Umar

How To Learn And Study Effectively?

22 posts in this topic

Hello People :)

I have seen Leo's video on how to study but i need miltiple prospectives on this topic. 

Feel free to give your ideas on learning. Everything from mindsets to study procedures is welcome :)

I would suggest first to discover what kind of learner are you. Are you an auditory, tactile, or visionary learner? Look it up, there's a self test to discover the best way you learn. We all learn differently. 

Edited by Argue

My biggest issues with studying was fixed when I started eliminating distractions

Here are a couple small things that have helped me:

- Take good notes. I prefer to handwrite and color-coordinate my notes because it helps me retain the info better. Also re-read them later. 

- If you're working for a long time, take a 5 minute break for every 30 minutes of work. Also have a snack and water handy. 

- Get out of your normal surroundings. Maybe go outside, to the library, or to a coffee shop. 

- Type "focus binaural beats" into Youtube. You'll get a ton of videos. Just listen to one of those with headphones on in the background while you study and your focus will improve. 

The biggest issue I have with studying is relating to the material.

I mean, yes, if you get rid of distractions and make good quality notes, your studying will definitely improve.
But sometimes, you need a little bit more.
I find this to be the case when I'm studying "impossible" subjects like chemistry and physics. It is mostly abstract work (with formulas and derivations), but there are of course experiments, which are very real, and that brings the whole subject back into practical realm. Often, I fail to connect the two, and hence I miss some of the deep understanding I could've gained. 

I feel like it goes for all sutudying material. It's more than just memorizing a bunch of facts and you are set to go. Your teachers might be pleased, but you will have learned nothing.

I suggest finding a way to bring the material into the real world, as much as it would allow it, and getting to know it so well that you can almost see the scenerios unfold and the circumstances thereof in your head, as if you were remembering your favourite book. 

That is, however, hard work that takes practice and perseverance, but it pays off so ridiculously much. Not only will you now know the material better, more importantly, you will know what you don't know, and the questions you pose will lead you to even greater understanding. 

It's beautiful, really.       

I hope this helps. Take care :)    

@Draconis Chaser i know what you are talking about Draconis Chaser. Personally for me, i study something so that in hopes it can come in handy in the future in some endeavour. This mindset is important if you are not in love with the subject you are studying :)

Personally when I start to do some exercises for example, like 5 or 6 I start to keep my mind clear and starts to be interesting, you only need to concentrate at what you need to do and keep your mind clear.

In my opinion it really depends on the subject matter. Lots of times the methodology seems more important the the actual effort. I think that waking up early and using that morning motivation can get you a long way into the day, especially if by 11.00 AM you already did more than others do the whole day. Later on your motivation level will go down and then you should: a) find some time for some physical activity so you can refresh; b) take a  break and then approach the subject matter from a different perspective - i.e. find some books with practical examples or exercises, test to see if what you read earlier on was well understood, etc. As the day goes by you could make your learning process more dynamic to avoid boredom. 

like I said, depends on what you are studying, but there are some general tricks for the brain to make it more resistant throughout the day; at least this is how I used to do it :D really curios about what you guys think,

cheers!

@Umar  Absolutely! It is miles better then dreading studying!

Still, If you try hard enough, I'm pretty sure you can find bits and peaces in even the most boring subject that are kinda your thing, or you are particularly good at them. Makes it a little bit easier to drill through the book (I think)...  

Again, I speak from experience, as I never really understood math and physics. I knew how to solve problems and derive stuff and explain stuff, but never did I internalize it. Like I do with biology, for example. It just clicks into place and boom- the piano of understanding lands on your head. :D 

Well I would suggest reading about people and their fascination with the subject, when you are able to see their love and curiosity to know and master their fields, gradually the fascination will get induced into you and you yourself will desire to think and ponder and study the subject in detail.

If you're really serious about becoming an efficient learner I would recommend you start here:

https://www.coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn

This will teach you how to learn more effectively.

Plus, keep in mind that mere reviewing, reading, highlighting does nothing for you.

Therefore,

• plan your studying in advance. Decide when, where, and how long your are going to do it.
  • learn the subject by pretending that you're a professor who is giving his students a lecture. Talk out loud.
  • Use flashcards. There are digital versions as well (http://ankisrs.net/). 
  • focus on what you can't rather than what you can.
  • learn before bed. (Your mind will work on it when sleeping.)
  • use your own words and try to come up with metaphors that work.

There's of course much more. I leave you with some of the resources that I found helpful.

http://calnewport.com/blog

http://hilt.harvard.edu/blog/note-taking-tools-and-tips

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robyn-scott/the-30-second-habit-that-_b_4808632.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/21/science/21memory.html

There has been a new study that shows that long aerobic training (like walking, running, cycling) increases the amount of nerves in brain. It helps in learning as well as keeps you in shape :) I know this isn't studying tip, but it's something you might like to do on regular basis to improve your overall learning and understanding. Also I have noticed that it's very good way to lift your spirit and get you motivated.

@Aleksi I would just add that while aerobic exercise does increase neurogenesis, those new neurones have to be put to use right away. Otherwise, they will quickly perish. 

So, hit the gym, and then hit the books. :)

My 2 cents:

* try to tell someone (even your dog) what you learned and explain it to the detail

* test yourself all the time, cause when you 'understand' it's not enough.For example, when I am learning new programming language, I understand everything, but when I try to write some lines of code, I cannot remember exact syntax.

I'm pretty sure you just stab a big metal spike in the back of your head, you start off by learning Kung-fu, then how to fly helicopters, basically it's a piece of cake, don't know what all the fuss is about.As you can probably tell I have already tried stabbing that spike into my head. It did not work out well.

I do like all of Julian's advice though. I have just finished that learning how to learn. Very insightful. Flash cards. Testing yourself constantly, its not enough to just read and think you know the material, ask yourself some hard questions on the subject matter, set a pomodoro timer for 25 minutes and dig deep into your mind and thought process with no distractions for this s duration. Then wash rinse repeat, eat healthy, drink lots of water, daily runs to help create new neurons and keep them running to full capacity. And be nice to people. ?

Try to focus on your favourite areas, this way the learning process becomes more natural and aligned with the skills you'll really need for the future.

We have to think that is impossible to master everything.

Is very good to keep a learning journal.

On 2/10/2016 at 1:58 PM, Julian said:

Thanks, Julian, Anki is pure gold. I almost learned Spanish in few days, just for fun. I can physically feel how my brain grows when I try to recall Spanish phrases for 100th time :)

Try to study together with other people. That was the only way for me to have fun while studying ;-)