levani

how can programming or video editing be a life purpose

8 posts in this topic

As a 13-year-old..  this is about 12 years ago.. I remember I reached 2000 subscribers from making some videos on YouTube about cross-platform gaming and tips and tricks on how to use some Apple hardware and software. I enjoy doing this type of things but I am not entirely sure it's my life purpose as I am still scanning. I was just wondering how can programming or video editing help to society or any group of people or any niche in one way or another, do you have any clues because I don't ?

@levani

Video editing definitely can help. Almost every spiritual guru or spiritual product is online these days. And they ALL need video content filmed and edited.

It's actually a hugely valuable skill in today's world. I would have killed for a professional video editor when I was making youtube videos. I don't enjoy it much.

Programming can definitely help too. Think about meditation apps like Headspace, someone needed to program that. Cryptocurrancies that might change the financial system needs programmers. ReGenerative Village software needs programmers.

There are plenty of avenues to go into if that's what you like doing. These are just a few examples.

@aurum i feel you bro, it's definitely a plus but it doesn't feel like a life purpose itself as a core

10 minutes ago, levani said:

it doesn't feel like a life purpose itself as a core

Then don't do it. I was simply pointing out that it has potential.

Why doesn't it feel like a life purpose itself?

@aurum i think the question is the opposite for me, which is why would it or could it have the potential TO be the next 10-20 years of my life

@levani You need to think bigger. Video editing and programming are just skills that can be used towards whatever goals.

Those are very valuable skills these days, but your life's work needs to be about something more than just executing a skill.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

You're 13 and still figuring out who you are and what you want. Don't feel pressured to lock in a life purpose yet. One of the biggest mistakes that I think the current education system makes is trying to start pushing kids into a university program as soon as they enter high school.

At this point you should just be exploring and experimenting with what all of your options are. Make a list of everything that you think *might* be worth pursuing and then start trying them one at a time. 

Try to think all the way to your deathbed in 60+ years. What do you need to accomplish so that when you die, you'll feel like you lived a life of purpose? What does a great life look like to you? Start there and work backwards.

Then think of the opposite activities that you could get stuck on that you'll regret and would feel like resulted in a wasted life, and make sure to avoid those.

Even if you spend the next 7 years (that's 2,500+ days) trying a bunch of different stuff to figure out your life purpose, it'll be time well spent and you'll still be way ahead of most people at age 20.

Young people don't need to commit to one path super early on. Unless you find something that legitimately feels like your life's calling. Otherwise you can waste years going down the wrong path and end up changing your mind later on. It's one point in your life where dabbling instead of going after mastery is a good thing.

You can afford to follow whatever passion comes up. Spend a month starting a Youtube channel and see if you really love editing. Try making a program or game and see if programming feels right.

To contrast this -- do some short-term thinking too so you don't miss out on life. A non-trivial percentage of the population is going to get an unlucky roll of the dice and die before they're 18. That might be you. If you're going to get cancer or die in a car crash before your 18th birthday, what kind of stuff do you want to experience first? Don't forget to fall in love, have sex, play great video games, eat great food, and do dumb teenage shit in the next few years too. You don't have to go full monk mode at age 13. If you take life too seriously you might regret that too.

Edited by Yarco