Twega

Nootropics & Neuroplasticity

7 posts in this topic

This STUDY  suggests that some nootropics will impair neuroplasticity, especially in adolescents.

from the paper “Thus, modafinil could induce changes in plasticity or behavioral rigidity, and potentially damage WM, logical thinking, and decision making. It has been reported that prolonged wakefulness induces experience-dependent synaptic plasticity in mouse hypocretin/orexin neurons.”

@Michael569 thoughts?

@Twega I'm actually researching neuroplasticity atm for my next blog post specifically looking at BDNF so may have more insight in a week. You know, I wouldn't be surprised if something that is constantly manipulating your neurotransmitter reuptake actually had a damaging effect to neuroplasticity....that wouldn't be surprising at all. 

EDIT: especially in the brain of adolescent I think this can be more profound. For example teenagers suffering from depression may have an Amygdala double the e size of a regular non-depressed person and a much thinner cortex by the time they are 30 so if you dose nootropics from your early 20s I can imagine it possibly having a long-term effect.  

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

The concept of irreversible brain damage has always terrified me the most in health.

There really needs to be more research on drugs like modafinil tbh. I don't know if it's a mega miracle or the new cigarette

Psychopharmacology is such an interesting field, but I do not really have the ability to read academic studies like that, would take me hours.

TBF, this article looks particularly intriguing ... I'm gonna have to try & read it. Too many big words but I get the gist is that no one really knows anything. I feel like anecdotal is the best evidence. 

Edited by Striving for more

@Michael569 https://hackernoon.com/im-32-and-spent-200k-on-biohacking-became-calmer-thinner-extroverted-healthier-happier-2a2e846ae113

Have you ever read Serge Faucet's articles? I remember reading his article a couple years back, & it opened my eye to the idea of extreme biohacking with technology & supplements. 

There's definitely some positive but also more dark themes to his post, 1 being his disturbing enthusiasm for the growing wealth inequality that will apparently lead divisions in "intelligence" due to wealthy people being able to afford all the biohacking stuff that will  make them superhuman whereas the poor will just lag behind in intelligence as they can't get hold of the same technologies. 

He suggested that like with how there's now crazy doping drugs for the body, soon there will be brain steroids invented. 

He also endorses taking modafinil every morning. 

He also thinks he could live till 1000 years. 

He also suggests normal people should buy hearing aids as that can make your hearing go from normal to Optimal .. I'm not death but have poor hearing so I am considering this in the future. 

Edited by Striving for more

10 hours ago, Striving for more said:

@Michael569 https://hackernoon.com/im-32-and-spent-200k-on-biohacking-became-calmer-thinner-extroverted-healthier-happier-2a2e846ae113

He suggested that like with how there's now crazy doping drugs for the body, soon there will be brain steroids invented. 

If they're invented they'll probably have side effects as severe as steroids & take many years off your life span.

Edited by Michal__

@Striving for more i am not against or pro anything in general, i like to look at the person doing this and their rationale. 

For example if you told me you are doing supervised fasting as a part of cancer treatment it is different than if you intermittent fast because you have an eating disorder or don't like to eat. 

When we discussed your case and what you told me in your case i would start with eating regularly and not doing any fast whatsoever but to someone else that advice may change

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus