Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bonesurfer

Stage orange observations amid COVID-19, my employers

8 posts in this topic

As the title says, this post is about my observations working for a stage orange company during this crisis. I work for a large chiropractic chain in the US. As I have worked there, it has become apparent that the company is hollow of any motive beyond profit. It's really not about empowering people. It's about sales, baby! This attitude has not changed one bit despite the challenges this crisis has brought about. There has been very little leadership by way of increased safety for the employees and customers. The president declared a state of emergency, and our "response" was to remind the doctors there to maintain sanitation procedures that were already in place. Our website posted a "ways to stay healthy amid COVID-19" advertisement that I consider to be of extremely poor taste. For those wondering, no a chiropractic adjustment will not help you overcome a coronavirus infection. 

As lockdowns took hold, we were told that we were essential, and that's all I heard for days. People are dying, risk is going *way up* but guess what, WE'RE OPEN!! There were several memos sent out by the company declaring that "it's all hands on deck", but they only discussed patient retention. Sales amid a major crisis. This was closely followed by a series of memos where the company washed its hands of any consequences concerning the health and welfare of its workforce. No extra protections. No extra paid sick leave. If you become infected, you do not qualify for additional healthcare through the company. 

Imagine being told a tidal wave is coming at you and the head of your company is wanting to talk about sales. "Guys, our key performance indicators are down. Make sure to say the customer's name 3 times during your interaction as this will improve your conversion rate."

Despite the risks to it's staff (many of whom are at a high risk for a severe coronavirus infection; think, elderly and the chronically ill) there has been no attempt to provide PPE, or even simple screening equipment such as thermometers. Really, it's been a big "business as usual". Of course this represents the frustrating and dangerous aspects of stage orange thinking. Profit motive over all, abusing privilege, corporate legal risk assessment. I took on a year at this company, considering myself firmly in stage green SD, wanting to transition into stage yellow. I really want to integrate the lessons I'm learning about stage orange here. I must admit, it has given me an appreciation for the power of compassion amid this crisis. The people I work for are undoubtedly evil. They value money over health, but I don't think it's out of malice. They are simply trying to survive. 

So here are the positive aspects I've seen emerge amid this crisis:

- strategic implementation of privilege amid a crisis. Goddam, as most other chiropractic offices have simply shutdown, these guys are still kicking. Business is down, as is true for many aspects of the economy, but this company is following through with expansion plans!

... and that's it. I fucking hate this company, and all the shenanigans it's put me through. I will be moving on swiftly once my contract has run its course.

Thoughts? What else could I be getting from this experience? Does this message coincide with your experiences? Do your experiences differ? I really want to hear what's on your mind!

I negotiated a departure from my job back in November, and haven't been working since then (starting my own business). So I can't speak to what is going on there.

I'd like to say what you're describing here is growth. Big picture growth. Obviously not for the people abusing the systems in place, but for many people around the world below them. The masses (a lot of them hopefully) are being exposed to the limits of Stage Orange right now. Greed, opportunism, negligence............ change happens from lots of small choices on the individual level, not from the top down.

The silver lining of this event is that it's exposing the weaknesses and deficiencies in our systems and current way of life. People are going to realize that the way things are doesn't serve them they way they were promised. There is more to life than just work work work and money money money. Also indisputably shows the impact humans are having on the planet, for all the climate denier morons out there.

I'm probably being too much of an optimist on this but >

hrhrhtewgfegege

@Roy What kind of business are you starting? Are you working on the ground, IRL as they say, or on the internet?

48 minutes ago, bonesurfer said:

@Roy What kind of business are you starting? Are you working on the ground, IRL as they say, or on the internet?

Personal Development/Life Coaching. I anticipate about 95% of it will be online. Even with the pandemic I was still planning on going back part-time in some capacity to the last kind of job I had just to pay the bills. The time off was just taken because I had the chance to get "laid off" instead of quitting (so I could get EI) due to the good relationship I had with my employer.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

How's the business going amid the recession? Are you seeing any growth yet?

@bonesurfer You're in luck because chiro is a pretty Green field, so you should be able to find a Greener company without retraining.

In general, if you want Green+, avoid applying to giant companies. You want a smaller, more personal operation. I would never work for a giant company in any field. It's a meat-grinder and I want no part of it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Patagonia seems like a Green+ giant company.

"Let My People Go Surfing" by Yvon Chouinard, the founder of Patagonia is a very interesting read, here he describes a little bit of his personal story as a vagabond climber and difficulties of building and sustaining a conscious business.

@Leo Gura Funny you say, because I built a business model for a high consciousness healthcare business off your life purpose course. I got a nice close look at orange through this project. I am tired of being a literal commodity. I've been holding off on pulling the trigger with it, as I have long-term travel plans and starting the business would hold me down to a physical location. The board has changed though. Thank you for the direction!