After doing some research it seems that vegan diets have a lot going for them:

• Extraordinarily healthy
  • Massively beneficial to the environment
  • There is no biological reason to consume animal products
  • Withdraws financial support from unethical farming practices

So far the only reasons not to go vegan that I've been able to find are:

• It's inconvenient
  • There are a number of indulgent food choices that would be off limits

Looking for some feedback from people who have made the switch and their experience with it (positive or negative).

"It's better to light a candle than curse the darkness"

Presence.  Acceptance.  Purpose.

There's so much great vegan food out there! The variety in my food has only increased since going vegan. I've learned to cook more and have many more cuisine types in my diet. And the amount of alternatives to meat and dairy is only growing larger every day, it's super easy especially if you live in a major city.

There are a ton of good resources out there (vegankit.com), and if you have anything specific you're wondering about, feel free to fire away.

I've also considered becoming a vegan. However, a doctor who I've recently visited, told me that I should seriously reconsider my diet. According to him, I am not getting enough nutrients. In fact, there was a reason why I've visited him in the first place (he's a gynecologist). I am not sure if this doctor is actually right about it, but he scared me quite a bit.

We are all different, of course. So the diet might work for some, if done right. Anyway, right now I took a step back and trying to figure out what works best for me.

If you're not getting enough nutrients, then I would think that a vegan diet full of nutrient dense plants would be an ideal solution.  OBGYNs are not trained nutritionists but for a variety of reasons its taboo to tell people not to believe what their doctors say.

Phocus, I agree with all your points regarding the benefits of going vegan. I don't claim to be vegan in all social contexts, but at home or when I am outside and have decent options, I generally am. I do some cooking, but where I am (major city), there are plenty of options that I don't need to cook if I don't have the time. I do think that becoming vegan requires some planning, as it is easy to be an unhealthy vegan if you focus on the wrong kind of vegan food.

There are many resources out there, but any good vegan cookbook would do the trick (just check out any good bookstore). In general, it's probably better to cook when you can, or find heath food stores in your area. Obviously, vegetables and fruit are key, but there's more to it than just that as I find it hard to get enough calories doing just fruit and vegetables. As far as I know, vegans are most likely to be deficient in B vitamins, but this can be easily solved by taking a supplement (works for me). I suggest reading the book "Whole: Rethinking the Science of Nutrition" for a scientific foundation, and also watching the documentary "Forks over knives" and "Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret"

I would say that the main reason for being vegan (for me personally) would be to reduce animal suffering, as there is definitely a holocaust going on just out of sight. I think people pretend to not see it for whatever reason (culture, habit, taste, texture, selfishness etc.). For this aspect, I recommend watching the documentary "Earthlings". Secondly, In my experience, there almost certainly are health benefits, but this may be hard to prove initially (I mean cause and effect is always problematic to pin down accurately in a complex system, right?). Also, as you mentioned, a knowledgeable nutritionist is better qualified to give nutrition advice than an OBGYN.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my experience with being vegan for just over a year now.

Before I changed my lifestyle, I used to consume meat and dairy products almost every single day. I had considered becoming vegan for a couple of years based on the science and ethical issues behind it, and also from talking with my cousin who had been vegan for about 5 years (and was in incredible shape) I knew it could be done successfully while still lifting/training, but it seemed too time consuming to make that shift properly while I was busy with work and grad school. 

I had seen "forks over knives" and other docs like that years ago, and had semi frequently messaged my cousin (he lived out of state) about his diet, so I was already somewhat knowledgeable about veganism I felt. But after watching "Cowspiracy" shortly after it was released and realizing the environmental issues and perceived government cover ups/ big business calling the shots, I decided to go completely vegan.

Fortunately, I feel I was fairly well educated in nutrition and had the encouragement/endless information from my vegan cousin to help my throughout my shift.

I have talked to many people who have tried a vegan diet and were doing it terribly wrong and felt horrible. I on the other hand felt nothing but drastic improvements in my physical and even mental health quite quickly. I know everyone's body chemistry is different and we all take to different foods/nutrients differently, but I believe the majority of people that live in a society that has the resources for them to adopt a vegan diet should do so or at least try it out in a proper way. 

My physique has improved drastically due to my diet changes. I have had fantastic strength gains in the gym, my skin is clearer, my mentality has improved, etc.

I initially went vegan because of the environmental issues and health benefits, but now realize the HUGE ethics and animal welfare issues. I was always aware of how poorly animals were treated in factory farms and other facilities, but now I feel a much deeper compassion (it just happened subconsciously overtime it seems) that I feel others will attain after going vegan.  

