QandC

Space Consciousness?

8 posts in this topic

Watched Russell Brand's podcast with Eckhart Tolle as his guest and Eckhart described something called "space consciousness", and I wondered what he really means by this, is he basically explaining non-duality? Becoming aware of the space as "something" (i.e not causing separation) is what makes you everything? 

If someone could elaborate that would be nice

He's using "space" as an analogy of how consciousness can be thought of as "spacious", as it's every where, permeating and illuminating every-thing (nondual).

When used in an analogy of a room that is occupied by furniture and decorations (ie, thoughts, feelings, etc) when those things are removed there is only the "space" in which those items occupied. That the essence of the room was not the content, but actually, the space in the room.

That when thoughts, feelings and emotions stop in the mind, even if briefly, one can realize what is left is (you) consciousness. Spacious awareness which is the essence of who you really are and not the content that usually occupies the mind.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

It means, keep your dirty face 6 feet away from me.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

20 hours ago, QandC said:

Watched Russell Brand's podcast with Eckhart Tolle as his guest and Eckhart described something called "space consciousness", and I wondered what he really means by this, is he basically explaining non-duality? Becoming aware of the space as "something" (i.e not causing separation) is what makes you everything? 

If someone could elaborate that would be nice

I talked about it in another thread 

so here we go: 

Space awareness can be developed when you're contemplating the source of consciousness, it is this space inside of you, prior to any thought, feeling, sensation. When the focus of consciousness is turned back to Itself.  

Object awareness is when the content of your consciousness is completely corrupted by the objects or feelings, images or sensations. When you start to explore consciousness instead of form, you realize that your consciousness only appears to be small and limited because you are focusing on  small and limited objects. When you "pull back", it's expending. It is easy to miss because we are highly consumed with our mind and its activity. You do not have to be an enlightened being to see "it", it is quite natural. I guess that is why so many people talk about the benefits of meditation. Because it teaches you how to rest in your awareness. 

Also, I believe  his book, “A new Earth” he elaborates about it better. I am not sure, read it long time ago. 

Edited by Galyna

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

6 minutes ago, Galyna said:

I talked about it in another thread 

so here we go: 

Space awareness can be developed when you're contemplating the source of consciousness, it is this space inside of you, prior to any thought, feeling, sensation. When the focus of consciousness is turned back to Itself.  

Object awareness is when the content of your consciousness is completely corrupted by the objects or feelings, images or sensations. When you start to explore consciousness instead of form, you realize that your consciousness only appears to be small and limited because you are focusing on  small and limited objects. When you "pull back", it's expending. It is easy to miss because we are highly consumed with our mind and its activity. You do not have to be an enlightened being to see "it", it is quite natural. I guess that is why so many people talk about the benefits of meditation. Because it teaches you how to rest in your awareness. 

Also, I believe  his book, “A new Earth” he elaborates about it better. I am not sure, read it long time ago. 

Were you able to experience space awareness?

@An young being Sure, you are doing it all the time, you are just not quite aware of it.

Give me a favor, go back in the video above to 33:38 min, you do not have to watch the whole video, from that 33:38 he explains it very nice, watch it and let me know. It will take about 3 or 4 minutes of your time. 

I love this topic but not a lot of people like to talk about it. 

"All that we know is limited, something we don't - is infinite"

@QandC

He talks about it again. If your interested. 4min, 7sec

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?