DefinitelyNotARobot

Questions about Leo's mindfulness video

6 posts in this topic

I've just watched "Mindfulness Meditation - A Complete Guide With Techniques & Examples" and I've got a couple of questions.

What's the point of labeling stuff? What is the point of labeling sounds as "hear" and sights as "see"?

What about stuff that can't be fit into those categories? What about smell? Intention?

Should I label emotions accurately? Leo said that if you're unsure about what an emotion is, you should just make a guess. Can I just label it with an adjective like "intense", or "burning" instead?

I'm basically just trying to understand the point or essence of this exercise. Mindfulness meditation for me is about observing stuff without judging it Be it a sound, sight, smell or feeling. Is labeling stuff just another layer to this?

beep boop

Only use 3 labels: see, hear, feel.

Everything will fall under those labels.

Smell and taste will just fall under feel.

Do not invent anything new. This is not an exercise in creativity or thinking. The point is that it forces your mind to focus and be mindful.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

This exercise really helped me to cope with a lot of stress. I stopped doing it but it became a nice habit for a while and was labeling sometimes outside of meditation.