CosmicTrekker

Oneness

10 posts in this topic

I'm a noob to the whole enlightenment phenomena, and though I have come across the concept previously, it wasn't something that I could get a handle on, until Leo started explaining this in his videos. 

Recently, I had a strange experience that seemed to have elements of enlightenment and I'd like to understand if this experience is related to enlightenment in anyway. 

It was the middle of the day whilst I was doing some DIY stuff at home. I turned my head to look at my pet lovebird sitting on it's perch on the other side of the room, and for a brief split second, I experienced, what I can only describe as a feeling of oneness with the lovebird - I was it and it was me. I could sense what it was experiencing, just as I experience myself day to day. There was no separation between 'me' and it. 

The experience was extremely brief and dissipated almost instantly, and I was left staring at the bird and the bird staring at me. 

I wasn't doing anything in particular that I can attribute this experience to. 

Has anyone had similar experience or know what it was and most importantly, is there anything that I could have done to sustain the experience for a longer period of time?

Thanks in advance. 

For me , I had a awakening of sorts when I finally admitted defeat to myself and threw in the towel. By throwing in the Towel I broke down and cried , asked a higher power for guidance and wept with desire for change.

Then it hit me , everything became clear I had awoken from my sleep and knew instantly what mattered and what I needed to do. What mattered was being in a loving state , Love mattered and change was mine for the taking. 

I was inspired by what may of been a breakdown , it may well of been my ego braking down , as I later studied and found my ego may well of caused all my previous pains in life.
Also
Take your time when studying and re read or re watch your material  to help you drive it home ,and hey , enjoy your journey ishaq !

Be honest with yourself  , as its the Key to self  improvement

19 hours ago, Capethaz said:

@ishaq Daily meditation.

Easier said than done. I'm struggling to develop a consistent meditation habit :)

22 hours ago, Beam said:

For me , I had a awakening of sorts when I finally admitted defeat to myself and threw in the towel. By throwing in the Towel I broke down and cried , asked a higher power for guidance and wept with desire for change.

That's interesting, I think Erkhart Tolle had a similar experience that led him to enlightenment. 

You pique my interest as I had not heard of Tolle until just now.
I watched some videos of his to hear his outlook / understanding.
 He is thoughtful and easy to follow / understand.

Maybe people become enlightened , I don't know , maybe people are waking up in stages , each one revealing more about life to us then the previous , a journey.

Personally , I think people are waking up from their delusions  , each stage brings one further and closer towards full awareness.

But... I am a lowly student who has no real inspiration of enlightenment. 
Instead , I want to become as well rounded of a individual as I 'm able too , a kinder wiser person who has good effect on myself & others , love of self and others , success in business and happiness.

Good enough for me !

Edited by Beam

On 24.8.2016 at 2:35 PM, ishaq said:

Has anyone had similar experience or know what it was and most importantly, is there anything that I could have done to sustain the experience for a longer period of time?

On my own journey I had these kind of "little mystical experiences" a lot in the beginning. When you start meditation and really push for it, sometimes it happens. Then you resolutely try to re-create it because it seemed so big and great. That's totally fine, investigate a little into it, you'll probably have a few more along the journey.

If you really wanna have cool mystical experiences and become enlightened, start daily meditation. This is not the answer to enlightenment, but if I compare the way I perceive the world right now in comparison to a little more then a year ago when I started meditating ... I couldn't even find common ground at all. So yeah, this definitely helps to get deeper realizations.

Also see that enlightenment is not an experience. Although you had some kind of non-dual little mystical experience (and that's totally cool to have) - you are enlightened right now. You just play a very nuanced game that you are not. The whole journey is to see that and then be like ... ahh fuck, totally missed that. :D

Anyway, keep it up! Sounds good.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

@ishaq I struggled for like a year. Now I'm meditating for a year without failing one day. How I did it? When you realize the importance of doing this practice it will be effortless. Many people here try to force things in their lifes, every time that you struggle it's is because you don't really want the thing. When you realize the value of whatever you want, you will chase it effortlessly.

Don't give up on trying. Its solid base to start the change in your life , it calms and prepares your mind for thoughtful use.

On 8/24/2016 at 6:57 PM, Beam said:

For me , I had an awakening of sorts when I finally admitted defeat to myself and threw in the towel.

By throwing in the towel I broke down and cried , asked a higher power for guidance and wept with desire for change.

Then it hit me , everything became clear I had awoken from my sleep and knew instantly what mattered and what I needed to do. What mattered was being in a loving state , Love mattered and change was mine for the taking. 

I can totally relate to this <3 :)

Surrender is the key to positive change!

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet

@ishaq Interesting, I can relate to your struggle, but I am coming full circle from the opposite side. I felt the oneness from an early age, but it was consciously, and subconsciously diminished by those around me. Here's an example from my early 20's when it seemed like others were trying to squash the last lingering remnants of this beauty: Before animation school, I studied Fine Arts in college. They gave us a project "Individual Identity" and asked us to use old photos of ourselves to form a piece that would show our uniqueness. My piece said "Individual Identity is Meaningless, We are ONE" and showed my old photos breaking apart into the vastness of the universe. I thought it was rad. The teachers and head of the department were furious, and demeaning. Despite my many eloquent attempts to explain that I had a valid perspective, they insisted that I had not done the work as requested and suggested they would fail me if I did not do the project their way....so, I left the school. That last lingering drop of oneness is still there, but I remember how it felt to feel it fully, and so I too am looking for a way to tap back in! Sending the best intentions to you on your journey!