Annoynymous

A critique of krystal and Saagar show and Secular Talk

7 posts in this topic

I almost view both of these shows regularly. I believe they both bring new and fresh perspectives on the table that we don't often see being discussed in the mainstream media. However, I think the both show comes with some pitfall.

Firstly, in the present situation, I think everyone in the left should rally behind biden-harris to defeat trump. That should be the number one agenda. But i am very disappointed to see krystal and kyle kulinski, both prominent progressives are mostly busy bashing biden everyday, which i think very naive thing to do given the situation right now america in. Yes, biden is a neoliberal and had done a lot of bad/evil things. But surely he will be a much more better president than trump. So instead of acknowledging that point, these shows are going against biden while doing a disservice  the cause of removing trump from office.

Secondly, i think these two shows also perpetuate victim mentality. They always like to talk about how the system is rigged against them, how they are pushed aside in the democratic party, how this and that was done wrong to them etc. Though there are some truth in it, i think this victim mentality will do no good to the progressives. I mean, come on dude, do you expect your opponent to give you red carpet welcome in the political arena? That is not gonna happen because politics is all about survival and its very tricky. No one is gonna hand over you anything. You have to earn it by yourself.

Lastly, Even if  bernie had won the nomination and went on to become president, it would have definitely become bloody. I bet bernie would have faced vehement opposition from congress,senate,supreme court and mainstream media. Most of his progressive policies wouldn't have passed anyway. To have progressive holding firm power, they have to win more seats in state elections, gubernatorial elections, congress and senate elections. Then  a progressive president would have the power to push forward his/her progressive agendas. so the approach should be to go for winning from bottom to top, not top to bottom.

I believe in the next 20-30 years, the progressive base will become more strong and eventually will be able to have a bigger share in power. But now, these progressive shows must show some maturity, abandon their victim mentality and start focusing on grassroot campaigning. 

In other word, instead of being myopic, the left must prepare themselves for a much longer political fight in the future.   

Edited by Annoynymous

@Annoynymous a lot of people feed of of that victim mentality shit. I wonder if their popularity would drop or increase if they stopped it.

He looked rly childish to me after Bernie dropped out but 4 years ago i was eating it up so who knows maybe he is a necessary stepping stone. 

Much easier to accept the world is constantly staked against you so you can just jerk off and get angry on twitter all day than to accept you are able to influence politics and make your policy positions a reality with hard work and compromise 

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

That's the general problem with progressives. They are so passionate and ideological about it that they cannot clearly see that most of the country is NOT with them!

If most of the country was progressive, Bernie would have easily beat Biden. Instead, Bernie lost, and he lost significantly, not just by a little bit.

Progressives are 30 years ahead of the curve. Which tends to make them impractical.

Most of the country does not want to see their culture change. Even if it hurts them economically. They cannot see the connection between changing the culture and systemic economic changes. 95% of voters do not think systemically. But people like Kyle and Krystal don't understand that. They overestimate the intelligence of the public.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura i think progressives can take small steps at a time. For example, in 10 years, eyeing for electing 50 progressive us house of representatives, 5-10 progressive senators, 5 progressive governor would be a good progress.   

Edited by Annoynymous

@Annoynymous Yeah, those are good goals. Progressives have to learn to settle for incremental progress, not huge revolutions.

In a sense, winning the small battles is more important than winning the big ones.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura I believe there is a silent revolution, and mostly I believe that consciousness is evolving, sure America could fuck up and progressives could lose, but it seems like they have more power and more of a voice these days. Although I’m only 25, I think the green mentality of victim hood is much greater than the red blue orange mentality of oppression and ego power dynamics but it certainly doesn’t help. He need more voices like beau if the fifth column and less like krystal and Kyle, not to say they aren’t politically savvy, they are, but progressives just simply aren’t big enough of a population yet. We just need to win more and certainly down ballot they are doing much better, I think people like AOC types and I think she is really well regarded, that’s kind of what I see as a healthy green politician, 

people like Vaush, myself, Kyle and krystal are quite young too so maybe it’s the lack of experience we have. We aren’t too cynical. 

that’s probably the best part of green politically, they can be motivated by fear but usually they are proactively motivated by a improving things rather than destroying or keeping power. 

politics has been crazy the past four years and really hope after trump is gone that the Overton window is taken to a more compassionate conversation.