Tim R

Are siddhis real?

47 posts in this topic

@Red-White-Light  I won't try any further to convince you otherwise. I made my point and if you don't want to recognize what I mean, Amen.

I was a firm believer in time, space, materialism, rationalism and all this other malarkey. Until I found out that it was malarkey.

I have to disagree... Yes, with Einstein!:o

Many people understand certain things extremely well, and yet they are just horrible at explaining.

@Red-White-Light If you don't understand something, at least don't blame it on others.

I’ve accidentally done them. I’m sure they can be controlled consciously. 

“Any kind of consciousness whatever, whether past, future, or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near — a disciple of mine sees all consciousness as it actually is with proper wisdom thus: ‘This is not mine, this I am not, this is not my self.’” - the Tathāgata

8 hours ago, BipolarGrowth said:

I’ve accidentally done them. I’m sure they can be controlled consciously. 

@BipolarGrowth Could you elaborate?

Having supernatural powers is one meaning attached to the word "Siddhis".

First of all it's a hindi word (Origin- Sanskrit) which is commonly used in yogic culture and traditions in India.

Secondly, before using a word to a certain degree we must know all possible connotations attached to it and then we must discuss any stuff related to it.

Now few possible meanings of the word Siddhi, Hindi- सिद्धि could be:

1. Success

2. Determination

3. Answer to a question

4. Complete purification

5. Supernatural powers

6. Efficiency, mastery

7. Full knowledge.

8. Goal checking

9. To be clear

Hope these various connotations will try to clear the meaning of Siddhi which is certainly used for a state of attainment of profound knowledge (or even enlightenment sometimes) in a particular domain of life which could be anything.

I feel many of the words that we take from ancient cultures and traditions are misunderstood and used incorrectly, just be a little vigilant and do your research first instead of parroting nonsense without knowing a particular word,theory etc.(strictly speaking)

And I also hope this will shed a lil light on the actual question "Are Siddhis real?" 

Of course :P

Regards

Edited by ajai