Kay100

So hard for old people to accept new knowledge on health

6 posts in this topic

I know that it's common for old people to find it difficult to change what they knew about cooking oils for so many years. My mom still believe that vegetable oil is good for her and coconut oil is controversial. She always say see I've been using vegetable oils all my life and I'm fine.

If you believed something for 70+ years I guess it is hard to change. But at the same time it worries me to see her using those oils when I know it's bad... I can't just accept that and let it be... It's so hard...

I keep telling her my intention for her to change is for her health. Do you think I'm trying to poison you by giving you coconut oil? Obviously she knows my intention is from care. But then she still refuse to change...

There are worse things people do to themselves than bunch of vegetable oils. Love your mom with all her faults & imperfections. That's the most you can do for her. You mean well but she may see it as an offence if she is locked in stage blue. Let go of needing to improve her diet. If she is ever interested she'll ask you. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

5 hours ago, Kay100 said:

my intention for her to change

^This is your problem right here.

YOU. CAN NOT. CHANGE. ANYONE. It is a full time job to change yourself.

3 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

^This is your problem right here.

YOU. CAN NOT. CHANGE. ANYONE. It is a full time job to change yourself.

This. 

accept and dont try to change her. But tell her how you think about it. 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

You're right that vegetable oils are horrible, but tbh most new "knowledge" about nutrition is a load of shit.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:20 PM, Kay100 said:

it's common for old people to find it difficult to change

/thread. It's not just about cooking, it's their knowledge on everything. Most have an unwillingness to change things they've believed or done a certain way for decades.

On 10/22/2020 at 2:20 PM, Kay100 said:

My mom still believe that vegetable oil is good for her and coconut oil is controversial

What kind of vegetable oil are we talking about? There is a big difference between canola oil, soybean oil, grapeseed oil, peanut oil, avocado oil, olive oil, etc etc. Some are okay to use uncooked on salads and stuff but become harmful when cooked. Others are fine both ways.

I've also heard conflicting info on coconut oil over the past few years. The low-quality coconut oil on the average grocery store shelf might not have the benefits you're hoping for: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/is-there-a-place-for-coconut-oil-in-a-healthy-diet-2019011415764

Take this as an opportunity to introspect as well. She's stuck in her ways about vegetable oil. But are you also stuck on trying to convince her about coconut oil in the same way? Have you done enough research to equivocally say which oils are harmful and which are okay, or are you willing to spend a couple hours looking into it for yourself? Are you willing to try to transition her to a different type of vegetable oil, instead of onto coconut oil, as a compromise? If it was me, there are things I would not want to compromise on with coconut oil that make it less practical, like how it can go solid at room temperature if it gets too cold. But I might switch to another oil of similar taste and price if it's healthier and can be used the same way.