FlowerNote

Honest question to Leo

10 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura

How do you maintain your passion for worldy matters when you claim everything is imaginary?

Im asking because I used to be very passionate about worldly matters, and being in the world, because it was all real to me. But after hearing about Buddhism and your work, saying everything is imaginary etc. it has made me way more nihilistic and unsure about my worldview in a nihlistic way. Do you have some advice for this?

Edited by FlowerNote

11 minutes ago, FlowerNote said:

But after hearing about Buddhism and your work

That is the problem. You're taking this stuff on as belief, which is actually harmful.

There is a huge difference between believing in Buddhism vs actually becoming conscious that you are God/Love.

Nihilism is belief and ego based.

God is Love and passion.

Realizing that everything is imaginary should heighten your passion, not lessen it. It's awesome to know that reality is a dream. This is the best possible news! You should want reality to be mystical rather than material. Materialism is boring and bleak. Mysticism is awesome and magical.

What better news could you receive than that EVERYTHING is imaginary!

Think about it.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

Thanks for your answer bro. I kinda realize this but its very hard for my mind to not ruminate about these questions. I noticed that the idea of a dream feels claustrophobic to me, like the world is super small. I realize it doesn’t have to be this way but its hard. I guess I have to put the theory away for a while and focus on meditating and exploring different perspectives.

One more question, how can there be correct history and incorrect history if all history is as imaginary as a fairytale? There must be some truth to what we have conceived of as time. You might say there is only now but saying i was born 20 years ago is more true than saying i was born 10 years ago.

@FlowerNote If you are writing a novel, the novel will contain relative truths. Whatever you write at the beginning has to match up with whatever you write at the end. So if you say in the beginning of the novel that a character was born 20 years ago, that's what is true relative to your imagination of it. If later you change it to 10 years, that contradicts your own imaginary narrative.

So the key to maintaining a "reality" is to imagine it consistently and stick to your story as if it was real.

So with proper science, for example archeology, we are discovering the truths of our own imagination? Thats actually quite inspiring.

@FlowerNote You are inventing reality as you look at it.

Big if true. But if time is imaginary anyway, you can also say that it already was imagined to begin with before you looked at it with the same effort.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

There is a huge difference between believing in Buddhism vs actually becoming conscious that you are God/Love.

God is Love and passion.

1 hour ago, FlowerNote said:

@Leo Gura

after hearing about Buddhism and your work, saying everything is imaginary etc. it has made me way more nihilistic and unsure about my worldview in a nihlistic way. Do you have some advice for this?

Buddhism doesn't talk about God, love and passion 

I'm not saying they are right or wrong but Leo is not that fond of Buddhism
(although it seems, agrees with some aspects of it).

What Leo teaches is closer to Kriya Yoga,  Paramahansa Yogananda and Advaita Vedanta
although he might call these influences. He has a mega thread on Kriya Yoga for instance, what Yogananda taught 
Yogananda spoke of God and love a lot .   Now he is more into is own ideas rather than saying his ideas are coming out of these traditions.  Rupert Spira is also influenced by these
but Ralston is more influenced by Buddhism 

Buddhists sometimes peak of everything being an illusion but more frequently they talk about impermanence.
Leo talks rarely about impermanence . He focuses more on the infinite and this is more similar to things in Hindu philosophy 

However spirituality practitioners such as  Buddhists and these forms of Yoga  generally (not in every case) withdraw themselves from worldly affairs. they generally do their mediation , routines and rituals and don't involve themselves much with the latest news and current events. 

But lately Leos is not saying "infinite love" quite as much and he has said before and n the "Why is there Something video" he said  that "Everything is Nothing" .
That has more of connotation or existentialism or nihilism and some think Buddhism has a nihilistic aspect
but Leo does not endorse those philosophies directly, he  is clarifying  what he meant by that. 
I'm just mentioned this because he mentioned Buddhism and I don't think that is what Leo would say is one of his primary influences but he can correct me if I am wrong 

Edited by Nak Khid

@FlowerNote Awakening merely means revealing your true identity whether it's passionate or nihilistic. It doesn't necessarily affect your attitude towards life. If your attitude changes, then the former one wasn't true and authentic to you.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

@FlowerNote buddhism does not focus so much on imagination - buddhism focuses a lot on elimination and recreation of suffering. 

if the world as such becomes an illusion it’s not about buddhism it’s about your own suffering.

buddhism transcends it all - that’s why it’s the missing link. 

don‘t confuse nihilistic philosophy with buddhism, its probably christianity and western culture within you which keeps you from really closing the circle. buddhism is the gatekeeper and the missing link.