Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Recress

How do you deal with people who resist change?

14 posts in this topic

(not sure where to post this so kindly move to the right channel tia)

Hi all!

A little background about me; I'm into metaphysics for like many years now and still learning, quite an introvert and been doing shadow work for quite a while.

My question revolves around people (a family member in particular) who mainly doesnt like change/resist change and is stuck with the past.

I have a stepdad, who I can describe an old school, stuck in his time, paradigm, & doesnt want change, and doesnt embrace the new technology. Heck doesn't even want to use mobile phones as he is not interested. A typical example of toxic masculinity as well as he likes to berates people on the tv mainly newer actors that doesnt have the manly-off during his time like Rambo, Sylvester Stallone etc..

I get it. I understand his perspective and all. But at some point we do have some threshold right? I sometimes wonder why my mom married him, maybe mainly because of his looks and codependency thing from my father before.

I have my own apartment far from them on the main city, but since its COVID, I decided to stay at my Mom's place a little longer. I know I am just rambling here, but dunno.. It is affecting my peace of mind the longer I stay here. Maybe I will not directly interact with them for now..

You can ask me more details.. I just want to type this things out from my mind ugh..

Do you have similar people in your life and how did you deal with them?

Edited by Recress

In my dream, I go to a course and the teacher teaches me about how to do something. If this is a dream, then we are actually never learning anything. We are spewing "new" stuff only. 

Edited by Vibroverse

29 minutes ago, neutralempty said:

You don't have to emotionally embrace someone's position just because he is closer to you than most other people.

I encounter similar problems all the time. Hardly a week where I don't encouter it.

@neutralempty

I think I suffer from this because I want to validate other people that they are seen or something. Afterwards, I am bombarded with his stuffs the longer I stay on the table (usually during dinner where my mom comes home from work). I usually vocal out the things I don't agree too like what they usually see on TV and stuffs, but there are times that it felt like I need to step back and see where my boundaries are. It's such a hard times atleast for us empaths :(

I am thinking to take a break for 2 days or more since I missed going to the beach, and my mom's place is kinda near before heading back. I miss nature, might be a good idea.

Edited by Recress

20 minutes ago, Vibroverse said:

In my dream, I go to a course and the teacher teaches me about how to do something. If this is a dream, then we are actually never learning anything. We are spewing "new" stuff only. 

Hi! You reminded me of my dream last night. It felt realistic that I wish I never woke up. I was flying and hovering to unknown places like examining a floating airship, it was a mystical experience.. wew..

@neutralempty  Yeah, there were times its hard. It's funny because I only realize that I only need to take a break after posting my thoughts into words. It's nice that Leo has created this website for people to interact. :)

4 minutes ago, Recress said:

Hi! You reminded me of my dream last night. It felt realistic that I wish I never woke up. I was flying and hovering to unknown places like examining a floating airship, it was a mystical experience.. wew..

Amazing. Understand that this reality and that reality are all one interconnected reality. Both are your creations. Both are you. Awareness. 

@Vibroverse  Yeah, it reminded me to travel and not getting stuck in places. That dream is all about exploration afterall! wow...

It's ok. I think you should respect him the way he is. 

Why should he be different? 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Understand that he is you. You are each other's thoughts. You are one with all that is. 

@Preety_India  Maybe it's because of the expectation that we want those people nearer to us behave like us? I think most people do (even Leo in one of his video).. Not really like us, but more in an open minded and accepting way you know. Stern father figure (from my family) are always hard headed and want everyone follow them. Guess what, I'm a hard headed millennial who wont follow as well lol..

Point is, I just want to have people around me to be open-minded. My Mom is always open and warm since so I don't have problems with her, only after a few years when my stepdad is in the picture.

Edited by Recress

@Recress you can start by respecting his differences 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

He is the best thing that has ever happened to you if you can see. 

Al-Anon meetings helped me greatly in learning to "Let Go, Let God" and trust that each person is being guided by a higher power on their soul's journey through this lifetime. Al-Anon pertains to alcoholics specifically, but the philosophies and 12 Step practices can apply to all types of people, including letting go of trying to change my mom, who is not an alcoholic but has abusive qualities. CODA (Codependency Anonymous) is also a good program to help with these matters where one can relate with others struggling with similar issues.