Raphael

Let's get practical #2: Deep Work & Organization

660 posts in this topic

09 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:31 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:05 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:58 AM - 10:10 AM: I had a call with a client, but he then got interrupted. Work Duration: 12 minutes
  • 10:16 AM - 10:23 AM: I continued and finished the previous call. Work Duration: 7 minutes
  • 10:36 AM - 10:40 AM: I had another quick call. Work Duration: 4 minutes
  • 03:00 PM - 03:25 PM: I had a call with a client. Work Duration: 25 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 09:28 AM - 09:57 AM: I did a few HTML/CSS and Typescript fixes but then got interrupted by a client. Deep Work Duration: 29 minutes
  • 11:30 AM - 12:51 AM: I did many small improvements and fixes and created two new empty components. I was having parasite thoughts, but then put some chill music and felt much more relaxed. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 21 minutes
  • 01:53 PM - 02:48 PM: I starting to work on the search filters then notice that there's going to be an issue with the API. I was a little distracted and agitated. Deep Work Duration: 55 minutes
  • 03:37 PM - 04:28 PM: More minor corrections. Deep Work Duration: 51 minutes

I woke up early, but take too much time to get started. I spent time on this forum and spent time reading about politics. I'm too much concerned about politics, I need to focus more about my objectives.

• Total Work Duration: 4 hours  24 minutes, including 3 hours 36 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
  • Total Reading Time: 0 minutes (objective 0 minutes, I'm not reading anything currently)

10 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:30 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:29 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Deep Work Sessions:

• 02:00 PM - 03:30 PM: I added more features on the client website. I still have negative parasite thoughts. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
  • 03:41 PM - 04:34 PM: I fixed a loading bug and make the API call to get the categories. Deep Work Duration: 54 minutes
  • 08:07 PM - 09:04 PM: I worked on brand selection, then got a strange bug that I still don't understand. I will investigate tomorrow morning. Deep Work Duration: 57 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 3 hours 21 minutes, including 3 hours 21 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
  • Total Reading Time: 0 minutes (objective 0 minutes, I'm not reading anything currently)
Edited by Raphael

11 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:32 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)

Work Sessions:

• 07:40 PM - 08:22 PM: I set up databases using MongoDB Atlas. It will provide better security in the future. Work Duration: 42 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 7:50 AM - 09:03 AM: I fixed yesterday's bug, it happened because the same object was referenced multiple times in an array. I also started to work on the category filter for the search page. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 13 minutes
  • 09:12 AM - 10:07 AM: I created a nested form to deal with the categories. I still need to make some tweaks to display it correctly and link the data. Deep Work Duration: 55 minutes
  • 01:42 PM - 03:06 PM: The categories are now displaying correctly and I linked the checkboxes to the model. A few more operations need to be done. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 24 minutes
  • 03:20 PM - 04:36 PM: I finished the work on the categories selection and I also fixed a few other bugs. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 16 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 5 hours 30 minutes, including 4 hours 48 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)

12 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:35 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:10 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 10:50 AM - 11:20 AM: I read an article on Google reCAPTCHA and did some verifications. Work Duration: 30 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 01:20 PM - 02:38 PM: I went back on my personal project and started to work on dates initialization for the dashboard. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 18 minutes
  • 03:53 PM - 05:00 PM: I created the code to set the end date limits. The negatives thoughts were crazy, they disrupted my work a lot. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 7 minutes
  • 06:00 PM - 06:50 PM: More work on the dates and the interactions between the start date and the end date. Deep Work Duration: 50 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 3 hours 45 minutes, including 3 hours 15 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)

Wow, really impressed with your discipline. Especially with waking time and going to bed time. Great example!

6 minutes ago, ElenaO said:

Wow, really impressed with your discipline. Especially with waking time and going to bed time. Great example!

Thanks, but I need to stabilize myself as I still slack off too much. And also, my goal of working regularly for at least 6 hours / day is still not met, but I'm working on it.

13 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:10 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:39 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Deep Work Sessions:

• 08:45 AM - 09:52 AM: Managing this date range is giving me some headaches. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 7 minutes
  • 10:20 AM - 10:50 AM: I continued the work on the date range, then got distracted by youtube. Deep Work Duration: 30 minutes
  • 11:46 AM - 01:18 PM: I finished to work on the date range. The solution was easier than I thought, my crazy mind made it uselessly complicated. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 32 minutes
  • 02:17 PM - 03:17 PM: Board load on the interface after successful creation. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour
  • 03:28 PM - 04:47 PM: I started to add some APIs for the statistic boards. I had a bug, I was unable to get the reference of a child component. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 19 minutes
  • 08:15 PM - 09:14 PM: I corrected the bug and also disabled the header on any board operation. I found another bug for the end date. Deep Work Duration: 59 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 27 minutes, including 6 hours 27 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)

