Knowledge

Letting go

5 posts in this topic

How to let go of attachments?

I love my fancy watch, i like my expensive clothes, i enjoy my nice girlfriend, i enjoy looking at my bank account balance and i adore my reflection.

I'm very attached to my life, to my identity , to my family, to physical objects, to my body and to money.

How do i go about completely surrendering  all of that willingly?

How do i accept death and happily surrender myself to it?

1) I'd intellectually realize that all of those things are impermanent. Life will take them away from you sooner or later, well before you die. 

2) Start getting comfortable with just being. Start practicing some sort of do nothing practice where you are just silently being. The more at peace you can be with being alone, the easier detachment will become. Find the happiness, joy, beauty, and fulfillment with doing nothing at all, and you've hacked life. 

3) Just be patient. I've had days where I feel totally in bliss and completely willing to accept anything life has to give, and then I've had days where I'm totally caught in my ego stories, craving and desiring things that are completely out of my control. Attachment takes time to let go of, this is because of the self survival mechanism that keeps you alive. Don't underestimate its power.

I'm sure other people on this forum can give helpful advice. This was just sort of off the top of my head, I hope it helps :)

You can enjoy all those things/life without being attached to it, hehe.

Psychedelics help.

You can only accept death by becoming conscious of the fact that you don't exist as an individual (delusion) and that death isn't what society portrays it to be ("bad" in short, delusion) but a blessing (the death of that which isn't real: you as a person/human body/separate mind).

Then, when you have realized no-self/nothingness, the next question for you becomes: what is then real? If anything?

One thing at a time????❤️?

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

I love my fancy watch, i like my expensive clothes, i enjoy my nice girlfriend, i enjoy looking at my bank account balance and i adore my reflection.

I am attached to them, but the I who is attached is just like them - a creation in the mind of God. Realise this and you don't need to let go.

Divest from the conceptual. Experience the actual.

Sit in meditation, quieten your mind, and focus on the thing you want to let go of and imagine what it would be like to live without it, and try to accept that. See if you notice any emotions that arise as a response and let them come up. Really feel those emotions and accept them. A key sign of having an attachment is that you're having unsolicited thoughts about it, and these thoughts are often fear-based. See if this practice makes a difference in the amount of thoughts. If you notice the same thoughts arising in your daily life, you can easily let go of them again once you've done it once already.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.