Espaim

Appetite

7 posts in this topic

So I've been struggling with this for a long time already

It's hard to eat anything. It's hard to eat junk food and healthy food.

I go on days without getting enough calories. I probably get under 1500. This is an estimative though. I don't have any self-image problems like anorexia. I just want to be able to eat. It's like I think of food and it's not appealing.

This causes problems for me like low energy and it's hard to exercise because it seems like my fuel reserves are low

I don't take any stimulants or even caffeine.

Any help?

Second question: if to go to a doctor, should I talk to a gp or dietitian?

Edited by Espaim

It helps to have a bit of consistency and planning. And maybe a bunch of new recipes to add some spark and new flavours. 

What you can try is to do a little bit of planning. For example, on Sunday you sit down and plan what you are going to eat from Monday - Friday. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Write down all the ingredients and then go shopping for the whole week. Having a cookbook will help you with this and it is a good way to introduce new flavours. 

Once you know what to cook, it takes away the burden of having to think about it every day and you just go in the kitchen and get to meal prepared. 

As you are preparing the meal, you start building up an appetite. This is called a cephalic phase of your digestion. Where the brain observes that something is happening and it already starts to send signal via the branch of the nervous system called Enteric nervous system to your digestion. Digestive juices slowly start to flow, hormones including ghrelin & serotonin are building up and appetite is formed. Make sure you become present & mindful to the process of cooking. Smell the ingredients, imagine how the food will taste, take a little bit in your mouth as you prepare but prevent eating during the cooking, just taste tiny bits. All of this helps the appetite to build up & digestive juices to get flowing. . By the time the meal is ready, your appetite is at its peak. 

The second advice is to make sure to exercise regularly. This not only creates hunger by manipulating your blood sugar levels by exercise is an endocrine modulator, it helps you feel more cheerful, more positive and improves your outlook of the world. Enjoying your life more also increases your desire for food and alters your appetite. 

Third advice is to be mindful of how stressed you are. If your stress is too high throughout the day, your hunger will be suppressed. Cortisol will do that to you as you'll be switching to emergency survival mode. 

And final advice is don't play around with ketosis,  intermittent fasting (for other than spiritual purposes) or any of that nonsense. Eat regularly and your body will naturally adjust. 

If there are any underlying health problems I'd speak to the doctor but dietitian may help you structure your meals better & your diet better. 

All the best !

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Espaim

I would first question the paradigm that food = calories = energy. In my experience with fasting, it is not that simple at all.

If you're feeling low energy, I would consider a couple things:

1) What is the quality of food you're eating? If the food you're eating is junk, you can forget about that giving you energy.

2) Do you practice breathing exercises?

3) Do you spend time in nature?

All energy is ultimately Source energy. So if you've got low energy, there's a blockage somewhere in your system. Yoga might help you a lot with this.

21 hours ago, aurum said:

What is the quality of food you're eating? If the food you're eating is junk, you can forget about that giving you energy.

It varies. On the weekdays I eat mostly clean. On the weekends I eat pretty shitty tbh. But I feel bad almost every day.

Do you practice breathing exercises?

No. What do you suggest?

Do you spend time in nature?

It's not allowed in my country atm but when I can I certainly make some heavy effort.

So I've done some research and I'm thinking that maybe I am Lactose Intolerant. Going to test this on Wednesday.

Edited by Espaim

You really don´t have appetite after an 1 hour of exercise really?