BipolarGrowth

Severely Altered Perception of Time (My experiences + Have You Had Them?)

8 posts in this topic

I’ve experienced some radically altered senses of time throughout the past few years after starting to use psychedelics. This has occurred during psychedelic trips as well as during manic (bipolar disorder type 1) episodes while I was not under the effects of any drugs. 

I’ve had essentially three types of altered time perception. 
1. During a psychedelic trip, I will get a feeling that the experience I’m in is eternal. I will feel like there is no way I will ever return to baseline consciousness and time perception. This is mainly a mental phenomenon. 
2. On one occurrence during a trip, I began saying my thoughts out loud so the insights would be easier to follow. Right before I started doing this, my girlfriend and her sibling left to drive to a gas station a quarter-mile away to get drinks. From their perspective of time, they were gone for roughly five minutes. I had at least an hour long conversation with myself analyzing the insights I was having. If this process were only happening in my head/mental chatter, one might easily think that I simply felt that I had experienced one hour worth of time which felt longer as one hour worth of thoughts were had in five minutes, but since the thoughts could only be processed slowly as they were being spoken out loud, this is impossible. I even spoke to my girlfriend about this later. She was sure they were only gone for about five minutes. 
3. The last type happened during a manic episode while not on any psychedelics or other drugs. For several hours each minute seemed to last an hour. I remember it felt like an eternity before I saw the sun rise. On the same drive, I saw/hallucinated a mechanical/metal sphere materialize right in front of my steering wheel. While this was happening, I’d say roughly three seconds passed objectively, but those few seconds felt more like 30 seconds. More than just those three seconds feeling longer, things also seemed to move in slow motion during that time. I’ve had these things happen on other occasions as well. 

Anyway, those are my main experiences with an altered sense of time. Has anyone else on here experienced similar things? 

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

2 minutes ago, BipolarGrowth said:

2. On one occurrence during a trip, I began saying my thoughts out loud so the insights would be easier to follow. Right before I started doing this, my girlfriend and her sibling left to drive to a gas station a quarter-mile away to get drinks. From their perspective of time, they were gone for roughly five minutes. I had at least an hour long conversation with myself analyzing the insights I was having. If this process were only happening in my head/mental chatter, one might easily think that I simply felt that I had experienced one hour worth of time which felt longer as one hour worth of thoughts were had in five minutes, but since the thoughts could only be processed slowly as they were being spoken out loud, this is impossible. I even spoke to my girlfriend about this later. She was sure they were only gone for about five minutes. 

Did you somehow time dilate 5 real time minutes into 1 hr?

I think there is no such thing as the "normal" speed of time. It might be just that we as this species in a sense have evolved to process it in that way. 

One time when I combined weed, meditation and Kundalini transmission before sleep my dreams felt like I was gone for a week. When I woke up I had a hard time remembering where I am for like half an hour.

2 hours ago, Blackbeat said:

Did you somehow time dilate 5 real time minutes into 1 hr?

It certainly seems to be the case. I’m somewhat of a natural when it comes to breaking the laws of reality lol. I’ve got a lot of stories to tell if someone’s interested in that kind of thing. 

Maybe we should shove the culmination of multi-millennia old insight up our asses instead. 

@Javfly33 Thanks man. I’ve put a lot of work into it over the years. 

I've never done psychedelics but I have experienced such a phenomenon before. It's pretty crazy. Like I knew for a fact there's no way time passed by that quickly. 

I don't recall the specific events, but It usually happens when I'm cooking food and trying to set a timer for it. 10 minutes will pass in like 1 minute. The thing about this is it will always be anecdotal no matter what, even if it is true. It's like reality is trolling me lol.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho