Someone here

What's your biggest fear?

59 posts in this topic

What is your biggest fear and why? And how are you dealing with it? 

Edited by Someone here
Duplicates older post

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

I don't know.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

@Gesundheit are you afraid of not knowing? 

-Osho

3 minutes ago, Someone here said:

@Gesundheit are you afraid of not knowing? 

Lol no, not anymore.

I was answering to your post. Because I don't believe that there are 4.5 billion galaxies or anything like that. For all I know, the earth could be flat and we could be an experiment. I don't know. I don't believe NASA's nonsense.

Okay, now I see that you edited your post.

Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

My own thoughts. All other fears are thoughts, that boil down to my fear of my own future thoughts about it. xD

11 minutes ago, Someone here said:

And how are you dealing with it? 

Don't believe thoughts that don't feel good. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Gesundheit I dunno.. I don't Believe it.  You certainly know but you are afraid to express. Then you might be afraid of fear. 

(yea edited that duplicate older post). 

-Osho

5 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

My own thoughts. 

Thoughts? Lol cute fears jk 

No tangible disaster could shake you right? 

-Osho

Just now, Someone here said:

Thoughts? Lol cute fears jk 

No tangible disaster could shake you right? 

I've never encountered anything tangible. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

@Someone here I certainly have fears, mostly related to my family and the physical sensation of pain. Other than that, I don't give a fuck for almost anything else.

I think fear is an inevitable experience/emotion in living beings. And of course, fundamentally, I am afraid of the experience of fear, because it could get absolutely terrifying. Everyone is afraid of fear on the most fundamental level. There is no way around it when it happens.

Just now, Gesundheit said:

I think fear is an inevitable experience/emotion in living beings. And of course, fundamentally, I am afraid of the experience of fear, because it could get absolutely terrifying. Everyone is afraid of fear on the most fundamental level. There is no way around it when it happens.

Fear without thought is just an amazing adrenaline rush kind of feeling. Ski slopes, roller coasters, sky diving, etc. Pretty awesome.

11 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

@Someone here I certainly have fears, mostly related to my family and the physical sensation of pain. Other than that, I don't give a fuck for almost anything else.

fear is Clearly a function of survival. Your body is programmed to fear getting crashed by a car to protect your survival. So as long as survival is at work.. Fear must exist. It doesn't have to be neurotic fear. But at least to a minimum level of healthy watchfullness.

Check out Leonardo's video on fear. 

8 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

Fear without thought is just an amazing adrenaline rush kind of feeling. Ski slopes, roller coasters, sky diving, etc. Pretty awesome.

emotions are conscious.. subjective states. For example.. ‘feelings’ related to fear.. such as horror or terror.. are cognitively assembled conceptions of one’s situation.. rather than preformed.. innate mental states inherited from animals.

Certain things are not supposed to make you feel certain way. That's why you will find people's answers vary. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

If you believe that you're an object, then you believe that some things are objective and some things are subjective. 

Just now, mandyjw said:

There's no fear without thought. And the adrenaline rush is not amazing, unless you're high.

You must be hugely underestimating how luxurious your life is right now to be able to utter this nonsense.

@Someone here The ego-mind does not discriminate, and that's the whole problem. If it was that easy, we would have a lot less problems than we have today. Because what counts as healthy fear and what doesn't?

Just now, Gesundheit said:

There's no fear without thought.

Yup.

2 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

And the adrenaline rush is not amazing, unless you're high.

You must be hugely underestimating how luxurious your life is right now to be able to utter this nonsense.

"Hugely underestimating", or not thinking about? "Nonsense", in other words, thought can't make sense of it? 

My deepest fear, which is at core of all of my anxiety/depression/existentialist crises, is that when I die, I will be subjected to eternal suffering due to mistakes or misunderstandings I have made in this life. I fear what "comes next". 

It is linked with my OCD and comes back periodically, even after months or years of serenity, that one day I will get the idea that I misunderstood something in the bible, or that I am willfully ignoring my upbringing/the message of God, and that I will suffer because of it.

I do not know if I will ever truly get over this fear. 

8 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

"Hugely underestimating", or not thinking about?

Exactly. Because by avoiding thought, you're actually bypassing awareness. So you basically don't know what you're talking about.

Edited by Gesundheit

Fear of fear ?

"Nothing to fear but fear itself."

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

13 minutes ago, Sahi96 said:

My deepest fear, which is at core of all of my anxiety/depression/existentialist crises, is that when I die, I will be subjected to eternal suffering due to mistakes or misunderstandings I have made in this life. I fear what "comes next". 

Me too. This idea of eternal suffering scares the living shit out of me. Not with you on this notion of 'mistakes'. This just comes from a religious background. There are no such things as 'mistakes' as in 'sins'. You'd have to be extremely non-objective to look at the world via that lens. 

20 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

Because what counts as healthy fear and what doesn't?

Of course there is no one-fits-all answer. We could share... Fear of being hit by a car while crossing the highway is healthy because if you didn't have that kind of fear, you could kill yourself.  While fear of cats or pets might be considered unhealthy for lack of commonality. 

-Osho

@Sahi96 You don't have a free will, so you're free to make all the mistakes in the world.

23 minutes ago, Someone here said:

fear is Clearly a function of survival.

It's tricky, though. Again, because what counts as survival and what doesn't? The ego-mind does not posses infinite intelligence to truly know. The truth is that "survival" is an overlay for the underlying fear of not-knowing. Leo is probably afraid of not-knowing, and that's why he explains everything away with survival.