Raphael

Let's get practical #2: Deep Work & Organization

660 posts in this topic

25 July 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:10 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:09 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

• ✅ 45 minutes of Doing Nothing Before Going To Sleep

Work Sessions:

• 08:38 AM - 09:42 AM: I had a call with my client. He told me that he will pay me more after this project, I'm still suspicious. Work Duration: 1 hour 4 minutes
  • 11:46 AM - 12:05 AM: I had a call with my client. Work Duration: 19 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 10:05 AM - 11:46 AM: Various fixes and a few improvements. I got a lot of unrelated thoughts. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 41 minutes
  • 01:26 PM - 03:09 PM: I continued the bug fixes and started to work on the trending page. I had a lot of unrelated thoughts. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 43 minutes
  • 03:17 PM - 04:48 PM: I continued the work on the trending page. I also continued to have many thoughts. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 31 minutes

@Raphael Good job :)

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 18 minutes, including 4 hours 55 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
  • Total Reading Time: 0 minutes (objective 0 minutes, I'm not reading anything currently)
Edited by Raphael

26 July 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:14 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:10 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

• ❌ 45 minutes of Doing Nothing Before Going To Sleep

Work Sessions:

• 11:40 AM - 12:05 AM: I had a call with my client. Work Duration: 25 minutes
  • 12:31 AM - 12:51 AM: I had another call with my client. Work Duration: 21 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 46 minutes, including 0 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
  • Total Reading Time: 0 minutes (objective 0 minutes, I'm not reading anything currently)
Edited by Raphael

27 July 2020

• Wake Up Time: 07:39 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:35 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Deep Work Sessions:

• 10:32 AM - 11:03 AM: I did a few bug fixes. I was listening to something at the same time so I was a little distracted. Deep Work Duration: 31 minutes
  • 11:30 AM - 01:00 PM: I continued fixing some bugs, but was super distracted. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
  • 02:51 PM - 04:02 PM: I updated the checkout interface. I distracted myself a little. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 11 minutes

Today was a fucked up day.

Sometimes I get dragged down by unhealthy manifestations of the different stages:

• Red: Anger and hate. It can make me feel very dirty, but hopefully, that's very rare most of the time.
  • Blue: Being afraid of speaking up for myself and breaking rules.
  • Orange: Being too concerned about time and wanting fast results. It stresses me and in the end, I sabotage myself and get slower results.
  • Green: Too much tolerance and kindness of other people which ends up backfiring on me because of people's abuse of my kindness.
  • Yellow: Spending too much time lost in my head and therefore not taking enough actions.

All these elements combined can create a toxic mess sometimes.

@Raphael Some days are down days, that's life, that happens, let's accept it. You will do better tomorrow. Good luck :)

• Total Work Duration: 3 hours 12 minutes, including 3 hours 12 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

28 July 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:33 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:35 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:15 AM - 10:36 AM: I tried to withdraw the money (again) from the freelancing platform and completed the SEO course. I will start to apply my knowledge soon. Work Duration: 1 hour 21 minutes
  • 10:57 AM - 12:02 AM: I configured my WordPress website. I distracted myself a little Work Duration: 1 hour 5 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 12:09 AM - 01:22 PM: I started to make changes to the website's colors. It's a little difficult to find a proper palette. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 13 minutes
  • 02:16 PM - 04:02 PM: I continued the work on the colors and fonts. I was quite sad during this session thinking about difficult past experiences. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 46 minutes
  • 04:16 PM - 04:56 PM: I continued the work on the colors and fonts. Deep Work Duration: 40 minutes

@Raphael Good job, you work well today. Congratulations!

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 5 minutes, including 3 hours 39 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

29 July 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:18 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:40 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 02:34 PM - 03:26 PM: I went back working on my website. I had a few issues with the page builder license. Work Duration: 52 minutes
  • 03:33 PM - 05:01 PM: I continued setting up my website. I also set up SSL. I distracted myself a little too much. Work Duration: 1 hour 28 minutes
  • 07:48 PM - 08:14 PM: I set up the main pages of my website. Work Duration: 26 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 09:27 AM - 10:32 AM: I continued yesterday's design corrections. I was distracted because I was listening to some videos at the same time. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 5 minutes
  • 10:56 AM - 12:42 AM: I continued the colors and fonts updates. I had a lot of unrelated thoughts. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 46 minutes
  • 01:47 PM - 02:27 PM: I finished the desktop design fixes. They will maybe be a few more fixes to do, I will see that with my client. Deep Work Duration: 40 minutes

@Raphael Good job again. Keep staying aware of the distractions and pushing it up. :)

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 17 minutes, including 3 hours 31 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)

30 July 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:08 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:10 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

• ❌ 45 minutes of Doing Nothing Before Going To Sleep

Work Sessions:

• No work for today

@Raphael Good, you had some rest today. Also, try a have more empty time of doing nothing on Sunday.

