Did I Just Have An Enlightenment Experience?

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I just went to this group meditation class tonight and I feel absolutely amazing. I know there is different types of realization and stages of experiences that you can have during your enlightenment journey.  My mind feels like all my thoughts and emotions are completely shut off.  It's one thing to say that you can do that with the ego and to talk about it, but it's another to really experience it.  Like I have complete control.....like I just look at something and I'm like ummm...do I really want to put emotions into this?  Is it really worth it?  Like nothing is bothering me at all. I just casually observe what is going on and I can make decisions if I want to feel and experience emotions or thoughts to what I am seeing and experiencing. I've been like this for the past hour since the class ended. It feels really weird in a good way. I just let everything go and I have completely surrendered to what is, because all that matters and exists is right now.  My pinael gland, third eye feels very hyper active, like as if it is vibrating.  I just feel so calm and at ease, like there is no reason to worry about anything and anything we worry about is something we've created with our ego.  It is an illusion that we create.  And I just feel like life has no purpose or meaning, but I feel really good about it.  I just feel like I had this huge release. But yet I want to fulfill my life purpose because I've made that choice to experience it and to give back.    And yes my awareness knows that there is no I, and I am just consciousness, just experiencing what is.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I have the sneaky suspicion you encountered you true self without the "Mind" being in the way.  Essentially a state of "No thought."  Just awareness of all that is... illusion.

@Names are labels

You had an experience called manolaya, which is a temporary cessation of thought.  It's when the I thought stops seeking objects for a moment and rests in itself.

This is not enlightenment, because enlightenment is a permanent condition when the Self shakes off the conditioned hard wiring that kept it seeking for fulfilment outside itself.

Enlightenment only happens once if it ever happens at all.

You had a taster, but no amount of tasters will help you become enlightened unless you know, understand and absorb the correct teachings that will enable you to contemplate on your ignorance rather than keep extroverting and looking for answers, definitions, state experiences and the ultimate object "enlightenment".

The reason you may get divergent answers about this, is percisesly because of this lack of authentic teaching, and the seeker is left second guessing the path where they could have consulted a qualified tradition and teacher and just be now getting on with the inquiry.

3 hours ago, Names are labels said:

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers to you, that definitely was a kind of mystical, meditative experience, maybe even going into the direction of samadhi experiences. Use this to contrast you normal reality and find what is ever-present in both experiences. Because what you experienced here isn't enlightenment, it's part of it, as is your normal everyday experience. Enlightenment is not an experience.

But as I said cheers to you, mystical experiences are always great to have :P

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

@Wormon Blatburm @Azrael @Matthew Lamot @MarcusJ @30secs

Thank you so much everyone for your input!  It definitely lasted for about 3 hours and gave me a lasting impression that I will never forget.  I felt like I had so much power.  And now every time I think and have emotions I have more awareness of what is happening.  At one point during the meditation I did feel a little bit of an out of body experience.  And when I emerged I felt the people that I was sitting with that we were all one.  We were all consciousness.  So it felt great. 

I noticed it came about after meditating for about an hour.    I was originally doing meditations for shorter periods for relaxation but I can see the benefit for doing this for long periods of time. ...and yes time does not exist...lol    I noticed that if I had really good music in the background it brought me even deeper, and even more so because we were meditating outside!  Wow...just wow is all I can say.

Most excellent young apprentice.  You are taking your first steps into a larger world.

Semi quote, Sir Alec Guinness, "Star Wars." -  A true master.

@Names are labels Just be careful not to get seduced by the emotions & experiences. Expanded states of consciousness are temporary and are NOT enlightenment.

Go for the TRUTH: What are you minus ALL experiences?

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

15 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Names are labels Just be careful not to get seduced by the emotions & experiences. Expanded states of consciousness are temporary and are NOT enlightenment.

Go for the TRUTH: What are you minus ALL experiences?

@Leo Gura

I know that I am nothingness, just conciousness and everything around me is nothingness too. So therefore I am everything that I am experiencing in this present moment because the present moment is the only thing that exists, yet time does not exist but our egos have created it. I see the value of enlightenment and its benefits, the end of suffering...but I also know I can spend my whole life pursuing enlightenment and may never achieve it.   I've also been told by other people that enlightenment doesn't exist because if I am nothing so what is there to improve upon? What is there to change and make better? What is personal development?...if I am nothingness... 

I know these things intellectually...I just wish I could experience it on a spiritual level. 

I just wish I could feel this way all the time and just shut all feelings and emotions off. I know I give meaning to the things around me but life is so hard right now. It's so easy to get sucked into the negativity. This experience was the relief I needed. Earlier in the day before the meditation class my mom had a seizure and I found her laying on the couch unconscious with blood dripping from her mouth, and I had to call 911.  It was one of scariest moments I have ever experienced. My dad has stage 4 colon cancer and has been suffering for the last 3 years. I broke off a relationship with a guy this week that was everything I ever wanted in a relationship (including he wanted to seek enlightenment) yet he wanted to use me for sex, without the commitment. (I love myself too much to be treated this way). And I'm trying to start my own business in the holistic field and I'm barely scraping by. When I was shut off....it just felt so great...the freedom was there...and I was grateful for what I have.  Does enlightenment allow you to be in this state permanently? 

Despite the fact that everything in my life is the way that is ( and yes I know I perceive it that way, and I don't have to) there are benefits....I have like a huge amount of free time to meditate and seek enlightenment and my life purpose. I just want to be motivated. 

Edited by Names are labels
Grammar edit

3 hours ago, Names are labels said:

@Leo Gura

I know that I am nothingness, just conciousness and everything around me is nothingness too. So therefore I am everything that I am experiencing in this present moment because the present moment is the only thing that exists, yet time does not exist but our egos have created it. I see the value of enlightenment and its benefits, the end of suffering...but I also know I can spend my whole life pursuing enlightenment and may never achieve it.   I've also been told by other people that enlightenment doesn't exist because if I am nothing so what is there to improve upon? What is there to change and make better? What is personal development?...if I am nothingness... 

You are completely lost, perpetuating your ignorance by listening to the wrong teachings and making life harder for yourself.  What a mess.

3 hours ago, Piotr said:

In fact emotions can flow through the body without resistance.

No. You no longer mistake whatever happens in life for who you are. The identity construct that wants to be free from what is, is being seen through

Or, how about, you are the emotion, the thought, the sensation and there is no separation.  Plus, you ARE whatever happens, because reality is non dual and no dual means there is no separation between subject and object.  It is the same thing, just happening

Youre trying, bless. But you dont know.  And that is a problem when trying to tell people something.

I'm going to ask you a question.  It's the only question you need on this journey.  

It's so obvious and simple, that the ego makes it into something other than it can handle.

But I guarantee you, if you keep asking yourself this one question you will become free.

The question is this:

"Is there any happiness in chasing, or attending to objects?"

Objects are everything that is not you.  Anything you can perceive or conceive are objects.  What is left is you.

This is what these people cannot explain, because they do not know this teaching.

Is there any happiness in worldly objects? Is there any happiness in subtle objects like thought, feeling, and perception?

Ask yourself this during your day.  Do it until it becomes obvious.  Dont just say "no" there is no happiness in these things.  Because just saying no will keep you dreaming.  Inquire.  Come to the absolute realization by your own experience that there is no fucking happiness in this fucking world, and this includes your feelings, thoughts and perceptions.

That is all you need.

Forget about nothingness, consciousness and being all that.  As long as you can see you are not your thoughts, feelings, perceptions, experiences you will be able to see that there is a Self that is reaching out to those temporary things.  The Self is you, your whole, complete, non-dual nature that needs nothing.  When you seek, you suffer, when you understand that seeking causes suffering you will begin to just discard seeking objects.

Objects one the most subtle level are your thoughts, feelings, perceptions.  Letting go of all that is scary, but once you understand what enlightenment is, you will not want to go back to grabbing onto that shit anymore.  And that shit includes your precious enlightenment experiences.

Edited by Matthew Lamot

@Matthew Lamot

59 minutes ago, Matthew Lamot said:

I'm going to ask you a question.  It's the only question you need on this journey.  

It's so obvious and simple, that the ego makes it into something other than it can handle.

But I guarantee you, if you keep asking yourself this one question you will become free.

The question is this:

"Is there any happiness in chasing, or attending to objects?"

Objects are everything that is not you.  Anything you can perceive or conceive are objects.  What is left is you.

This is what these people cannot explain, because they do not know this teaching.

Is there any happiness in worldly objects? Is there any happiness in subtle objects like thought, feeling, and perception?

Ask yourself this during your day.  Do it until it becomes obvious.  Dont just say "no" there is no happiness in these things.  Because just saying no will keep you dreaming.  Inquire.  Come to the absolute realization by your own experience that there is no fucking happiness in this fucking world, and this includes your feelings, thoughts and perceptions.

That is all you need.

Forget about nothingness, consciousness and being all that.  As long as you can see you are not your thoughts, feelings, perceptions, experiences you will be able to see that there is a Self that is reaching out to those temporary things.  The Self is you, your whole, complete, non-dual nature that needs nothing.  When you seek, you suffer, when you understand that seeking causes suffering you will begin to just discard seeking objects.

Objects one the most subtle level are your thoughts, feelings, perceptions.  Letting go of all that is scary, but once you understand what enlightenment is, you will not want to go back to grabbing onto that shit anymore.  And that shit includes your precious enlightenment experiences.

1 hour ago, Matthew Lamot said:

You are completely lost, perpetuating your ignorance by listening to the wrong teachings and making life harder for yourself.  What a mess.

Wow...I really don't know what to say right now, other than the fact I thought this forum was used to help strengthen and support others on their journey to enlightenment....not to belittle those who that are not as far along as you and make them feel stupid. That message was really ment for Leo to read..not you. I appreciate the advice and the guidance but I'm actually really offended right now, and considering what I've been through this week, almost losing my mother, I think I've reached my limit. 

If you were looking to boost your ego, you did a great job, and making me feel like crap. Apparently this is not the first time you've been harsh with others, as I can see from your previous posts on your profile. 

I may not be anywhere close to enlightenment but I'm far enough along in my personal development journey to say that is best to avoid all negative people in my life. I love myself too much to put up with this. Even it means deleting my account. 

Have fun guys! 

@Names are labels

It's ok.  There is no happiness in these thoughts, feelings and perceptions.

I apologize if you have a heavy load of misery in your life.  Im sure if you come back to the post when youre feeling better it will seem different.

Swearing can either be a turn off or a turn on depending on whos reading.  But i will take your feedback and be more careful in future and not be a bad boy and swear 

And I apologize for butting in on your question to Leo.  It's just, Leo cannot help you, because he himself is not enlightened, therefore will not have a teaching for you.

*** Edit***

lol, and when I say ignorance, I don't mean in a nasty way, like you personally are ignorant, or like "you ingoramus!" lol.

I mean in a way that everyone is ignorant, because they dont already know they are non dual limitless awareness.  

That's what i meant lol

It will seem like you're being persecuted when you don't know that everything you are is the Self, it will always seem as if you and others are "wrong" and should be nicer.  

Anway, I hope you feel better soon : )

Matthew

Edited by Matthew Lamot

This is what I've been experiencing. I've been like this for 3 days now but I can switch on and off my emotions/ego needy perception whenever I want