Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SS10

Meditation with Marijuana

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever tried, or has an opinion on meditating whilst high? Is this a good idea or does it defeat the purpose?

Any thoughts?...

Yeah it can help you bust through a plateau maybe, but if you’re already killing it with jhanas and such there’d be no need, therefore I’ll assume you haven’t attained jhana, and as such I’d recommend following an established technique like TMI for at least a 1 hour sit every day. Jhana isn’t awakening but it sure as fuck makes whatever you’re not doing seem laughable if you do in fact attain it. It’s obscenely pleasant. So what? But if you feel you’re lacking well-being in meditation, I would recommend doing what you can to manifest 1st jhana if you haven’t already.

5 minutes ago, The0Self said:

Yeah it can help you bust through a plateau maybe, but if you’re already killing it with jhanas and such there’d be no need, therefore I’ll assume you haven’t attained jhana, and as such I’d recommend following an established technique like TMI for at least a 1 hour sit every day. Jhana isn’t awakening but it sure as fuck makes whatever you’re not doing seem laughable if you do in fact attain it. It’s obscenely pleasant. So what? But if you feel you’re lacking well-being in meditation, I would recommend doing what you can to manifest 1st jhana if you haven’t already.

This.

Jhana states are much more powerful than meditating while high. You get the pleasure, heightened perception/awareness, but without the mental fog and lack of focus. 

@Consilience I saw you mentioned in another thread "The Mind Illuminated", I just bought it recently and was wondering if you have any advice for someone just starting out with it that's had previous experience with meditation but nothing advanced? Looks super promising as my concentration has been seriously lacking as of late. 

@SS10 I find using weed sparingly can definitely be of use in a similar way to psychedelics without freaking you out as much and being overall more calming if you've found yourself too "edgy" for a while. If you do try look for a sativa strain like sour diesel as there's more clarity and focus; indica's can sorta just dope you out tbh so not recommended. 

4 hours ago, acidgoofy said:

meditating/contemplating while high is almost to good you have to be careful to not get addicted

ahaha see I can relate to that but find if I'm using too much it just puts me in a fog instead, like it can actually go both ways depending on how you use it. 

1 hour ago, Ry4n said:

I saw you mentioned in another thread "The Mind Illuminated", I just bought it recently and was wondering if you have any advice for someone just starting out with it that's had previous experience with meditation but nothing advanced? Looks super promising as my concentration has been seriously lacking as of late. 

That’s awesome to hear! My biggest piece of advice would say be extremely vigilant about not grasping for stages. That’s TMI’s biggest flaw is that its practitioners can unconsciously start creating attachments to making progress which will actually stop progress from unfolding. It’s also really not in the spirit of meditation practice to be grasping for stages and states. 

If you find yourself having become attached or are getting burnt out, Id switch to something like Do Nothing or Shinzen’s See Hear Feel. I spent about 2 months where I took a complete hiatus from TMI and focused exclusively on the Do Nothing and S/H/F techniques. When I returned to TMI practice, Id actually established myself in a higher stage of practice than when I left, despite not practicing it at all. 

Once you’ve gotten to stage 6, Id also start looking into Jhana practices. “Right Concentration” by Leigh Brasington is a good complimentary book for Jhana practice. 

Taking the time to develop shamatha and the Jhanas will start to facilitate psychedelic like states during practice, states that make perception feel spacious, fluid, flow like, expansive and empty. These states will start to really peel back the veil between the subconscious and conscious mind; the mind starts to “unify” the whole system with itself. Note this isnt the same as Absolute Truth, however from a relative pov I find this unification of the mind to be incredibly valuable and powerful. 

Feel free to dm for specific questions.