Javfly33

Can i build muscle eating healthy potato chips?

14 posts in this topic

Do this potato chips are really "healthy"?

I say they are healthy because they are fried in virgin olive oil.

I found a potato chips brand that only have this 3 ingredients:

1- Potatoes

2- Extra virgin olive oil (48%)

3- Salt.

So even though potatoes are not a very good carb, they are very easy for me to eat. I can eat a whole bag which is 150gr in a matter of minutes and it gives me 900calories.

Getting so easily such a amount of olive oil seems very promising but my only doubt is...how many times do they use that oil?

It wouldn´t be healthy if they use it a lot to save costs.

So any information about this type of "healthy" food would be appreciated.

Technically you can make gains in the gym even by eating only mars bars but I can't imagine what the long-term consequences of that would be. It is easy to see 900 kcal from potato chips equal to for example 900kcal from a plate containing beans, vegetables and fish or chicken. Calories are calories, yes but you also get a lot of other nutrients in the second dish where potato chips are literally only sugar, nothing else. Well that and a bit of fried olive oil. 

It is not always just about calories. You have to look at where are the calories packed and how are they distributed. 900kcal in 150kcal is extreme amount and it would take probably 2 jars of beans or 4 chicken steaks or 10 kilos of broccoli to get the same amount of calories. It is rare that so much calories would be packed in such a small package in nature. Not even honey. 

Also potato chips have no nutritional value besides bunch of super fast absorbing sugar so it is very similar if you ate 150g of white bread with olive oil. You will get extreme insulin spike and extreme sugar spike which will leave you with extreme hypoglycemia. 

Going a bit deeper, we know that potato chips are roasted on very high temperatures. When you heat simple carbs (like chips or potatoes) on very high temperatures or in oils you create something called acrylamides, known neurotoxins and suspected carcinogens. Acrylamides create a lot of mess in the blood, they bind to other molecules and form something we called AGEs, highly toxic particles especially for your vascular system. 

On the other hand olive oil has the a lot of antioxidants that will protect it fairly well from oxidised particles but I would say they use the same batch of oil to roast many batches of chips..do you know what I mean? Like using 100l of olive oil to produce 20 times more chips than is healthy. This saves costs and saves from the necessity to clean deep friers all the time. The first batch may be somewhat ok but the second , the third and the tenth may already contain a lot of bad stuff (free radicals and lipid peroxides that are toxic to your DNA) 

Also there is a lot of salt which doesn't help, chips are scratchy and can irritate stomach. They have very little fibre either. 

If you are looking to make muscle gains, look for foods that are also high in other nutrients and don't just focus on calories. Think about mixing up plates of vegetables, carbohydrates, fats and proteins. If you want more healthy calories add nuts, nutt butters, avocados, hummus and things like that. Animsl foods are also higher in calories if you eat those. 

Soz for long email but though it was helpful to explain why calories are not equal to calories in the bigger picture. 

Also I might be wrong and maybe they indeed change the oil a lot and avoid large temperatures which would be better but I'd still save these chips as a special treat and get 99% of your calories from better foods :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Michael569 Man, your post deserves a golden medal. Thanks a lot for all of that information and surely I know that. I won't be buying those chips again. Topic closed ?

Edited by Javfly33

2 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

I won't be buying those chips again.

nah man, treat yourself occasionally :D I did not mean to demonise them completely just save them for your Friday night movie or that Saturday Netflix marathon you know ;)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

4 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

nah man, treat yourself occasionally :D I did not mean to demonise them completely just save them for your Friday night movie or that Saturday Netflix marathon you know ;)

I know but I don't like them that much tbh. If I want to get a treat I'll get a snickers bars which I love ?.

Actually there's something about this chips (or in general about potato chips I guess) which makes me suspect and is that they are tremendously fiendish.

Like I start eating some and then "I have to" finish the damn bag. I used to think that feeling was because of addictives and chemicals in candy bars or processed foods. But this potato chips only have those 3 ingredients. So maybe either they processed method is sketchy or either potato chips has a weird thing that makes them very fiendish (maybe is the combination of carbs+fats+salt which makes it very palatable for the organism?)

Edited by Javfly33

7 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

Like I start eating some and then "I have to" finish the damn bag.

Carefully engineered to do that exactly

22 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

Do this potato chips are really "healthy"?

I say they are healthy because they are fried in virgin olive oil.

I found a potato chips brand that only have this 3 ingredients:

1- Potatoes

2- Extra virgin olive oil (48%)

3- Salt.

So even though potatoes are not a very good carb, they are very easy for me to eat. I can eat a whole bag which is 150gr in a matter of minutes and it gives me 900calories.

Getting so easily such a amount of olive oil seems very promising but my only doubt is...how many times do they use that oil?

It wouldn´t be healthy if they use it a lot to save costs.

So any information about this type of "healthy" food would be appreciated.

????????????????????????????????????????????????

Is this your resume for a salesman job?

this is fkn hilarious. xDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxD

Edited by electroBeam

On 27/9/2020 at 2:00 PM, Meta-Man said:

You can also try to substitute your snickers bar for medjool dates with walnuts. Just open it and exchange the seed for whatever raw nut you like.

Thanks for idea :) that seems a really interesting good combination

On 27/9/2020 at 2:17 PM, electroBeam said:

????????????????????????????????????????????????

Is this your resume for a salesman job?

this is fkn hilarious. xDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxDxD

LOL. Please explain i dont get it.

Is building muscle your only vision for your health? 

80/20 Rule: You can enjoy 20% of your calories from junk sources. But you lose a lot of the nutrition from regular potatoes and they're very starchy. Potato chips are the better option if they cooked with olive oil. For building muscles if you don’t feel like eating whole, natural food sources that tend to be high in volume.  You should consider taking amino acid which is a great supp. https://www.vitaminexpress.org/uk/amino-acids-supplements You can take it before the workout to give you a boost of energy(not like caffeine or another stim tho, its more like energy on a cellular level). 

I think you should completely eliminate chips from your diet if you want your muscles. Even if you do well in the gym, you will have muscles under the layer of fat that you ate thanks to the chips. In general, you can try building muscle with HGH. This can be done even while at home. If interested, you can read about it here.

Edited by mullerbar

Michael did it justice here.

Regarding the OLIVE OIL --> Its UNSATURATED AND HEATED, that means it goes rancid, and is oxidated --> causes cell, tissue and dna damage in your body.

Actually the most toxic part of any potatoe chip brand is the oxidized oil (most of the time they even use vegetable oils, which are even more heat sensitive).

You never want to heat olive oil (only very mildly if you must). Avoid vegetable oils all together. 

If you want to eat potato chips for some carbs, then go for coconut oil fried brands. 
Coconut oil is saturated fat, thus way more heat stable, so you dont get the rancicity and the oxidative damage!

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

On 26/09/2020 at 8:16 PM, Michael569 said:

If you want more healthy calories add nuts, nutt butters,

@Michael569 I disagree with this though. 

Nut Butters (e.g. Peanut Butter) is incredibly high in oxidized fats. Nut fat is poly unsaturated and now they are roasted and highly processed. 
What is left is very oxidized fat, phytic acid (plant poison against mammals eating their seeds). Dont get trapped by the labels promise of high protein. Its true, but I doubt it out-weights the downside

If you eat a lot of nut butter you should heavily supplement with Vitamin E to somehow counter the oxidative cell damage

Edited by UDT

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

@UDT Thanks a lot for that info! The type of info that saves lives! O.o:)