Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Axiomatic

Finishing my bachelors, yet I am at a crossroads

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so I am currently in my junior year of college and going on to my second semester in January. I am currently majoring in business administration/business management. I like the major, because it seems to have a lot of avenues for career paths. 

But lately I have been doing some soul searching, and I realize that although I am making steps towards growth and a purpose/career, I am still unsure of what that actual vision entails. I don't have a real idea of what I would want to do as far as a true solid career choice. I just know I want to finish my degree. I feel like I am just trying to get through school and hope that I can find an avenue to go down when the next step comes. And that makes me nervous.

I am trying to brainstorm different ways that I could apply myself so that I could use my degree to enhance my career path. So I am trying to think of anything from internships/on the job training, to seeing if any of my personal interest could be utilized. For example: I have always been pretty talented at writing. I don't really know how that could apply here, but it is an idea.

I was in the military and worked cyber security for a few years, though I didn't feel a real calling to it. But my brother is in computer information systems and landed a pretty well paying gig in his area. He thought maybe it would be a good idea to go that route and have a more specific route for my degree. So I have considered switching it up.

I like the idea of marketing as well. My uncle is in marketing and seems to do well for himself. I have always found the principles of marketing somewhat interesting.

I really just want to make my vision more clear besides just finishing school. I feel like it would help me stay motivated and less likely to end up in a career that I dislike or feels like a dead end. Is there any ideas or advice people can give me to further these ideas?

p.s. I can't afford the life purpose course. So please don't recommend that as a simple answer. 

2 hours ago, Axiomatic said:

p.s. I can't afford the life purpose course.

Business student who can't afford $300? What are they teaching ya'll there xD

2 hours ago, Axiomatic said:

I really just want to make my vision more clear besides just finishing school.

This is the sense I get as well from your post. You're lacking the long term vision. Without that vision, you just end up making decisions that benefit you in the short term.

So the big thing for you is to think longer.

Don't think about what to do when you get out of college. Think about where you want to be in your 40s, 50s or even 60s.

Once you have a better idea of that, become extremely strategic and work backwards. Break it up into chunks. If I know I want X at age 50, what do I need to accomplish by 40? 30? 25?

The next piece of this is that you're probably going to feel unclear of where you want to be in your 50s. This is where you're going to have to experiment and continually follow things you're interested in.

For instance, if writing is the most exciting thing to you right now, then go with that.

It's also okay if the vision changes. You can't possibly know everything that is going happen, especially when you're on a path of self-actualization. But start somewhere and keep refining it over time.

@Axiomatic I'm in a similar situation man (junior year in economics and math). Also unsure about what to do after college. Hang in there!

15 hours ago, Axiomatic said:

p.s. I can't afford the life purpose course

"Can't afford" and "not making it a priority" are different things. Unless you're destitute and barely scraping by on the brink of homelessness, you have ways of saving up $250 pretty quick.

Don't eat lunch for a month. Boom, $250 saved. It's not comfortable, but that's the kind of sacrifices that need to be made to live a life purpose. Eat nothing but ramen for a month. That's life as a student. Elon Musk slept in his office, stayed up all night coding on the same computer that ran Paypal's website during the day, to make it work. You can't achieve anything great by taking the easy route. Get a part-time job on campus, save money for a month for the course, and then quit.

Doing a business internship isn't life purpose, it's the status quo. It won't give you any more clarity or vision on what your life purpose is.

I've got to ignore your comment and tell you to get the life purpose course anyway. It's that important. Especially when you seem so directionless. It will save you years of struggling to figure it out on your own. I can't think of many things that are more worth spending $250 on. When the amount of money is so important to you, that just ensures you'll treat the course seriously and not skip any exercises once you get it.

Edited by Yarco

@Yarco with all due respect, I am not looking for your financial advice. you have no idea what my situation is. 

And I cannot eat ramen noodles every night. I am dealing with major health issues and have to have my gallbladder removed next month which will set me back financially. 

this post was made to hastily and is unhelpful. please stop acting like you understand my financial situation because you don't.