• Total Work Duration: 0 minutes, including 0 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
Edited by Raphael

31 July 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:07 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:23 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 01:29 PM - 02:51 PM: I went back working on my personal website. I got some very annoying errors caused by the SSL certificate because it was not working with the www subdomain. I chose to contact my hosting provider. Work Duration: 1 hour 22 minutes
  • 03:01 PM - 04:03 PM: I searched for a theme for my website, contacted a freelancer, and started the layout. Work Duration: 1 hour 2 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 08:35 AM - 10:02 AM: I started to make the colors and fonts adjustments for the mobile view. I had a lot of unrelated thoughts about spiral dynamics, communicated, and triggering people. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 27 minutes
  • 10:20 AM - 12:20 AM: I completed the mobile view updates. I had a lot of thoughts about past difficult experiences with stage blue. Deep Work Duration: 2 hours
  • 04:10 PM - 04:51 PM: I started to design the header. Negative thoughts of the past and anger came up. Neighbors also decided to put loud music, it was a little difficult to work. Work Duration: 41 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 32 minutes, including 4 hours 8 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

Don't Work Alone (from Deep Work: Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World -  Cal Newport)

For some types of problems, working with someone with a shared whiteboard can push a working ability deeper.

Two Guidelines:

1. Separate the pursuit of serendipitous encounters from your efforts to think deeply and build on these inspirations. Each effort should be optimized separately, as opposed to mixing them together into a sludge that impedes both goals.
  2. Even when you retreat to a spoke to think deeply, when it's reasonable to leverage the whiteboard effect, do so. By working side by side with someone on a problem, you can push each other toward deeper levels of depth, and therefore toward the generation of more and more valuable output as compared to working alone.
Edited by Raphael

The 4 Discipline Framework (from Deep Work: Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World -  Cal Newport)

• Discipline #1: Focus on the Wildly Important
    • Aim execution at a small number of wildly important goals. This simplicity will help focus energy to a sufficient intensity to ignite real results
    • Identify a small number of ambitious outcomes to pursue with deep work hours
  • Discipline #2: Act on the Lead Measures: Measure success with two metrics
    • Lag measures: describes the thing to improve
    • Lead measures: measure the new behaviors that will drive success on the lag measures
  • Discipline #3: Keep a Compelling Scoreboard
    • Have a public place to record and track lead measures
    • A scoreboard creates a sense of competition that drives to focus on the measures, even when other demands vie for attention. It also provides a reinforcing source of motivation
  • Discipline #4: Create a Cadence of Accountability
    • If you work alone: set a regular day each week to analyze your results
    • If you work with a team: put in place a rhythm of regular and frequent meetings
Edited by Raphael

Health: The Foundation of Deep Work

I just realized how important health is for deep work. There's a minimum of health needed to be able to work properly, otherwise, the brain gets crazy and we can easily feel unmotivated, tired, and lazy. Basic habits like meditation, yoga, eating healthy, exercising a minimum, having a lot of empty time, minimizing entertainment (in particular the internet and social medias), and going to sleep at regular times are super important. They are the foundation of a proper work ethic and also the foundation of a great life.

01 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:14 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:30 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 08:29 AM - 10:06 AM: I verified the work done by a freelancer, contacted a client, and started to work back on my website. Work Duration: 1 hour 35 minutes
  • 10:22 AM - 11:05 AM: I had a call with my client. Work Duration: 43 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 11:16 AM - 12:34 AM: I fixed some issues on my client's website. I distracted myself a little too much. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 18 minutes
  • 01:38 PM - 02:08 PM: I did a few fixes. Deep Work Duration: 30 minutes
  • 02:15 PM - 04:16 PM: I continued the work on my website. I worked on the fonts, the base colors, the structure, and the header. It looks way better now. Deep Work Duration: 2 hours 1 minute

@Raphael Superb work! You did a lot of progress since you started :)

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 7 minutes, including 3 hours 49 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

02 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:41 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:12 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

• 45 minutes of Doing Nothing Before Going To Sleep

Work Sessions:

• 09:47 AM - 10:12 AM: I had a call with my client. Work Duration: 25 minutes
  • 11:47 AM - 11:55 AM: I had a quick call with my client. Work Duration: 8 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 09:13 AM - 09:47 AM: I worked on my website's header. Deep Work Duration: 34 minutes
  • 10:35 AM - 11:47 AM: I worked on localized link boxes on my client's carousels. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 12 minutes
  • 12:04 AM - 12:45 AM: I completed the positioning of the link boxes. I distracted myself too much. Deep Work Duration: 41 minutes
  • 07:45 PM - 09:00 PM: I worked on the header menu of my website and also a little on the layout. It looks very good, I'm very satisfied with the results. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 15 minutes

@Raphael Good work. Stay careful to rest properly and go to bed early. Continue moving forward :)

• Total Work Duration: 4 hours 15 minutes, including 3 hours 42 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
Edited by Raphael

03 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:46 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:25 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:15 AM - 09:52 AM: I had a call with my client. Work Duration: 37 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 12:02 AM - 01:00 AM: I worked on the trending category page. I was quite distracted because I was listening to Leo at the same time. Deep Work Duration: 58 minutes
  • 02:30 PM - 04:16 PM: I completed the desktop version of the trending page. I was quite distracted. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 46 minutes
  • 07:47 PM - 08:56 PM: I completed the mobile version of the trending page and also did some analysis for the thank you page. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 9 minutes

I didn't want to work that much today because my ego felt like it worked more than necessary yesterday (yesterday was supposed to be a break day). I was also quite distracted in my work, but also sad thinking about spiral dynamics, the 9 stages of ego development, how unconscious the world is, and how most people don't understand anything of what's happening around them and judge and hurt others out of ignorance.

