Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fredodoow

Shinzen Young

8 posts in this topic

I think this Zen meditation teacher is fascinating. Maby the best i've seen. To me, he just screams "real deal". He's a master, yet so simple, humble and straight forward in his approach, I think he is truly a gem. I would just love to hear your thougts on this guy. 

I like him on a technical and intellectual level, though, maybe I find him too intellectual and making too many distinctions, like maybe I find trying to memorize all his distinctions a bit much sometimes and prefer to stick with his basics, which I like.  

Like his humor and lightness that he brings, as well as the clarity with which he describes the spiritual domain (what I see as a beneficial side of all the fine distinctions he makes for which I criticized him above).

I could and might see him as being a little dogmatic sometimes, especially with the Zen approaches and attitudes.  

Down to earth.

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Just finished reading his book, The Science of Enlightenment.

Love his depth and breadth of experience combined with his intellect. Not everybody's cup of tea but I think those who gravitate towards intellecty stuff will enjoy.

Amazing to read that he's actively involved in 'enlightenment technology' experiments.

I've attended two of his online retreats over this pandemic. Both have been incredible... He is truly a master and his mindfulness system is rock solid if you're feeling a call to explore the vipassana path. 

27 minutes ago, Consilience said:

I've attended two of his online retreats over this pandemic. Both have been incredible... He is truly a master and his mindfulness system is rock solid if you're feeling a call to explore the vipassana path. 

Awesome to hear. I've been considering signing up to his private group coaching.

I took classes from Shinzen in the 1980s.  He was my first meditation instructor.  He was a teacher at a meditation center in Los Angeles.  He would conduct a meditation every Sunday, give a dharma talk, and then after the talk we would all eat snacks and talk around a table.  Shinzen is very knowledgable about not only Buddhism but many other spiritual paths, and he knows how to find the common elements of all of them.  When I was there, he became interested in native American spirituality and actually did a sun dance with a North American tribe, including having the two knives put through his breasts and hung from a tree.  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

26 minutes ago, Jodistrict said:

having the two knives put through his breasts and hung from a tree.

For a non-enlightened person, I'd say "Ballsy."  

For an enlightened person, I sense and from what I've heard, it ain't no big deal, and perhaps maybe even pleasurable. 

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins