Uncover

Better Sleep Quality?!

10 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! 

It all happened several weeks ago when I begun to notice that I have a poor sleep quality. Right before falling asleep I start thinking about all things that I've done during the day and I will do in the future. It seems like I'm writing an entire novel in my mind just before falling asleep. Because of this it's hard even to fall asleep sometimes. It's not only that which bothers me, but a major point is that I wake up in the middle of the night very often and doing so, I wake up in the morning with no energy for the rest of the day. So, my question comes to you... how can I sleep better during the night and wake up rested? 

Thank you!

Meditation would be the best recommendation, in it, you will learn to be aware of your thoughts and easily let them go, although meditation will be a long process, it will benefit you in so many other ways.

Try reading a book called The Sedona Method. Read more about it: https://www.actualized.org/blueprint/sedona-method

Of course, there are other ways, obvious ways to make you sleep better. Such as don't use electronics before bed, no coffee, make yourself tired a couple of hours before going to sleep, make sure the room is well-ventilated and so on..

One more quick tip: Don't force yourself to sleep if you can't, instead get out of the bad, stretch, go drink some water, walk a little, stare through a window, read a book and then go to sleep, a lot of people get anxious that they can't get to sleep, and it's not making anything better.

Try thinking of something relaxing, force yourself to think. Like swimming in the sea.

Edited by IndependantKouhai
Added more tips

@Uncover all this thinking can get you wrapped up in your life where you start feeling more attached and so more anxious or worrisome etc

maybe some kind of exercise would be helpful where you just bring yourself into the present, you might be too tired for meditation but you can just imagine being bigger than your life, whatever is happening, whatever thoughts you have about the day and the future, just notice that it's a drama you're identifying with but you can detach from it  

@IndependantKouhai You're right about it, I think that the main reason that I can't sleep is that I'm getting anxious that I can't get to sleep. You see, I tend to go to sleep late and I'm thinking that I won't rest well enough in these remaining hours before dawn. So, I don't :)  

Edited by Uncover

I typically don't have much trouble falling asleep, however, staying asleep once I wake up in the middle of the night can be another challenge.

Others have cited great suggestions already. Here's my evening routine.

- Go to bed by a set time usually by 9pm (habit, routine)
- Turn on Himalayan Salt lamp on nightstand (only lamp in my bedroom)
- Read a few pages of a physical book under the soft warm orange light of the Himalayan Salt lamp

The later usually helps me transition from being somewhat alert to a yawning stage. When I start yawning, it's an indication that my body is ready (at least that's been my own experience).

At that point, I turn off the lamp and tae the same position in my bed (again a habit). I usually have one hand on my stomach and the other along the side of my body - don't ask me why. I guess you could think of the routine some basketball players or tennis players go through.

I find that a cool room is also helpful.

In regards to going back to sleep after awakening, I found it much more challenging. It is easier if I think of sleep in a positive way. The quality and tone of my thoughts about sleep at that point are crucial. If I see sleep as something that deprives me from doing other things, or if I see it as "boring" than all its are off.

If I open to it and appreciate the positive health benefits and beauty of sleep, then I've found it easier to fall back asleep. Meditation has been helpful in changing my perception of sleep.

This is not a panacea, but hopefully you can extract something helpful and incorporate it into your own routine. :)

Be well! 

@Uncover I've also found that what I eat for diner has a tremendous impact on my sleep. Just try different ratios of protein-carbs-fat in your diner, as well as different types of food. That's a long term process but very useful, you'll learn to listen to your body's response to what you eat. Keeping a food log can be useful. Having one of those bracelets that track footsteps and sleep as well.

For example, I personally sleep much better if I have more animal proteins and fat (heavy meal), and low carbs (only veggieS) at night. It varies between people. Some people sleep better with a light meal, a salad or a soup, with almost no protein.

It is different to everybody, there are so many factors at play. Just find out what works for you. And keep in mind that it changes overtime as well depending on the season, your levels of physical activity, stress etc.

I was having sleep issues some months ago. I stopped all caffeine and my sleep has returned to normal. 

Meditation at bed time is also effective

@Uncover Have a notepad besides your bed. Before you go to sleep; Get your to-do-list out of your head and on paper. To avoid mulling over and over your to-do-list worrying you will forget something.

@Uncover I have started going to sleep to meditation music and I close my eyes and try and rid everything from my brain and just get lost into listening to the music. This usually helps me other wise I would usually stay awake reading (which usually makes me tired after a while) or fall asleep watching tv and writing things down before you go to to bed and practicing to switch off and unwind when the lights are out and the meditation music is on =)

When trying to be rid of a specific thought, the key is not to resist or engage in them. To resist would be like you pulling away from yourself, because that thing you disown is of you; you would be like a kingdom divided against itself. That would be like pulling your own arm off; your body would follow it unless you caused damage. Also, to engage in unwanted thoughts would only expand upon them. The answer is actually non-action and to step back to the point of observation (still not resisting or engaging in them) and watch it as it deludes if it does not leave immediately. By non-action, you induce a sort of indifference (which you should side with and become neither "against" or "for" the unwanted thought), and by indifference you direct your focus to bigger things. The real dangers are things external to your internal self. Do not treat the internal "you" as the enemy. YOu would then begin a struggle consisting of pointless suspicion and, once again, be a kingdom divided against itself (which will fall if you continue). 

Be neither for or against. Do not resist or engage. Be indifferent and of non-action.

i actually just posted this very information. Its very useful for redirecting focus, forgetting, and it even explains why music works. It is when non-action is resorted to that people soon become indifferent due to a new more interesting array of thoughts that they get their mind "off" of that which bothered them. Use it also when you are angry, sad, and remember to remain calm yet determined when you are happy so that you do not act rash.