longusername12345

Is Learning To Fight Worthwhile?

10 posts in this topic

I've been practicing different Kung Fu styles for a year and am starting to wonder if it's really beneficial to self actualization? It has taught me self discipline, my body's potential, and willpower but is it really necessary? Us learning how to harm others actually useful?

Most defiantly, I always preach whether man or woman you must learn how to defend yourself.  If you or someone you love is in a serious threat you need to have confidence you can escape with minimal damage. 

Keep doing it, try sparing with another fighter if you really want to test yourself ;)

@longusername12345 Harming others isn't useful. But as men go, we always have in the back of our heads "what if this guy beats me to death if I say something stupid".... If you learn how to fight, this thought vanishes, and you can do what you want more confidently. Of course, you yourself have be a responsible person who doesn't cast violence to others. But you must understand the value of being free from how others intimidate you can give you. And I recommend learning either muay thai or jiujitsu. Kungfu, taekwondo, is cool, but it has a lot of 'show' in there. And you don't want to be a performer, right? So at least learn practical stuff. Military officers learn jiujitsu or muay thai, wrestling and judo, but they all say jiujitsu is such a more practical art than any other, so adapt to the times bro, don't still be living 1000 years ago trying to learn chinese kungfu. 

Remember, self discipline, power, mental strength all throws out the way when somebody is able to punch you in the face. Learn self discipline and peace of mind from someone like Leo or any meditation teachers. I'm not going to say that martial arts teachers cannot teach you those things, but I highly doubt any of them are really good at teaching those things. Any experienced sports player is capable of teaching those things as much as those martial arts teachers. Knowing how to fight doesn't immediately give you the right to teach anyone 'self discipline'. 

Edited by charlie cho

On 11/4/2020 at 5:16 PM, Bando said:

Most defiantly, I always preach whether man or woman you must learn how to defend yourself.  If you or someone you love is in a serious threat you need to have confidence you can escape with minimal damage. 

Keep doing it, try sparing with another fighter if you really want to test yourself ;)

Thanks for the input! I will continue training. The person who trains me, spars with me, but I haven't been consistent enough to do much of that. 

12 hours ago, charlie cho said:

@longusername12345 Harming others isn't useful. But as men go, we always have in the back of our heads "what if this guy beats me to death if I say something stupid".... If you learn how to fight, this thought vanishes, and you can do what you want more confidently. Of course, you yourself have be a responsible person who doesn't cast violence to others. But you must understand the value of being free from how others intimidate you can give you. And I recommend learning either muay thai or jiujitsu. Kungfu, taekwondo, is cool, but it has a lot of 'show' in there. And you don't want to be a performer, right? So at least learn practical stuff. Military officers learn jiujitsu or muay thai, wrestling and judo, but they all say jiujitsu is such a more practical art than any other, so adapt to the times bro, don't still be living 1000 years ago trying to learn chinese kungfu. 

Remember, self discipline, power, mental strength all throws out the way when somebody is able to punch you in the face. Learn self discipline and peace of mind from someone like Leo or any meditation teachers. I'm not going to say that martial arts teachers cannot teach you those things, but I highly doubt any of them are really good at teaching those things. Any experienced sports player is capable of teaching those things as much as those martial arts teachers. Knowing how to fight doesn't immediately give you the right to teach anyone 'self discipline'. 

Thank you for the input too! I really appreciate it. The guy that teaches me has done decades of research, self experimentation, and compiled a practical fighting system that works really well just takes a lot of work. I love your idea for meditation teachers. I will definitely implement that. A meditative mind is probably what I'm missing.

4 hours ago, longusername12345 said:

Thanks for the input! I will continue training. The person who trains me, spars with me, but I haven't been consistent enough to do much of that. 

Thank you for the input too! I really appreciate it. The guy that teaches me has done decades of research, self experimentation, and compiled a practical fighting system that works really well just takes a lot of work. I love your idea for meditation teachers. I will definitely implement that. A meditative mind is probably what I'm missing.

I say learn jiujitsu.... because it's by far the most safest way to really test your skills. There is no head injury in sparring with another person.  Muay thai and Boxing, you have to spar with people, and you will injure your head. And do you really want to injure your head? That's why I value jiujitsu because there is no such injury to the head. It's more about submitting the other person rather not casting any violence. If you see some videos of jiujitsu practitioners holding down a drunk asshole, or a retard, they don't hurt them but just submit them to stop casting violence to themselves and others, which is cool. Striking arts are just as important as grappling arts. IT's a lie to say grappling arts is a better sport. But you have to understand, the consequences of learning striking is to me far more dangerous than jiujitsu because there is the punching to the head. And that is the most important in striking arts

Edited by charlie cho

It's very beneficial for your survival, and your loved one's survival, just in case a situation is escalating to physical before you've had any chance to deescalate it, your body will act.

On 11/19/2020 at 11:30 AM, dflores321 said:

@longusername12345 I would say yes, its psychological. Imagine having a difficult conversation with someone, but knowing that if things got out of control you had the ability to stop it.

I like how this guy explains it. 

On 20/11/2020 at 2:41 AM, Opo said:

@longusername12345 Isn't Kung Fu more dancing than fighting? 

Depends. Lots of people view it as that. I'm not familiar with strict Kung Fu, I'm more familiar with a hollistic combination of the practical parts of different martial arts. Martial arts tend to get a bad rep cause they look all dancey and woo woo but they're pretty badass when you rlly look into them: (these are just movie scenes but this level of fighting does exist in real life)

On 20/11/2020 at 5:46 AM, dflores321 said:

@Opo kung fu is more like yoga , dancing is also more like yoga. 

In fact all movement arts are yoga pretty much ?. 

Its smarter to learn a grappling art first to secure yourself in the real life situations, then learn a striking art to secure yourself with multiple opponents ( avoid this though, you're not a power ranger!), then next I'd say weapons to master using extensions of your body. 

Good point??. Anything can be yoga. Anything can be a mindful meditative experience. 

Thanks for your advice, mastering weapons sounds super difficult but fun:)