tatsumaru

How to stop watching TV shows so I can read books and do meaningful work?

5 posts in this topic

I am addicted to TV shows. Whenever I have some free time that I can use to develop my life, read cool books and do meaningful work I default to either watching TV shows or napping. One of the main reasons is that I suffer from insomnia and chronic fatigue, and so I maintain a pretty low-energy status and I think because of it my brain defaults to energy conserving activities. In fact when I sleep better I read more and have better impulse control. Yet I think that's only 50% of the problem. I think there are the other 50% which are just pure addiction. The reason is that TV shows are a type of mental masturbation that tricks the brain into believing that your life is interesting because the story in the show is interesting. You get instant gratification - just press play and your brain gets positive feedback. I have a bunch of cool projects I want to work on and dozens of books that I've been meaning to read, but I just can't motivate myself to start doing it. Even when I read I take too many breaks to either watch TV shows or something stupid.

There's one more big problem too - because I am an introvert and also because of my health issues I practically don't have any social life and I don't have any friends at all and I almost never go out. TV shows fool my brain into believing that I am not completely alone. So when I read books or work on projects that feeling of loneliness starts to creep in and to distract me from my work so I start watching TV shows to suppress it again.

What can I do? I just want to read my books and do meaningful work  so I can make progress with my goals. Thank you.

take walks in nature

get some healthy distance

what do you do for a living?

You should give your Tv to someone else. Or just break it with a hammer.

About the emotional issues... I can't recommend enough the shadow work.

The other thing is you should try to walk in the nature.

Exhaust it. Do it more. Do it more. When you have suffered enough you will naturally want to stop. 

Take a walk, take up Yoga, take up meditation, take up breathwork. Talk up some friend. Head to the beach. Read a book. Talk to your parents. Learn a new language/instrument/hobby. 

Pick your absolute favorite show. Make time for it. Drop the guilt. Pick the book you absolutely want to read the most. Make time for it. Find a zoom meeting or a group for something you're really interested in, make time for it. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost