Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Don Wei

Hair thinner on top... HELP !

11 posts in this topic

I was always wondering whether my hair was a little thinner on top. I've heard people say it before but I did not pay that much attention. I was meditating today and I don't know what triggered the thought, but I suddenly got the idea to film the top of my head to see if my hair is actually thinner or if its just an optical illusion. Then when I watched the video I discovered my hair actually is thinner on top and then I suddenly panicked. I remembered that stress causes hair loss so I calmed myself down and tried to think if its possible that my hair has always been a little thinner on top. Nobody in my entire family is bald, so if if its true that i'm really balding its not genetics. How can I prevent balding ? I'm only 18 years old, i'm way too young for this. If I was an old man or if I was at least able to grow a beard I wouldn't mind it that much but i'm not ignoring this. I want to solve any health problem as early as possible that's why I want to know what to do to prevent this.

@Keyhole thanks I will definitely do that, I need to solve this early and quick.

Ok here is the trick, buy a hair brush. You can notice some very small spheres on the top of each pin that the hair brush has. Remove these spheres (might be doable by hand otherwise you probably need an eyebrow removal tool to pull them out). You should be left with a hair brush full of naked pins. Brush your hair daily with this by applying an adequate amount of force. This should hurt a little at least in the beginning but you will notice substantial difference in hair growth. What this does is by slightly scratching the skin of your scalp you get a large amount of blood to gather on the area. The blood very quickly starts repairing any damage that you might be having due to which you experience hair loss. 

Other than that make sure that your diet contains a lot of Vitamin A and Vitamin E foods. These are very important for hair and skin health and hair loss is one of the first symptoms of their deficiency.

It may be hereditary which means there is nothing you can do about it. Might be worth looking at hair of your dad and your grandfathers. I started balding when I was 15 and now at 30 it kinda stopped but left me with a bit of horseshoe pattern. My dad lost his hair by the age of 35 and so did his dad. My diet was also very bad as a kid extremely high in low GI carbohydrates so that definitely contribute to it. 

Excess DHT was already mentioned above. Note that DHT is NOT bad. It is the most potent testosterone that helps your tissues growth, helps your reproductive system mature, your bones to strengthen and helps you to grow taller.  As a growing male I wouldn't recommend you take supplements to stop DHT (like saw palmetto) because this is your primary growth hormone till the age of 21-24 and I wouldn't mess up with it too much. DHT can be problematic in older men when it can accelerate prostate growth but for a young teenager, I'd rely more on balancing it through diet rather than taking 5-alpha reductase inhibitors (stops DHT from being produced).

So instead of supplements, try these: 

Make sure your diet is not filled with barbecued meats, lots of dairy, fried foods, pizzas, croissants, sweet coffees, donuts etc. 

Eat wholegrain and low GI sources of carbohydrates. Avoid products from white flour that contain a lot of sugars. This also includes white potatoes and white pasta. Wholegrains are your new friend. Also sugars, sweets, candies will drive that as well. Get a good amount of your protein from plant sources. 

Make sure your diet is very rich in legumes, vegetables and fruits. The fibre will help you detoxify and eliminate used DHT rather than recycling it. Aim to have 3 bowel movements per day to prevent hormonal recycling. 

And finally cut alcohol to an absolute minimum, don't smoke and don't use marihuana. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

18 hours ago, Don Wei said:

Nobody in my entire family is bald, so if if its true that i'm really balding its not genetics.

Are you sure you also checked the males in your mothers family?

1 hour ago, Keyhole said:

Good good advice I didn't realize that preventing DHT would cause damage to men.  Do you think a topical DHT controller would work for him like a serum?  Because the serum that I used pretty much stopped the hair loss after about a week and it looking at it it does have some anti DHT stuff.

It's not necessarily that it is bad but I wouldn't go for it in a growing male. For example a lot of young men take finasteride and dutasteride to help them stop balding. They work but what they don't realise is that these things can also give them impotence and completely fuck up their libido. Reports have also been made of suicidal tendencies and complete erectile dysfunction.  Saw Palmetto is fairly safe for all men but I'd keep it more for someone with BPH in advanced age. For a young guy, chances are it is genetic and if not, DHT can be balanced through diet by avoiding animal hormones and animal based IGFs such as dairy and meats in larger quantities. 

DHT can also be controlled through flax seeds, good zinc intake and good fibre. Again these are more about balancing than stopping such as when somebody takes drugs or very high SP concentrate. 

Can't comment on topical ones, I'd say that's safer option. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

high GI

Why do you recommend that? Isn't that also bad for the heart just like coconut oil for which you made a posting some time ago?

@Michael569 nobody in my entire family is bald, all my ancestors had full heads of hair even at old age so if it is balding its not hereditary, thanks for the advice though.

3 hours ago, Toby said:

Why do you recommend that? Isn't that also bad for the heart just like coconut oil for which you made a posting some time ago?

whoops sorry, typo...should say "low GI" thanks !

@Toby yes both sides of my family literally no man I know in any side of the family suffers from hair loss. My dad is 69 years old and his hair isn't even half gray yet even though he has never dyed his hair, so comparing that to me also stressed me out. I probably shouldn't compare myself to him though. Even the thought of balding at 18 is scary to me. Today I massaged my hair with coconut oil. So I'll just have to wait for the results now.

Rosemary oil supposedly helps and also off label use of Propecia has been shown to block DHT so that you can keep what you have, but you'd need to talk to a doctor.