@Raphael Ok, you had a down day. That happen, let's accept it. You will do better tomorrow :)

• Total Work Duration: 4 hours 30 minutes, including 3 hours 53 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

04 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 07:41 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:15 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:34 AM - 10:08 AM: I had a call with my client. Work Duration: 34 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 03:10 PM - 04:57 PM: I worked on the payment completed page design. I distracted myself at some moments. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 47 minutes
  • 07:45 PM - 08:28 PM: I did the mobile version of the payment completed page. Deep Work Duration: 43 minutes

I almost didn't sleep for the entire night, got super lazy, and felt a lot of difficult emotions. It seems like I'm sabotaging myself to go back to my previous state.

• Total Work Duration: 3 hours 4 minutes, including 2 hours 30 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

05 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:39 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:30 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 10:21 AM - 10:39 AM: I had a call with my client. Work Duration: 18 minutes
  • 03:49 PM - 04:59 PM: I worked on my website's footer, the fonts, and the text colors. I had a lot of difficult thoughts of the past that came back. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 10 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 09:15 AM - 10:03 AM: I fixed some bugs on my client's website. I distracted myself a little. Deep Work Duration: 48 minutes
  • 10:42 AM - 11:48 AM: I completed the payment validate page for the desktop version. I distracted myself a little too much. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 6 minutes
  • 01:37 PM - 03:09 PM: I did more corrections and work on a navigation link bug. I'm a little stuck. I also distracted myself. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 32 minutes
  • 03:15 PM - 03:40 PM: I finished the fixes for the navigation link and also changed the inputs design. Deep Work Duration: 25 minutes
  • 07:40 PM - 08:41 PM: I worked on the fonts and the home page layout of my website. It looks very good so far, I'm super satisfied. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 1 minute

@Raphael Good, that's much better :) Have some proper rest tomorrow, it's very important.

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 20 minutes, including 4 hours 52 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

06 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:28 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:10 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 01:01 PM - 01:44 PM: I did a few design tests for my website. Work Duration: 43 minutes

@Raphael That's was a good day of rest, good job. But please have some empty time before going to sleep. Love from your higher self ♥

• Total Work Duration: 43 minutes, including 43 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
Edited by Raphael

Total Working Time of The Week (31 August 2020 - 06 August 2020)

31 hours 31 minutes

Edited by Raphael

07 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 07:39 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:15 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:22 AM - 09:46 AM: I started my day by a call with my client. Work Duration: 24 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 10:01 AM - 10:46 AM: I did a few updates for the social logins. Deep Work Duration: 45 minutes
  • 11:03 AM - 12:35 AM: I tried to fix a display bug, but this is still fucked up. I had a lot of parasite thoughts about racism in the world. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 32 minutes
  • 01:31 PM - 02:52 PM: I worked on the wish list icon integration. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 21 minutes
  • 02:58 PM - 04:28 PM: I did some changes to the register and checkout forms. I had a lot of parasite thoughts. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
  • 07:41 PM - 08:15 PM: It worked on a carousel for my website, it looks fucked up. Deep Work Duration: 34 minutes

@Raphael Good job :) Have a good night of rest!

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 4 minutes, including 5 hours 20 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

08 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:04 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:36 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 08:40 AM - 09:16 AM: I did a few bug fixes and had a call with my client. Work Duration: 36 minutes
  • 04:19 PM - 04:56 PM: I had a call with my client. Work Duration: 37 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 09:23 AM - 10:45 AM: I worked on the slider for my website. It looks way better now, but I still have to make some adjustments. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 22 minutes
  • 11:07 AM - 12:50 AM: I continued the work on my website's slider. It looks pretty good now. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 43 minutes
  • 02:00 AM - 03:32 AM: I searched for some email templates, but didn't find any satisfying ones. I also try to made improvements to the breadcrumb component, had a lot of difficulties, but started to move forward near the end. I had a lot of unrelated thoughts. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 32 minutes
  • 03:40 PM- 04:19 PM: I continued to work on the breadcrumb. I had issues related to the API. Deep Work Duration: 39 minutes
  • 08:17 PM - 09:40 PM: I continued the work on the breadcrumb and updated all the necessary items. I distracted myself a little near the end. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 23 minutes

@Raphael Superb work! Stay careful to not overwork. Continue :)

• Total Work Duration: 7 hours 52 minutes, including 6 hours 39 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

09 September 2020

• Wake Up Time: 07:53 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:05 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:45 AM - 09:59 AM: I had a conversation with my client. Work Duration: 14 minutes

@Raphael Good job, that was a proper day of rest :)

• Total Work Duration: 14 minutes, including 0 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
Edited by Raphael