Joshuas

Learning skills

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

Just wondering, what is your approach/routine for learning new skills? And do you have any tips on learning skill in general?

I think we actually don't learn anything new ever. We already have every possible knowledge and skill within us. We are just letting what already is within us unfold, in my view. 

@Joshuas Depends on what you want to learn. For example when i wanted to learn to code simply sitting down and doing it for hours was enough, once you sit down you kind of figure things out. One thing to be aware of is distractions and procrastination these a huge factor, you kind of have to set up your environment and put systems in place to where its quite easy to do things. What i mean by this is, i wanted to learn to juggle so i literally put tennis balls on my work desk and would play around with it when i got bored of work, it was easy because they were literally in my view the whole time. Also learning to concentrate is super duper useful so having some sort of meditation practice is useful. 

I recommend reading a book called The war of art - 10/10 

Also this guy explains the basics of learning something new 

Lex also explains this quite well 

Also i recommend leos videos:

Learning = behavior change

Learning = Distinction making 

Learning = observation  

These 3 are gems 

Having a daily consistent practice routine is the most effective way to learn almost any skill.

Well, if I remember well there different types of learners. The two I remember is the learn by doing and the one that researchs. Make a test to know the type u are and learn that new skill in that way

The First 20 hours - Josh Kaufman

Polymath - Peter Hollins...

Code Of The Extraodinary Mind - Vishen Laikhiani 

Other book called Self Learning Blue Print. 

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@BartekD Thanks for the thoughtful reply. The war of art is definitely on my reading list. I also agree that it really comes down to just sitting down and doing it. I do tend to struggle with distraction. I'm curious about the inspiration and lessons the war of art will give me on that. 

@Snader Yes, that's really the really engine to the machine of learning anything. Daily practice and study. Practice x study = learning.

@Thought Art Thanks for the recommendations man! I want to set up my life around self-education so I'll look into these and put them on my reading list.