I really don't feel the need to post studies or explain more scientifically the reasons a vegan diet is the way to go, because the research is so easily accessible and is fortunately becoming more widely realized/accepted by the masses (slowly but surely).

If anyone is considering going vegan and has any questions about nutrition, strength training, etc. please ask me and I would be happy to help! :)

1 hour ago, gian said:

Hey everyone, I just wanted to share my experience with being vegan for just over a year now.

Before I changed my lifestyle, I used to consume meat and dairy products almost every single day. I had considered becoming vegan for a couple of years based on the science and ethical issues behind it, and also from talking with my cousin who had been vegan for about 5 years (and was in incredible shape) I knew it could be done successfully while still lifting/training, but it seemed too time consuming to make that shift properly while I was busy with work and grad school. 

I had seen "forks over knives" and other docs like that years ago, and had semi frequently messaged my cousin (he lived out of state) about his diet, so I was already somewhat knowledgeable about veganism I felt. But after watching "Cowspiracy" shortly after it was released and realizing the environmental issues and perceived government cover ups/ big business calling the shots, I decided to go completely vegan.

Fortunately, I feel I was fairly well educated in nutrition and had the encouragement/endless information from my vegan cousin to help my throughout my shift.

I have talked to many people who have tried a vegan diet and were doing it terribly wrong and felt horrible. I on the other hand felt nothing but drastic improvements in my physical and even mental health quite quickly. I know everyone's body chemistry is different and we all take to different foods/nutrients differently, but I believe the majority of people that live in a society that has the resources for them to adopt a vegan diet should do so or at least try it out in a proper way. 

My physique has improved drastically due to my diet changes. I have had fantastic strength gains in the gym, my skin is clearer, my mentality has improved, etc.

I initially went vegan because of the environmental issues and health benefits, but now realize the HUGE ethics and animal welfare issues. I was always aware of how poorly animals were treated in factory farms and other facilities, but now I feel a much deeper compassion (it just happened subconsciously overtime it seems) that I feel others will attain after going vegan.  

I really don't feel the need to post studies or explain more scientifically the reasons a vegan diet is the way to go, because the research is so easily accessible and is fortunately becoming more widely realized/accepted by the masses (slowly but surely).

If anyone is considering going vegan and has any questions about nutrition, strength training, etc. please ask me and I would be happy to help! :)

I actually have some questions. I am not a vegan because I think this is too costly and too time consuming.

• Do you take any supplements, if so, how many and how often?
  • How expensive is it to be on a healthy vegan diet where you get everything you need and still make muscle gains in the gym?
  • How much time do you spend in the kitchen, cooking and creating vegan meals?
  • How often do you go shopping for vegan ingredients?
  • Do you notice any downsides to your vegan diet?
  • How often and how much do you have to eat every day to feel sated/full, especially if you want to make gainz?

Looking forward to your reply, cheers :D

Before I became vegan I was vegetarian (who ate milk and eggs) for ten years. I finally became vegan after seeing Forks over Knives, No Impact Man, Cowspiracy and Supersize Me, among others. I also like Ralph Smart and he recommended it. Then I read how much animals suffer even for milk and egg production and decided to become vegan then and there.

Even though not everything is sunshine and roses about this, I haven't regretted this decision. After I became vegan, I realized that all animal products always disgusted me. It was subtle but it was there.

The "downsides" of vegan diet in my opinion are that you cannot get (good) vegan food in most restaurants, you feel a little hungry all the time, you can actually gain weight if you indulge in fat, salt and sugar and that you basically have to cook everything.

None of it matters though, because vegan diet just feel so damn good and right. It's hard to put into words. But I feel like this is what I was born to eat.

@The Alchemist Hey! My apologies for the late reply. I will answer these questions in the order you asked them.

1. I have taken supplements for years, even before I went vegan. I work at a supplement store so I take a decent amount of things. Multi, D3, Tumeric, Vegan Omega 3, Cordyceps, Ginkgo, ZMA, vegan protein powder, and creatine. The common worry with b12 is quite common, and I can that from my multi. Vegans can easily obtain b12 through fortified foods, nutritional yeast, various supplements, etc. And the other supplements I listed are from my own personal choice and research, not because I need them because of my vegan diet. If you want any more detail on why I take what I take let me know.

