Insightful27

Hedonic Passions

11 posts in this topic

Is it possible to be passionate about a hedonic activity or would that just be a addiction? What are your thoughts?

Totally possible to not get addicted to hedonic activity if that's what you're passionate about. Possibilities are endless. 

If it’s something you’re passionate about, don’t second guess yourself and overthink. Live your life. Experience things.

I think it would be difficult to balance.

Don't invest in the virtual.
Focus on yourself.

?

On 3/11/2021 at 3:40 AM, Keyhole said:

I think it would be difficult to balance.

@Keyhole yeah that's what I'm thinking. Maybe in moderation but as a full out passion I don't know if it would work.

I'm glad this discussion lead to balance! Selfishness v. Selflessness is a mysterious puzzle. Really great question; Have a nice one!

SelfSimilarity.pdf

Having a passion for something is not an indicator of addiction or addictive behavior. I am passionate about dance and God, but nothing close to addicted to either. I am not passionate about masturbation, but the way I use it to in an attempt sooth an inner discontent, and  the compulsive frequency definitely boarders on addiction. Addiction is a subject I am well versed in. I would to offer a more robust thought if I knew more of where you were coming from. Is the hedonistic activity sexual? If not what is the nature? How often to you engage. Is your passion compulsive? 

@neovox I have a large variety but video games was the main one I wanted to seek advice on. I would say I play for about 1-2 hours most days (normally with friends), some longer and some I don't play at all. I would say it can be compulsive but most of the time I notice it and for that reason do something else instead. I try and use it as a way to relax and connect with friends while at the same time doing something I'm intrigued by.