Apparition of Jack

Twitter will suspend anyone wishing death on Trump

12 posts in this topic

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3zynw/twitter-says-you-cannot-tweet-that-you-hope-trump-dies-from-covid

I was going to post this in the Trump COVID thread but I felt it was important enough to highlight it in a new thread.

This is good news IMO. It shows that social media companies are waking up to the impact they have on people's behaviours and are taking that responsibility more seriously. I feel like we could finally be learning the lessons of toxic unrestricted internet sites that lead to people committing suicide, ending political careers, getting authoritarians put into power, etc. and are putting rules in place to make the internet more conscious, healthy and useful.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

Yea. 

Maybe Trump can take a page from that article. 

Because he uses social media precisely to bully anyone and everyone who goes against him. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

It is good news, but logically, the next step will be fact-checking and moderating some of Trump's hate speech on the platform.

Very good news, but also we need fact checkers. Fact checker should be a new job lol

On 10/3/2020 at 4:33 PM, Gidiot said:

Very good news, but also we need fact checkers. Fact checker should be a new job lol

A great idea in theory, but hard to do in the current climate.

The social media mindset is "Wicked tech companies are censoring the Truth about reptilian fairy dust in airliner exhausts because they are part of the Deep State".

Any fact-checker who questions the narratives of extremists will come under attack. It is close to impossible to change people's minds. People have now been subjected to many years of AI 'brain hacking'.

Interestingly, Sam Harris’s latest podcast episode attempts to label social media as a “cult factory” that is responsible for the polarization we see today.

On 10/3/2020 at 0:03 PM, Gidiot said:

Fact checker should be a new job lol

I'd love to do such a job! I can then spread whatever I want. I can start my own cult!

Everyone please come join my cult. Joining fees - not $20,000, not $10,000, only the affordable price of $2000!! I will then censor anyone who goes against me.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

15 minutes ago, Willie said:

Interestingly, Sam Harris’s latest podcast episode attempts to label social media as a “cult factory” that is responsible for the polarization we see today.

This is partly the social media company's themselves fault, since they designed their websites with the goal of rewarding the most clickbaity behaviour. It makes more money to constantly have two sides screaming at each other through endless tweets / youtube videos / etc. than it does to have a single group of people have a slow, calm discussion.

Although this doesn't absolve the users entirely though. More people should be responsible with social media.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

12 minutes ago, Apparition of Jack said:

It makes more money to constantly have two sides screaming at each other through endless tweets / youtube videos / etc. than it does to have a single group of people have a slow, calm discussion.

Yeah, that’s why forums such as this are less popular. People don’t get likes, upvotes, and retweets and it takes more effort to have an honest discussion. So,  forums are less profitable or not profitable at all, depending on how the website owner goes about it.

It’s an unfortunate reality.

Edited by Willie

@No Self the loudest voices are the ones you see or read, there is still a lot of level heading people among the cults, why do I care what someone devoid of reality cares about truth. It’s all subjective to some degree anyway but there’s never going to be a time in history where you can make an appearance to reason to these types of people you’re describing XD. Still think fact checking is important, it’s more significant when tweets can have sources or citations options or independently verified with standards like Wikipedia. Twitter gets a lot of shit of course and it’s not there yet but it could be, this is a great first step

I agree that fact-checking would be a good thing, even if it would not have any impact on the most radicalised individuals. It would at least help to steer people who are on the fence away from the darkest forces on the internet.