kireet

how do i study enlightenment theory ?

13 posts in this topic

How do i study enlightenment theory without adopting an ideology? i have a habit of studying from various different resources , but i get lazy to do the practices , but i just push through it , but the thing is meditation is not giving enough of direct experience . due to lack of direct experience , i think i end up making up my own ideologies at the end and consider them as the truth , whereas in reality i have nothing to show for it . so is there  a way or method to study theory without adopting various beliefs and ideologies about how enlightenment is etc.. 

PS: - i have seen various people with siddhis in my life , when  i used to live in india there were people who could perform various kind of siddhis , can seeing such stuff considered as direct experience , because sometimes i find i become ignorant and put them on a higher pedestal . 

"All troubles come to an end when the ego dies"

"God has become man; man will become God again"

How open are you to try psychedelics? :)

Everything IS LOVE, everything is music... :x

Either try and experiment with psychedelics or forget the theory consuming habit (if you have a solid understanding of what enlightenment is) and go for the direct experience. Rigorous meditation, self-inquiry, contemplation.

An ideal solution would be both, of course.

@Marten  @nistake i am very open to psychedelics or anything that promises getting nearer to the truth , but the thing is i am 17 ... 

@kireet Hate to break it to ya, but there's no quick fix for enlightenment. You're still very young, so if I were you, I'd stick to the sober practises to build a proper foundation and psychedelics when the time comes.

Don't underestimate the sober practises, the Truth is not elsewhere, not in the future and not a mystical experience.

@nistake i am not talking about a quick fix ,  i am just asking i there a way to organise all the theory about enlightenment so that it does not turn  into a ideology . of course , i am not underestimating sober practices , i have a regular meditation habit

@kireet I see. Well, in my opinion, the best strategy is not beliving anything until you experience it when it comes to enlightenment. Sure, read the books, listen to the teachers, accept the teachings if they resonate with you, but constantly ask yourself: "Is this true? Can it be true? Can I trust this person/book/teacher? How could I implement this in my life?" etc.

One way I've learnt to deal with this is to be obnoxiously rational. Basically, the rational, argumentative and extremely skeptical aspects of myself will never allow me to believe in this awakening crap. To me, it's still all bullshit. Not until have I experienced it will I 'believe' in it (it wont really be a belief though at that point, of course).

23 hours ago, kireet said:

@Marten  @nistake i am very open to psychedelics or anything that promises getting nearer to the truth , but the thing is i am 17 ... 

I don't know if this resonates, but perhaps it's a good idea to focus on other things for now, like relationships, life purpose, mastery, travel etc? Get some life experience, lay a foundation. Theory and practice ought to go together hand in hand. If you don't feel like doing meditation then probably better to wait until you're ready for it or psychedelics. No use frustrating onself with mental concepts of Love and Truth because of lack of practice.

Edited by Marten

On 8/10/2020 at 2:19 AM, kireet said:

How do i study enlightenment theory without adopting an ideology? i have a habit of studying from various different resources , but i get lazy to do the practices , but i just push through it , but the thing is meditation is not giving enough of direct experience . due to lack of direct experience , i think i end up making up my own ideologies at the end and consider them as the truth , whereas in reality i have nothing to show for it . so is there  a way or method to study theory without adopting various beliefs and ideologies about how enlightenment is etc.. 

PS: - i have seen various people with siddhis in my life , when  i used to live in india there were people who could perform various kind of siddhis , can seeing such stuff considered as direct experience , because sometimes i find i become ignorant and put them on a higher pedestal . 

Stop believing the thoughts about you, such as that you have ideologies, habits, laziness, are doing practices, pushing through, that you have a lack of experience, that you are making up ideologies, that you’re considering them as truth, that you have nothing to show for it, etc, etc. Just sit and notice this is all a story playing out in your thoughts, mind. Try actually pointing to it, ‘in the room’ so to speak. It’s just a story. Meditation. Awareness of thoughts, rather than believing the narrative. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Nahm  @Marten  BOTH of you Thanks for replies

@kireet You are so fortunate to be this aware early in life. I started doing 10 day meditation retreats at 19 years old and practiced it hardcore for 8 years, to hell with materialist pursuits and basic needs. Buddha was my role model and being a monk my ideal. I didn't lay a foundation for survival and thus thriving, and have been struggling psychologically and financially until recently. I'm in my early 30s and am just starting to get a better balance between spirituality and surviving. Life is becoming muuuuuch more effortless. Much more aligned with my heart, more joyous and creative. I think Leo is right about how precious our 20s are to lay a foundation, to fulfill the basic needs in Maslow's hirarchy. Great time to make a lot of focused effort into developing oneself holistically. Enjoy! :D

Edited by Marten