14 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 07:30 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:10 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Deep Work Sessions:

• 02:55 PM - 03:45 PM: I added API calls to the frontend. There's maybe a little more bugs than I expected for the date range. Deep Work Duration: 50 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 50 minutes, including 50 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

The Principle of Least Resistance & Busyness as a Proxy for Productivity (from Deep Work: Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World -  Cal Newport)

Without clear feedback on the impact of various behaviors on the bottom line, we tend toward behaviors that are easiest at the moment. In the absence of clear indicators of what it means to be productive and valuable in their jobs, many knowledge workers turn back toward an industrial indicator of productivity: doing lots of stuff in a visible manner.

Edited by Raphael

Deep Work Is Meaningful (from Deep Work: Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World -  Cal Newport)

A deep life is not just economically lucrative, but also a life well lived.

Edited by Raphael

A Neurological Argument for Depth (from Deep Work: Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World -  Cal Newport)

• Attention defines the quality of our life
  • Skilful management of attention is the sine qua non of the good life and the key to improving virtually every aspect of our experience
  • Who you are, what you think, feel, and do, what you love — is the sum of what you focus on
  • People are happier after they rewired their brains to ignore the negative and savour the positive. By skillfully managing attention, we can improve our world without changing anything concrete about it
  • Your world is the outcome of what you pay attention to
  • Being highly focused prevents to notice the many smaller and less pleasant things that unavoidably and persistently populate our life
  • A concentration can be so intense that there is no attention left over to think about anything irrelevant, or to worry about problems
  • When you lose focus, your mind tends to fix on what could be wrong with your life instead of what's right
  • A workday driven by the shallow is likely to be a draining and upsetting day, even if most of the shallow things that capture your attention seem harmless or fun
  • To increase the time you spend in a state of depth is to leverage the complex machinery of the human brain in a way that for several different neurological reasons maximizes the meaning and satisfaction you'll associate with your working life

A Psychological Argument for Depth (from Deep Work: Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World -  Cal Newport)

• The best moments usually occur when a person's body or mind is stretched to its limits in a voluntary effort to accomplish something difficult and worthwhile
  • The more flow experiences occur in a given week, the higher the subject's life satisfaction.
  • Human beings are at their best when immersed deeply in something challenging
  • If we give rapt attention to important things, and therefore also ignore shallow negative things, we'll experience our working life as more important and positive

A Philosophical Argument for Depth (from Deep Work: Rules For Focused Success In A Distracted World -  Cal Newport)

• Any pursuit — be it physical or cognitive — that supports high levels of skills can generate a sense of sacredness
  • Deep work, therefore, is key to extracting meaning from your profession

15 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:36 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:00 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 04:10 PM - 04:20 PM: I reviewed a pull request and merged it, and installed the new API version on the server. Work Duration: 10 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 08:40 AM - 09:29 AM: I fixed the date range bugs. Deep Work Duration: 49 minutes
  • 09:50 AM - 11:52 AM: I fixed an API bug, it was quite simple but I took a lot of time to resolve it. I also got distracted by a client during this session. Finally, I noticed that when I'm confronted with difficulties, I try to run away from the problem or get negative thoughts. Deep Work Duration: 2 hours 2 minutes
  • 12:01 AM - 12:49 AM: I wanted to delete some data in a child component when deleting an item, but I realized that it's going to be very difficult without Redux. I'm currently a little stuck on the issue. Deep Work Duration: 48 minutes
  • 01:48 PM - 04:01 PM: I found a solution to the previous problem and also fixed many other bugs. Deep Work Duration: 2 hours 13 minutes

This day was incredible, everything went well. I woke up early, exercised for 30 minutes, did an hour of meditation, and was in a flow state almost all the time. It was smooth and effortless, it was perfection. The only thing that I need to be careful of is to not work for more than 1 hour 30 minutes in a session. After this time, my concentration usually decreases and the quality of my work too. Usually, I have such long sessions because I encounter an issue in the middle that I want to solve to move forward, but this is too much concentrated effort for too much time. I need to take breaks after 1 hour 30 minutes sessions.

