WHO IS

Hypothetical thought experiment

6 posts in this topic

Greetings, I'm trying to understand the link between spiritual sight/advancement and the fear of death. We all know death is part of life so to speak, and thus we are part of life which means we will one day die too.

Now the thought experiment is to imagine an unfortunate scenario, like for example, you are walking down the street and a maniac puts a gun to your head, do you fight back or do you submit to the moment?

I hope the thought experiment doesn't sound creepy, however, death is part of life so I found it interesting to hear the answer form people here. 

What if fighting back IS submitting to the moment. Because if we don't truly have free will, then allowing our body to fight back is in a sense submitting.

This brings up the question, is our "willed" action going against the moment or is anything that we do a part of the moment? If I chose to eat an apple instead of a pear, is that submitting to the moment or going against it? 

Just a thought. 

I can't say what I'd do in real life for sure, but hypothetically speaking, I'd definitely submit and do as I'm told. I'll have a much higher chance of survival. Even if you're enlightened, unless there is a real possibility he's going to use the gun, there is no use to play hero. You're still an average bloke, not a martial-art's master. Even if you were, you'd still think about it twice. There are lots of things that can go wrong super fast.

Just my thoughts.

Whatever I do is a full submitting to the moment. I don't know what I'll actually do. But I guess I'll fight back, why not. It doesn't matter what I do, but I'm sure there's something in my character that will want to fight back. And I won't resist that. Resistance = suffering.

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

If someone doesn't fear death it doesn't mean they will accept a threat to their life. 

7 hours ago, WHO IS said:

Greetings, I'm trying to understand the link between spiritual sight/advancement and the fear of death. We all know death is part of life so to speak, and thus we are part of life which means we will one day die too.

Now the thought experiment is to imagine an unfortunate scenario, like for example, you are walking down the street and a maniac puts a gun to your head, do you fight back or do you submit to the moment?

I’m not sure how you are relating this hypothetical situation to “spiritual sight/advancement”. Are you suggesting that one response would be more “spiritually advanced” than another response?