Elshaddai

Is this the nothingness the mystics speak of?

8 posts in this topic

For quite a long time now i've been trying to understand the concept of nothingness found in most mystical and spiritual traditions in some form and I few days ago as I was driving home from work I realized that in my experience the world i'm seeing visually seems to vanish into non-existence or literally nothing as my car passes through it(my sensory experience in the moment). Hopefully I explained it well, it makes sense if you observe your experience of the world and how every individual experience is impermenant and seems to disappear into non-existence.

Then I remembered hearing about the concept of "gone" and "vanishing" from shinzen young which describes this experience very well here for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-7LXHjGHfM&t

now I can't stop thinking or trying to understand this teaching So I am just deluding myself or am I on to something here? 

It's something because it's what's apparently happening... everything that arises is it.

It's nothing because it's empty in a sense that it has no real meaning purpose or value to any of it... it can't be pinned down labeled and placed in a box. 

Any label or meaning placed on it is just a projection from a conditioned thought and therefore it could be said it's indescribable and incomprehensible... it's truly unknowable and what IS!!

It's nothing and it's simultaneously everything...❤ ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

What is the substance that imagination is made of?

Being a Guru is frustrating because what can be done in a moment, people make it a lifetime.’

53 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

Who or what wants to know?

See there's not an issue with asking a question but it subtly sets up another thought that something needs to be discovered or realized for fulfillment to take place.

This is how the constant seeking energy perpetuates it's illusory reality... the sense of self is looking for a solution to its apparent feeling of separation.

But there isn't a real entity inside the body that is apart from the everything.

So the simple answer to this question is that when the separate sense of self dies there's no one or no thing left that needs an answer.

So what's longed for is the recognition that nothing was ever missing and therefore nothing needs to be found.

So the separate sense of self Longs for the peace and tranquility that comes with no longer needing to seek for an answer... but as soon as it senses its own annihilation in the process, the only thing it could ever say is: THIS is NOT IT...

This is why it's been called to (die before you die)

Imagination is infinite and appears within the nothing and everything... it doesn't come from anyting because it is everything and nothing.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Try to imagine what is outside the universe, or what atoms are made out of; what existed before the beginning of time, or where you will go after you die. Try to get a sense that this nothingness is always present or atleast inevitable. If fear arises, that means you're on the right track.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

3 hours ago, VeganAwake said:

Who or what wants to know?

See there's not an issue with asking a question but it subtly sets up another thought that something needs to be discovered or realized for fulfillment to take place.

This is how the constant seeking energy perpetuates it's illusory reality... the sense of self is looking for a solution to its apparent feeling of separation.

But there isn't a real entity inside the body that is apart from the everything.

So the simple answer to this question is that when the separate sense of self dies there's no one or no thing left that needs an answer.

So what's longed for is the recognition that nothing was ever missing and therefore nothing needs to be found.

So the separate sense of self Longs for the peace and tranquility that comes with no longer needing to seek for an answer... but as soon as it senses its own annihilation in the process, the only thing it could ever say is: THIS is NOT IT...

This is why it's been called to (die before you die)

Imagination is infinite and appears within the nothing and everything... it doesn't come from anyting because it is everything and nothing.

@VeganAwake Precisely. The question was kind of retoric for the OP so he could inquiry that imagination can only be made of absolutely nothing.

Infinity doesn't need a why, or a special substance, since it has no limits :) precisely as imagination. Untilimited.

Being a Guru is frustrating because what can be done in a moment, people make it a lifetime.’

@Javfly33

On 5.6.2020 at 8:36 PM, Javfly33 said:

You know I really pondered this question for awhile now and examined my beliefs and what I honestly believe and I would say is that imagination is made out of conciouness, just like everything else we experience in this reality.