levani

how much sleep is optimal / healthy

29 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, levani said:

it's all horse bro, fake science

I dunno, Matt Walker quotes some serious research in his book. Ofcourse science rarely has all the answers but deliberately cuttin one's sleep short you're burning your longevity candle from both ends. That also applies about too much sleep. Somewhere around 9 hours + the curve bends the other way and the longer you sleep the worse it is for your health especially the Cardiovasc. system. 

sleep.JPG

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569  his group sample is not 7 billion people

@Striving for more i feel absolutely shit if i sleep for more than 5.5 hours (even if i want to sleep more)

now a days i think i'm quite happy with 3-3.5

but this isn't a dick measuring contest, everyone's different genetically and whatever else 

@Striving for more also sleep is not about quantity it's about knowledge, psychology, quality and a lot of other things

i fucked with sleep for a few years but i can only speak for myself, everyone is different

1 hour ago, levani said:

now a days i think i'm quite happy with 3-3.5

@levani

Woah that's such an advantage. Have you always been that way ?

What did you do to optimize sleep?

@Striving for more bro i know people rant against sadghuru but youtube: sadghuru sleep and watch a few videos on it

also just experiment with your sleep

it doesn't have to be monophadic, you can have 6 x 20 minite sleeps during 24h and feel better than 1 x 8h sleep

there is biphasic sleep, triphasic, etc etc

google: different sleep cycles and go from there

also i'd ask michael, he's into health i think

I think the key is to focus on sleep quality, not amount of sleep.

It's really not as simple as more sleep = better rested. I have had times where I felt better rested with less sleep, and way more tired waking up with more sleep. It might be something to do with interrupting the sleep cycles, I'm not sure. But, I know sleep is way more nuanced than most people think. 

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

@levani Body goes into a repair mode during sleep, so would depend on how much repair and unwinding one needs. Contributing factors are the quality of life-style, stress levels, diet, etc. The better one manages those things, less sleep one might need for repair. I've read somewhere that even with optimum life style and solid meditation practice in place (for stress reduction and unwinding), at least 4 hrs of sleep is still desired. 

@Natasha the thing is when i was fasting I literally automatically woke up after 2-2.5 hours of sleep mad recovered and had my usual 20-30m nap during the day and i felt like a daisy.. and a half

@Village true bro