ryank940

What's Missing From Personal Development?

14 posts in this topic

With all of the personal development material out there, what do you feel is missing from the market?

From all of the personal development products from books, blogs, online courses, youtube videos and seminars, what else do you wish was included in these products that you think would make it easier for you to make the changes you seek to make?

I believe that everything i need to learn as far as self help goes already exists. There is enough material for decades of implementation. Now that i think about it a nice guidebook for every country on how to start a business would be nice. 

@ryank940

It is not one single skill that makes the difference; it is the complex interaction between many subjects and skills that forms this one meta skill / area of expertise. A synthesis is required here. 

There are no ‘new things’ - what seems ‘new’ is just the way you make a lot of ‘old’ things interact with each other.

Produce ‘new’ skills by mixing things that people never thought could exist together. 

For this, a lot of research is needed. Study the greats; see how they synthesised knowledge to produce something different; how they found the loopholes; how it suit their times, etc. You need to notice the trends and optimise it. 

Thus, answering your question:

There’s nothing ‘missing’ from the market - what’s needed is a keen eye to turn these old / already existing principles into something appropriate, valuable for the current times. 

Personally, I wish there was more intelligent synthesis between a plethora of very different subjects that people never thought could fit well together, to produce one completely new, surprising area of mastery.

What areas you wish to work with is your choice, according to your interests and strengths. 

I’m so done with this present, mundane, over-used and abused idea of personal development. 

Edited by xxxx

@BlackMaze Agreed, everything you need to know about the theory exists, but if you're like most people you're going to have times where you procrastinate, feel unmotivated, get confused etc. There will always be delays and setbacks in getting to your goals, a lot of these are self inflicted of course.

How could personal development theory be improved to help you more effectively reach your goals?

Could it be taught in a way that keeps you on track with your goals?

Could it be taught in a way that motivates you more?

@ryank940 what Leo did and does is amazing. We have a huge catalogue of topics. Other than that there is the blueprint and the book list. I don't think the problem is with the way everyone teaches. It's about prioritizing what you have to work on first. For example for me the first big problem was health and very low energy. Now that i have more energy i can work out. Because of this i feel even better and i can work on my life purpose and so on. There is always improvement if you prioritize right. Look at the booklist. I decided to read all the books there. There is a book for every single one of your problems. You choose one that tackles your bigger problem first. I know what to do and there is no lack of material or good teachers in my experience. It's just a matter of doing the work. 

There are also books about procrastination and every problem you can think of. It's just a matter of identifying the problem and start the work to improve. 

Edited by BlackMaze

@xxxx I fully agree, I think some topics could be integrated and combined.

Do you find some of the topics mundane because so many people have taught the same thing, or do you find them mundane because some of them could be more effective, or both?

If a range of different subjects were combined to create a fascinating new area of personal development that you had never came across before, would you like anything else to change too, like the way it was taught? Would you like it to be taught in a more interactive way? Would you like it to be taught in a way that tested that you understood all of the content? or in a way that gets you to track your progress and ideas?

Or are you happy with the way personal development is taught, but it's just some of the subject matter that could so with some originality to it?

@BlackMaze If Leo came to you and said, is there any way that these videos could be tailored more towards your needs, what would you say?

For example, if you're someone that likes to look at personal development as a sequence of improvements, targeting health first, then working out, then working on the life purpose. You might feel Leo's videos could include more detail on the sequence of improvements he went through and in what order, starting from weight loss, dating etc.

I'm asking this in the context of someone who wants to create unique and original content in personal development, i'm just wondering what people feel they'd like more of and what would make a personal development teacher stand out to them, amongst the thousands that already exist.

1 hour ago, ryank940 said:

what do you feel is missing from the market?

Something that tells you to stop taking other people's understandings and philosophies and adopting them.

Create your own philosophy from your own thinking. 

Life is completely subjective, do not make other people's views of life become yours.

This is huge i think.

@ryank940 i would say nah i'm fine xD

Leo already did this starting from simpler topics moving upwards. I personally like to choose what to work on each time and having a huge list of things to work on is nice. 

But as a reader of your book for example if let's say you wrote one that talks about self development i would like i guess to be spoonfed the right order of the things to work on. For example first of all fix your sleep. To do this you need to do this and that. After that improve your diet etc. I don't find it necessary but i guess i would like a clear roadmap to avoid the work of finding out for myself or to eliminate confusion. It's both a good thing and a bad thing. 

1 hour ago, ryank940 said:

1) Do you find some of the topics mundane because so many people have taught the same thing

2) or do you find them mundane because some of them could be more effective, or both?

3) If a range of different subjects were combined to create a fascinating new area of personal development that you had never came across before, would you like anything else to change too, like the way it was taught? Would you like it to be taught in a more interactive way?

4) Would you like it to be taught in a way that tested that you understood all of the content?

5) or in a way that gets you to track your progress and ideas?

6) Or are you happy with the way personal development is taught, but it's just some of the subject matter that could so with some originality to it?

Questions 1, 2 and 6:

The answer is yes. I’m tired of the subject matter that this personal development community uses; It wouldn’t matter to me if delivery is good enough until the subject matter is great. 

I’d happily give a lot more money to these ‘boring’ people than to that over-excited 20-something that talks about ‘the hustle’.

Question 3:

Depends on what areas you’re choosing - it would be better if there’s some real-time research / data, and actual experimental tests, over the short-term and the long-term that actually give people that feeling of change. Basically, using AI to develop better understanding of the variables that you’re looking to affect - an intelligent use of technology, perhaps? Give people real answers through actual methods, not through some fancy booklet / newsletters. It’s the age of AI, make use of it. Design intelligent stuff - from interface to evaluation. 

Question 4:

Yes - I do not know what your style of delivery is, but I’d suggest you keep it original. Work on voice modulation, etc., if you are going to create videos. However, most importantly, content is what matters. The content should be wholesome. 

Make it as user-friendly, and customer-centric as possible. 

It will take work, and delegation, but it is worth it in the long-term. Work on building that loyal base. 

Also remember, you are dealing with a generation with a short attention span; they aren’t going to watch long videos or read long stuff - see how you can work on getting them involved - this takes real skill.

Question 5: 

Answer lies in the Question 3.

Again, the question you need to ask yourself is - who is your actual target audience, and what kind of content you wish to create? 

Edited by xxxx

What I think is most important is as much accountability as possible, especially with reach your goals. That's why there are so many communities that have a common goal, they are accountabile for each other. Now here's a problem, two goals can conflict with one another, meaning one's goal is in the way of other's goal, that's how rivalrly is created. Both can want to win, but the other has to lose(in a certain context.)

For example:

Two people have a goal of creating a life together. Now these two people will have to be accountabile for one another, this means they will have to work towards the goal to live together, how they do it? they could do things together, they could talk about common interests, they could live together, but most importantly they have to be accountable for each other. If one person says they going to do x then the other person should help the one person to do the x.

Where does accountability play in here? with this example.

What's missing in the self-help community is actual moderation of the wanted achievable goal.

The importance of slowing down/lifestyle minimalism. It's so easy for self actualizers to forget that life needs to be slow and simple for true growth to occur.