2. Groceries are honestly LESS expensive for me now that I do not spend money on grass fed beef, free range eggs, and other animal products. I do not cook everything I eat, and there are a handful of vegan foods I buy prepackaged in the grocery store or at my job. Looking through my purchases, it is hard to give an exact number. I mix it up all the time rarely eat the exact same thing 2 days in a row. I'd say I spend about $100-$180/week on food (trust me, if I needed to spend less on food I definitely could while still getting all of the calories/nutrients I need). But once again, I don't go and buy food, eat/cook every last thing until my kitchen is empty, then go to the store again. 

Below I will just list my staple foods.

Whole Food Based:
Rice, quinoa, beans (all kinds), almonds (im allergic to all other nuts), oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, tofu, seitan, tempeh, bananas, apples, sweet potatoes, dates, kale, broccoli, cacao, the list goes on (including various other fruits and vegetables) 

*i may have forgot some others*

"Goodies":
Beyond Beef Crumbles, Lenny & Larry's Complete Cookies, D's Naturals Almond Butters and protein bars on occasion, various vegan protein powders.

Now regarding protein, you can get all you need from the foods, but I still supplement with vegan protein powders here and there if I am short on time/at work all day. Some days I may get 50 or so grams of protein from powders, others not at all. (My protein goals are around 135g/day and I consume close to 3000 calories/day)

3. It depends. nights like tonight after working 10 hours (I brought some dry foods with me to work as I eat most of my food at night with IF) I threw in beans, rice, carrots, and asparagus into a rice cooker and I have a huge meal ready (and some left over for tomorrow) Took me about 10 minutes to prepare and I wait 45minutes until it is cooked. Sometimes I will spend longer times preparing food, but never much longer than an hour (and that is quite rare)

4. I shop just as frequently as I did before I was vegan, About once or twice a week.

5. The only downside is that there are not more vegan alternatives available at stores or restaurants. But that is changing drastically. 

6. Like I said I do IF (intermittent fasting) o I basically have an 8 hour window through which I eat all of my calories. I use myfitnesspal so I know I get the right macros and calories. As I mentioned before, I eat about 3000 calories/day and of that about 135g of protein.

I have experienced nothing but improvements in the gym, my physique (which is also partly due to IF) and my mentality since going vegan. Once you get the hang of it it is incredibly easy. It seriously doesn't even feel like a "thing" anymore. I just don't consume animal products and it is not difficult at all. You just need to get your nutrition and food knowledge down and that's that :)

@gian Thank you for the amazing reply gian. You sure it's not gain tho? :P (too bad we don't have a bizeps smiley) The fact that you see so many improvements is very interesting. Of course I'd like those benefits too...maybe I should to a 30 day vegan challenge or sth.

@The Alchemist You're welcome! I'm glad you found it helpful.  And ironically I used to be called "gain" often when I was younger  (but now it takes on a whole new meaning haha gainnnzzzzzzz)

But I would highly recommend at least trying it out for a week or two. That's the only way to find out if it works well for you ;)

I felt a noticeable difference even after a few weeks if I recall correctly. BUT everyones body and genetics are different so it may not be as dramatically beneficial for everyone in the same way. Only one way to find out!

If you do the 30 day vegan challenge let me know if you have any questions at all :)

I only can affirm the experiences of the other vegans out here. I'm a vegan for 5 years now, vegetarian for 10 years.  If you do it more or less right, you'll feel healthier, have more energy, and be more conscious about food and what it is doing to your body.

For me, veganism fits perfectly to self-actualization and self-development, and it is a paradigm for how changing yourself can have an impact to the world. When I started, I still was kind of an outsider and it was somehow hard to actually find vegan substitutes for e.g. cheese and meat, but what was going on over the last couple of years is simply amazing concerning that; it is so easy to go vegan right now that there isn't really any good excuse not doing this. Sure, vegan substitutes are still more expensive, but I wouldn't suggest you to buy much of them anyways, just stick with the unprocessed vegetables (if you argue that fresh vegetables are too expensive: well, then a healthy lifestyle in general seems to be too expensive for you).

Sure, in the beginning it's hard to go that step, most of us have been conditioned our whole lifes to eat meat, milk, cheese and all kind of crap. It's only natural to procrastinate and bullshitting oneself with cheap excuses. Fortunately, we already have the tools at hand: just go on www.actualized.org.

Great energy. Great feeling knowing you're doing the right thing. Vegan food starts tasting way better after the first few months as your taste adapts. Veganism for the win!

I told my girlfriend I would cheat on being a vegan for special occasions and I had some pepperoni pizza last night.  After being vegan for about a week and then going back, it felt SOOO incredibly unhealthy!  And obviously, that's because it is unhealthy but I have had a lot of pizza and this was a different experience.  I am quite glad that I have undertaken this dietary change.