Jackthelad

[book] The Road Less Traveled - Scott Peck (8/10)

7 posts in this topic

A book I read a few months ago that really opened my eyes was "The Road Less Traveled". 

In this book Scott Peck talks about the nature of relationships, how we bullshit ourselves regarding the 'in-love' experience of relationships, that real love only comes when you are not 'in love' but have developed your love and relationship past the infatuation stage, which most people think is real love. (This is the thing that hit home for me the most).

I read it a while back and can't remember all of the points, so I'll paste a couple of brief summaries of the book (this will be far more accurate than my memory) here: http://www.enotes.com/topics/road-less-traveled

and here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._Scott_Peck#The_Road_Less_Traveled

The reason I only give the book 4/5 is that the author's message is really fantastic, but in the real world he did not always live up to his own high standards. I don't expect people to be perfect but if you have a great message in life, and publish a renowned bestseller on it, it might then be an idea to live your life a bit cleaner. It's like he had the keys to the kingdom and forgot where he put them for a bit.

The end of the book I liked less, I adored the first 60% or so.

Just my own opinion, but the book is written excellently and it gives a fascinating perspective of love, dependency, and spirituality.

Anyone read this one? Any thoughts, or things I have missed?

I would rate it as 9/10, simply because it gives really powerfull insights but entirly lacks applications.

The end of the book is slightly more spiritual/ wohoehy hence it's less relatable but really deep nonetheless.

I mean I would need guidelines for how to cultivate the same feeling of love (aka falling in love) and melting of ego boundaries without a person, it would be a life changer. But he gives no practicals steps to achieve that.

Just now, Lynnel said:

I would rate it as 9/10, simply because it gives really powerfull insights but entirly lacks applications.

The end of the book is slightly more spiritual/ wohoehy hence it's less relatable but really deep nonetheless.

I mean I would need guidelines for how to cultivate the same feeling of love (aka falling in love) and melting of ego boundaries without a person, it would be a life changer. But he gives no practicals steps to achieve that.

I found it intellectually fantastic and really eye-opening; I must return to it again, maybe I'll get more out of it from a second read, perhaps I'll give the latter part of the book another go. 

The trouble is always applying things. And even I don't do so good when I get the step-by-step ways to implement. Something I must work on myself. 

On 2/9/2016 at 3:43 PM, Jackthelad said:

A book I read a few months ago that really opened my eyes was "The Road Less Traveled". 

In this book Scott Peck talks about the nature of relationships, how we bullshit ourselves regarding the 'in-love' experience of relationships, that real love only comes when you are not 'in love' but have developed your love and relationship past the infatuation stage, which most people think is real love. (This is the thing that hit home for me the most).

I read it a while back and can't remember all of the points, so I'll paste a couple of brief summaries of the book (this will be far more accurate than my memory) here: http://www.enotes.com/topics/road-less-traveled

and here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._Scott_Peck#The_Road_Less_Traveled

The reason I only give the book 4/5 is that the author's message is really fantastic, but in the real world he did not always live up to his own high standards. I don't expect people to be perfect but if you have a great message in life, and publish a renowned bestseller on it, it might then be an idea to live your life a bit cleaner. It's like he had the keys to the kingdom and forgot where he put them for a bit.

The end of the book I liked less, I adored the first 60% or so.

Just my own opinion, but the book is written excellently and it gives a fascinating perspective of love, dependency, and spirituality.

Anyone read this one? Any thoughts, or things I have missed?

I want to read this one

I read the book the road less traveled book by Scott Peck. It is should become a stable self-help book for spiritual and personal growth. Basically all of Actualized's content in one book (in broad lines). It puts everything together wonderfully.

In Tate we trust

Just logged back in to say I've recently reread this book, and it's actually much more profound that I gave it credit for, Jesus, four years ago. A big issue I had with it back then was his treatment of God, or whatever you want to call it, my instinct previously was to sort of disregard anything with God, but since then I've had a few experiences that have changed me from not-believing to not-not-believing, I don't even know what I beleive in, but I think I know what people are refering to now, and so after rereading the book the end of it is now much more brilliant and profound than I originally gave it credit for. 

Also my comments on him not living up to his own standards don't really make much sense to me anymore.

In short, this book is a masterpiece! Read it! 

first book i ever read pretty much, 10/10

Dont look at me! Look inside!