Dark11

I got a problem with life purpose

5 posts in this topic

Hi Guys!

Sorry for my bad English, I'm coming from Serbia, a second world country in the Balkan region. 

We 've been living through difficult times during the '90s but unfortunately, we have a lot issues with corruption and exploitation till today.

I'm a student of Drama Arts, a film and television production degree, and am in love with tv series like Breaking Bad, The Wire, Narcos... and I am also awarded for writing short stories, poetry... I know my life purpose is to tell stories through the different mediums but I choose TV, I have a lot of struggle here, I don't have a political connection, parents or sibling in industry and so forth.

Next year I will graduate, what should I do? Should I go to Europe or the USA? But my English is bad, I can't write on native English terrain. Or to find a job in advertising? Or to learn digital marketing with an emphasis on video or some kind of dropshipping till I have the freedom to pursue my dream?

My parents discouraged me all the time, telling things like there is no money there, chose something practical, also I have a very bad financial situation, I must take some type of job on my graduation year in 2021/2 to feed myself and pay rent.

The only hope I have is finished tv bible with a synopsis of 6 part episodes and pilot.

I would appreciate your advice guys.

Thanks!

My dad is from Slovenia, told me the same things about no money in certain jobs and to choose something practical. So I think we are very alike.

I took my parent's advice and went to university to study accounting, a safe stable job, instead of doing what I loved. But once I was working in an office I hated it so much, and I couldn't imagine myself sitting in an office for 40 more years. Every day sucked the energy and soul out of me.

So what did I do? Eventually I quit to pursue my real passion of writing. Now I work from home and it's not perfect, but I make enough money to be comfortable and I can see a bright future of stuff I can still do.

You can put your passion off, but it will catch up with you eventually. For me, I wasted about 5 years in college and university doing what my parents and teachers told me was practical, instead of doing what made me happy. But you can't do it forever unless you want a miserable life.

It sounds like you are passionate about film/television and also your country. Maybe you can make a documentary about Serbia... either showing the beautiful side of it to the world, or exposing the corruption to try and help improve things there.

Technically you are already in europe but sure you can get an internship somewhere else in europe. TV is still a huge business with lots of opportunities.

I would recommend that you continue to hone your skills and pursue what you want to do. I am sure if it were easy to get into the TV business, then there would be a lot more competition than there already is. There is many alternate routes where all of that stuff is very useful though either way. Look how much companies produce large things even on Youtube. So you don't have to just get some gig with a big company to achieve the kinds of viewership that comes with that. Now it might be practical to do some stuff that satisfies your survival needs until you can get that to a higher level. By taking up Amazon you are going to be spending a lot of time and energy to even get that to work. The ads showing people making $10k their first month makes it look easy, but if you can make $500 I would be impressed. It takes a lot more time and practice and I can say that because I am in the reselling industry as my full time gig. 

Keep pushing to what you aspire to do. People have told me for years that my pursuits would not work and the only thing that would not make them work is if I stopped. You can achieve the same results by blocking out what they say and keep training your skills. 

Okay, seems like you’ve got your long-term vision in place, at least a clear enough sense of direction to start working on. To make it even clearer, I advise to do the following:

- write out your vision in a clear statement. A few sentences. Try to see and feel it.

-  write out your current reality in a few sentences as well. As clear as possible, on the same metrics as your vision. Like a scientist would describe it.

Now, don’t try to close the gap between your current reality and your vision in one fall swoop. It seems like the gap is quite big, which creates a lot of structural tension, which seems to manifest in doubt in your case.

Try to instead feel the tension between where you are and where you want to be as a motivator. Use it as fuel. Let it make you hungry.

What timeframe seems realistic to make your vision come true, 5 years? 10 years?

Now you can start to plan for the road towards your destination. There is not one road, but a lot of different ones. 
A great tool to choose one that would fit, is to make different ‘cases’. For example:

- case 1: I stay where I am. Hone my skills as much as possible whilst finding a job that can support me in the meantime.

- case 2: I go to study/intern in a different country with more opportunities. 

- case 3: Job in advertising

- case 4: etc.

Lay down these cases on different pieces of paper in front of you. Which one is pulling you? Which one will move you truely to your vision? Which one stirs up the most emotion?

Try to let go of fears and judgements during this process, really connect with yourself.

If this helps, let me know, would love to share more! Good luck!

Realizeyourgrowth.com