beastcookie

Advice in helping a friend past the ego-death phase

7 posts in this topic

Hello wise friends, 

Have a new question here, a question I am very hesistant to ask because I absolutely HATE when people ask questions for someone else. I typically don't go into other people's businesses but... this is the situation: 

My friend is completely stuck in the  "I need my small ego-I to die"-phase and it's annoying as fuck. He's seen his higher self and been there through various drugs (DMT, LSD, 5-Meo etc) and even regular medication (SDRI) can work periodically. This has led to the typical "I can not live with myself any longer"-dilemma where people typically break through (like Eckhart Tolle, Katie Byron, Russel Brand etc) but no break through occurs. I was there myself 9 years ago and broke through quite fast w/o drugs, just agonizing emotional pain lol. 

This dude can take so much pain, too much. He desperately wants to understand non-doership but he just don't get it when I try to explain it. I don't think his brain is ready for it, or I dunno...  are there any alternative routes to jump into non-doership from the point he's at? 

It's been 2 years of this bs where I try to guide him but fail. I think this is not my business, but he keeps begging me for help to transcend. 

Any advice? 

@beastcookie  the issue is the illusory experiencer is trying to rid itself of its illusory experience of separation and incompleteness.

But see the belief that there is a separate experiencer that could do such a thing only perpetuates or keeps alive the illusory experiencer's experience of separation.

This is why Ramana Maharshi was big on self-inquiry.

It needs to be seen clearly that the separate sense the Self/Ego(seeker) is an illusion and there is nothing that needs to be found because everything is already whole and complete (nothing was missing in the first place)

I’d like you to ask him to explore this SENSE of self very-very thoroughly. Not by thinking about it, but by FEELING it.
Keep the focus of attention on the sense of self and inquire:

Does the sense of self have a location?

Does the sense of self have a shape or a size?

Does the sense of self say or communicate anything?

If the answer is yes, how does the sense do this exactly?

Does the sense of self have any characteristics or attributes?

What is the sense of self ‘made of’? An image? Sound? Taste? Smell? Sensation? Thought Arising? If not, where is any Direct or Actual Experience of some sense of self?

Edited by VeganAwake

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@allislove ❤ ❤ 

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

1 hour ago, VeganAwake said:

@beastcookie  the issue is the illusory experiencer is trying to rid itself of its illusory experience of separation and incompleteness.

But see the belief that there is a separate experiencer that could do such a thing only perpetuates or keeps alive the illusory experiencer's experience of separation.

This is why Ramana Maharshi was big on self-inquiry.

It needs to be seen clearly that the separate sense the Self/Ego(seeker) is an illusion and there is nothing that needs to be found because everything is already whole and complete (nothing was missing in the first place)

I’d like you to ask him to explore this SENSE of self very-very thoroughly. Not by thinking about it, but by FEELING it.
Keep the focus of attention on the sense of self and inquire:

Does the sense of self have a location?

Does the sense of self have a shape or a size?

Does the sense of self say or communicate anything?

If the answer is yes, how does the sense do this exactly?

Does the sense of self have any characteristics or attributes?

What is the sense of self ‘made of’? An image? Sound? Taste? Smell? Sensation? Thought Arising? If not, where is any Direct or Actual Experience of some sense of self?

Thank you, this is great. I'll let you know how this goes! 

1 hour ago, beastcookie said:

Thank you, this is great. I'll let you know how this goes! 

❤ ?

It's kind of like eating a mango...

You can be told all day long what the experience of eating a mango is like, but until you actually eat one, it's all just imagination. ?

You can't help him. Stop trying to help him in his pursuits of killing a self that doesn't exist. The more you help him trying to kill it, the more you reaffirm his ego that it is real 

Let him be, in his spiritual pursuits. Spirituality is an inner game.

It'll take its time.

The longer it takes, the more wise he will come out.

See his pain as a necessity for Good rather than something bad.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.