SamC

Please, help me Leo, I'm lost! - I know my LP but half of my ❤ says music!

25 posts in this topic

@SamC
Yo, you know why da Vinci was so good at doing all of these things? Because getting better at one skill makes you automatically better at second, just like you can't just train your biceps all the time and expect to become the next Arnold Schwarzenneger, right? Just like whatever you want to do, you should still eat healthy, exercise, get quality sleep, etc. 

Joe Rogan was talking about this in one of his podcasts, getting better at things you suck in the beginning makes you better, tougher, more disciplined, humble, and that's what you are looking for here.

Edited by 28 cm unbuffed

6 hours ago, Siba said:

@SamC

Yeah, right?! :D

Yes, I did. I thought I should do that with art though. Maybe because my whole life I wanted to be an artist and didn't want to give up on that idea. But only through going down that road I realized that this way is insufficient and not quite right for me. So I guess this is a good example of a life purpose morphing into something else through doing the process.

Yeah I get it. Go follow your ❤ @Siba 

If you have any cool art that can give people insights about themselves that you would like to share, shoot me a PM. I would love to see them!

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

6 hours ago, 28 cm unbuffed said:

@SamC
Yo, you know why da Vinci was so good at doing all of these things? Because getting better at one skill makes you automatically better at second, just like you can't just train your biceps all the time and expect to become the next Arnold Schwarzenneger, right? Just like whatever you want to do, you should still eat healthy, exercise, get quality sleep, etc. 

100% love this.

6 hours ago, 28 cm unbuffed said:

Joe Rogan was talking about this in one of his podcasts, getting better at things you suck in the beginning makes you better, tougher, more disciplined, humble, and that's what you are looking for here.

Super true. Hopefully no aliens will come and steal our DMT tho ;)

You're not alone in this, friend. I'm in the middle of figuring that out for myself, too — songwriting or writing about psychology and self-love and all of that stuff?

I don't think you necessarily need to choose either/or right now. It sounds like you're at a stage of life where you're still experimenting with things.

Oftentimes, we need to go through the process of doing the activities first before we can get a sense of whether we would be willing to spend most of our waking hours doing it. Also, keep in mind that you won't like everything about a particular activity. A good question to ask along with "what do I enjoy doing for the sake of doing?" is "what pain am I willing to sustain?"

I've been doing music for the past 5+ years now. I self-recorded two albums in my parents' walk-in closet. I've been live gigging for the past two years in a small town and have had some fun doing it. Last year, I recorded an album in a professional studio. All of my song lyrics have to do with personal development.

All of these things have been like "little bets" for me, gauging how well the music profession fits my arrogant, independent, deep, monologuing, autistic type of personality. So far, so good, but I have my worries about touring and whatnot. I can be pretty lazy physically, and I don't like to haul too much equipment. Nor do I like talking to crowds that have no understanding of psychological integration and would rather just hear "Freebird."

Lately, I've been branching back into writing, and I find myself switching between the two. I'm wondering if writing will win out in the end, because I spend most of my waking hours reading and researching. I have little desire to get better at my instruments of choice (acoustic guitar and piano). 

I hope that by describing my situation, you can get a sense that this whole life purpose business is nuanced. Sometimes, our purpose can't be monetized right away or at all. And that's okay. You've got to tailor a life that fits your specific needs and personality.

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov

14 minutes ago, jjer94 said:

You're not alone in this, friend. I'm in the middle of figuring that out for myself, too — songwriting or writing about psychology and self-love and all of that stuff?

I don't think you necessarily need to choose either/or right now. It sounds like you're at a stage of life where you're still experimenting with things.

Oftentimes, we need to go through the process of doing the activities first before we can get a sense of whether we would be willing to spend most of our waking hours doing it. Also, keep in mind that you won't like everything about a particular activity. A good question to ask along with "what do I enjoy doing for the sake of doing?" is "what pain am I willing to sustain?"

I've been doing music for the past 5+ years now. I self-recorded two albums in my parents' walk-in closet. I've been live gigging for the past two years in a small town and have had some fun doing it. Last year, I recorded an album in a professional studio. All of my song lyrics have to do with personal development.

All of these things have been like "little bets" for me, gauging how well the music profession fits my arrogant, independent, deep, monologuing, autistic type of personality. So far, so good, but I have my worries about touring and whatnot. I can be pretty lazy physically, and I don't like to haul too much equipment. Nor do I like talking to crowds that have no understanding of psychological integration and would rather just hear "Freebird."

Lately, I've been branching back into writing, and I find myself switching between the two. I'm wondering if writing will win out in the end, because I spend most of my waking hours reading and researching. I have little desire to get better at my instruments of choice (acoustic guitar and piano). 

I hope that by describing my situation, you can get a sense that this whole life purpose business is nuanced. Sometimes, our purpose can't be monetized right away or at all. And that's okay. You've got to tailor a life that fits your specific needs and personality.

Bro I love this so much man! I will check out your music and your writing. You seem super chill! 

It's so true it's a process and I'm still super young ( 19 years old). Thanks for your input. You inspire me!