Mada_

C L E A N I N G

7 posts in this topic

I realized that cleaning is probably something I'm always going to have to do. I've philosophized about cleaning, and have considered the main motivation for cleaning is to keep me alive e.g. If I left all my food scraps on the bench forever, I would eventually be breathing in mold; a similar problem if I didn't vacuum. Also if I didn't tidy food rats could come and contaminate my food source with various diseases. Finally, it would also be difficult to find my stuff if I didn't organize it. 

I've been listening to cleaning podcasts whilst I clean to show me some different strategies on how to clean quickly and thoroughly.

But I feel like if I were to really apply myself to having my house ordered all the time, that I'd be spending full days on it. Especially because I live with my parents and I'm often tidying their thing aswell as mine... But maybe not; 

What is your experiences and strategies for cleaning? On topics like: 

- minimalism 

- waste free cleaning 

- studies you've read on exposure to bacteria 

- organization 

- scheduling around cleaning 

- taking time off from other practices to clean, how do you choose which practices? 

Edited by Mada_
Accidentally posted prematurely

I don't really clean anymore. I have routines.

Like I never go to sleep without cleaning the dishes

I sweep and mop the floor every evening etc

Minimalism is a big one. Less objects you have, less cleaning you have to do. I try to gift or donate objects I don't use anymore, especially objects that take a lot of space like big plushies and clothes. And I never really buy anything unless I am using it RIGHT NOW, like objects for current workings and usage, and I tend not to buy so many clothes anymore, but I have clothes put away for each season.

To be wastefree, when I buy cosmetics I apply only a little bit and it takes months until I use it up. And I only buy 1 cosmetic for each need (one cream, one foundation, 1 shampoo etc.)

But cleaning for me never takes more than 20 minutes. What I have a lot of are books which makes it a little bit tricky to organise... I put 1 type of book in one place, for example a bunch of novels, a bunch of dictionaries, a bunch of politics and history... That might take a little longer.

It's kind of funny to analyse something so mundane, but I like it.

For me there's two aspects to cleaning: decluttering and health. I'd say that most cleaning is visual. I had an ex who was highly visual and literally wanted her home to look like a show home. Once a week she (and I) would spend hours reversing the visual carnage of the week before. If you enjoy minimalism then decluttering should be a quick and painless process. The more stuff you have, the greater the likelihood of mess.

But you can't get away from water stains and dust. I think people have different tolerances for that and you can immediately tell upon entering someone's home where they lay on the scale. Stains and dust by themselves are not particularly bad for health unless you have allergies.

The health aspect is fairly obvious, especially around food. Food gets mouldy, and spores are generally bad for health over time. This is especially so for damp areas, so "cleaning" also involves aeration, dehumidifying and keeping surfaces free of mould. But the food problem is solved: get a dishwasher. The same applies to clothes, most people wouldn't dream of washing their clothes by hand - although I remember my mum doing exactly this in the seventies in Spain. 

Food also invites little critters such as mice or cockcroaches into the home, and they carry their own diseases and are generally unpleasant to interact with. Basically, avoid all those scenarios by washing used kitchenware daily or you're really asking for trouble - it's a fact of life.

Also you probably want to avoid bacterial buildup in the toilet (restroom/bathroom whatever your preference). 

The health aspect is interesting, as it's all in the head. You can't see viruses and bacteria. You body can also tolerate bacteria and viruses are lot better than you think. So it's possible to get carried away and be a bit OCD with cleaning - you should resist as much as possible. Life is too short to spend it cleaning. Saying that, life could be short if you don't clean at all.

Edited by LastThursday

All stories and explanations are false.

@LastThursday Fantastic reply. 

Aerating, dehumidifying are perhaps new considerations for me. 

Do you mean just keeping some windows open, or do you use a dehumidifier? 

It depends on the climate where you live and the type of property you're in.

Here in the UK winters are chilly (and other times of year), so having windows open is not always an option. There are also a huge number of old properties (Victorian or Edwardian) and those are more prone to rising damp. Obviously there are building solutions such a damp proof course, but that's mega expensive.  Otherwise having decent heating helps keep walls dry, but older properties are often high ceilinged and without central heating.

So options are limited and having a dehumidifier might be the only way. If you're in a modern home it shouldn't be a problem.

All stories and explanations are false.

I love cleaning so much that I use it as an award for myself in between other activities xD (but only when I am not forced to do it!). It helps me clear my mind. Like when I want to make a serious decision, I clean my room!

If u wanna enjoy it you need to make a game out of it. Like in between your activities 10 min is just for organizing drawers. The next 10 min maybe vacuum. Little by little everywhere becomes clean in a week.

I think if you do everything at once it really turn out as a duty and not enjoyable