body, which can speed up the growth of breast cancer tumours. We need more research to understand this association better.

What about studies that suggest people who use sunscreen have a higher risk of developing skin cancer?
Scientists don’t think this increased risk is caused by any chemical – it comes from the fact that people who use sunscreen spend more time in the sun than people who don’t use sunscreen. And many of these people may not be applying sunscreen properly. Scientists are also looking at whether people who use sunscreen have lower vitamin D levels, which may increase the risk of developing cancer.''

Edited by Arcangelo
More

Talks about sunlight

Edited by Twega

The best benefit of sunlight for me is, It decreases the health risks of fluorescent lighting. The more time you spend in a source of natural light, the less time you will likely spend in the unnatural light of fluorescent bulbs.