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 3 minutes, including 5 hours 53 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

16 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:49 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)

Work Sessions:

• 08:40 AM - 09:48 AM: I added some fake data. I distracted myself a little on the actualized.org forum. Work Duration: 1 hour 8 minutes
  • 10:11 AM - 11:29 AM: I added more fake data and did some configuration. Work Duration: 1 hour 18 minutes
  • 11:39 AM - 12:28 AM: I planned a new task and inspected the project. I found some bugs. Work Duration: 49 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 01:34 PM - 02:36 PM: I fixed a few bugs on the front end. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 2 minutes
  • 02:43 PM - 04:11 PM: I started to do some fixes on the backend. It's a little complicated. I also got negative thoughts. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 28 minutes
  • 04:21 PM - 05:06 PM: I continued the work on the API and got unexpected issues. Deep Work Duration: 45 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 30 minutes, including 3 hours 15 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)
Edited by Raphael

17 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 05:42 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 09:32 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 02:48 PM - 03:46 PM: I had a call with a client. Work Duration: 58 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 11:30 AM - 12:20 AM: This bug made me crazy, but I finally fixed it. I was trying to access a variable that didn't exist but I couldn't understand which one. Deep Work Duration: 50 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 1 hour 48 minutes, including 50 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)
Edited by Raphael

18 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:35 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 11:37 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:45 AM - 10:32 AM: I had a call with a client. Work Duration: 47 minutes
  • 03:22 PM - 03:39 PM: I had another call. Work Duration: 17 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 12: 10 AM - 13:12 PM: I added a notification component and started to style it. I was a little distracted. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 2 minutes
  • 03:45 PM - 04:56 PM: I started to work on the cart, I was a little distracted. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 11 minutes
  • 08:11 PM - 09:35 PM: I continued the work on the cart page. I got very lazy during the day, it is fucking up my night and my organization. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 24 minutes
  • 10:10 PM - 11:19 PM: I almost finished the cart, but encountered a few issues. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 9 minutes

IMPORTANT LESSON: Just do it. Do the work on time during the day so that you can go to bed early, rest properly, and continue the productive circle.

• Total Work Duration: 5 hours 50 minutes, including 4 hours 46 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)

19 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:15 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:58 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:23 AM - 10:07 AM: I corrected a bug, review two pull requests and merged them, and installed the new API version on the server. Work Duration: 44 minutes
  • 10:28 AM - 10:56 AM: I had a call with a client. Work Duration: 28 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 11:05 AM - 12:23 AM: Went back working on my client's project, I improved the cart page. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 18 minutes
  • 02:49 PM - 04:40 PM: I continued the previous work, but was quite distracted because I was talking with my sister at the same time. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 11 minutes
  • 08:15 PM - 08:58 PM: I started to make the interaction with the cart more interactive. I'm currently not highly concentrated because I'm thinking a lot about a subject that is bugging me. Deep Work Duration: 43 minutes
  • 09:03 PM - 10:43 PM: More updates to the cart. I was still very distracted by thoughts. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 40 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 6 hours 4 minutes, including 4 hours 52 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)

20 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 06:00 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:42 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Work Sessions:

• 09:30 AM - 10:14 AM: I searched on a way to export/import my code editor configuration to other computers and found it. Work Duration: 44 minutes
  • 10:38 AM - 12:08 AM: I describe a task in detail and planned it. Work Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes

Deep Work Sessions:

• 01:50 PM - 03:06 PM: I almost finished the cart page, but I'm having a bug that is troubling me. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 16 minutes
  • 03:17 PM - 03: 46 PM: I fixed the bug. Deep Work Duration: 29 minutes
  • 03:56 PM - 04:41 PM: I started to create the checkout page. Deep Work Duration: 45 minutes
  • 08:40 PM - 10:28 PM: I improved the checkout page design. I was a little distracted because I was exhausted by the lack of sleep these last days. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 48 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 5 hours 16 minutes, including 3 hours 2 minutes of Deep Work (objective at least 6 hours)

21 June 2020

• Wake Up Time: 07:50 AM (objective 5:30 AM - 6:00 AM)
  • In Bed Time: 10:30 PM (objective 9:00 PM - 9:30 PM)

Deep Work Sessions:

• 11:59 PM - 13:11 PM: I continued the work on the cart. I was distracted because I was listening to the new Leo's video at the same time. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 12 minutes.
  • 02:10 PM - 03:58 PM: I continued the work on the cart. I was distracted because I was listening to the new Leo's video at the same time. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 48 minutes.
  • 04:24 PM - 04:45 PM: I continued the work on the cart. I was distracted because I was listening to the new Leo's video at the same time. Deep Work Duration: 21 minutes.
  • 08:24 PM - 10:15 PM: I continued the work on the cart, it's almost done, a few hours will be needed to complete this area. I was distracted because I was listening to one of Leo's videos at the same time and consulted this forum multiple times. Deep Work Duration: 1 hour 51 minutes

• Total Work Duration: 5 hours 12 minutes, including 5 hours 53 minutes of Deep Work (objective 0 minutes)