IJB063

How to JOURNAL

11 posts in this topic

"The more abstract the truth you want to teach the more you must seduce the senses to teach it" - Fredrich Nietzsche

We journal to gather a better understanding of ourselves

So we can more easily identify our faults and readjust our habits, behaviours and patterns

So that we can achieve our goals

Personally I journal electronically, I have a section designated to it in my common place book

Although there are studies that have shown that physically writing out your journal entries activates your brain more and leads to greater beneficial effects for behaviour change.

But I find it better to use it electronically as its easier to convey information - such as linking to sites, videos etc... Than to write out all the info, its also better as an electronic journal's can sync, so I can use my computer when at home, or my phone on the go. No one bats an eye when you pull out your phone to make a quick note, whereas carrying around a handbook everywhere you go, people will, its also very inconvenient to carry around a handbook everywhere you go.

Here's a post link about common place book strategies

Here are some reason to use the journal

● To make notes of any insights you've had

● Things that have happened to you that day

● What you think about those things

● Random life details

[Side note - personally I find it useful, when interacting with others, as you can more recall events in you journal, so when someone says you did something or said something, you know what you did and what you said, so you better know where you stand with people]

You can also use a journal to

● Have long emotional vents to "get it all out"

● Make lists of different variables like pros & cons to help solve problems

● Stream of consciousness longform writing

● A pre-packaged set of affirmations

● Things that you are grateful for

What its best for though is to create a plan of action on how to achieve the goals you have set out for yourself

You do this by, a very similar process to mindfulness

Throughout your day, when you deviate from what you should be doing, first notice that fact

Second evaluate why, what are you feeling in that moment? Why are you avoiding doing what you should be doing?

Mindfulness allows you to see when you fuck up

The journal allows you to track when you fuck up

Here is simply why a journal is vital for self development

Solve this math problem using your head - 425673 divided by 42 =

Unless your a math savant you can't

There is too much information for you to keep track of

Same way, when you're dealing with more involved circumstances and emotions, the reasons your not following through with the plan, it's unrealistic to expect yourself to be able to make good decisions in your head.

Now while you probably couldn't do that in your head, you could probably do it on a piece of paper, with some time and effort, if you know the long division process

A journal helps us break things down so that we can better identify, where we are failing as to better adapt

So as mentioned in the previous post, when you want to eat that donut instead of the chicken salad, journal why, how those urges make your body feel, the thoughts running through your head at that point etc...

This will allow you to solve your life's problems via introspection

Most importantly to get a better grasp of your own self image

Here are some video links

Note - Check out both the channels I linked there - especially the Einzelganger one - they got some really good stuff

If you journal please leave notes on how you journal

Thanks for reading - Hope it was of use

Edited by IJB063
Add links

i found these drawings (Adam Riches) and had this idea:

roll.jpg

d252a3c9d494416ee4704d06590fb440.jpg

adam+riches+3.jpeg

@IJB063 i used to have Cintanotes and kept a dream journal for 2 years (hashtags for themes, recurrent dreamsigns, level of lucidity...)

i noticed some time ago that i felt sometimes stuck with intellectual content, and needed to balance with more "emotions" kind of journey.

nowadays i create folders, and .txt file date naming convention (YY/MM/DD):

200401_filename.txt

one day i've seen someone in the metro tipping on a AlphaSmart 3000, a device which looks like the picture above.

i waited until my metro station arrived, tried to guess what this was about and finally asked before i leave, the dude was working on a novel.

you can only find these in second hand (it's quite bulky tho).

kind of lo-fi.

1 LYtWsSNY1AUci38juOWV3w.jpeg

Edited by Soulbass

Digital Type writer! Very Cool!@Soulbass

I made a video talking about my thoughts on journalling. Let me know if I can leave this here. Can you guys let me know what you think? Go hard. 

Why to Journal - 

reMarkable Tablet as (Part of) a distraction free Commonplace book / If you have ADHD ( I have discovered newer e- ink tablets that may make better more intuitive Common Place Books). Also unique benefits to writing by hand! I still have much to learn and share!

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art clear videos, noice!

as i was watching this 2 ideas came into mind:

- Private VS Public journal (in case you want to "open source" the development of your production).
I don't think public journal is as efficient as a private one, because of self-censure, tho people like to follow the evolution of artists and that could be part of your branding (having a vibe, life-style).
If you don't want to have both a private & public journal because that's time consuming, then challenge your integrity and go directly for public.

- Different types of brain waves, when writing in Gamma waves you have different thoughts than Theta.
The brain is able to make associations in Theta, which would never happen in higher frequencies.
Timing: when falling asleep, or directly in REM.

@Soulbass Okay thanks!

The private vs public, do you mean like a blog or vlog vs having a journal you keep to yourself?

hehe, also, is that Tim Hortons in your photo?

Edited by Thought Art

◭"89"

There are many ways of journaling.

Facebook for public sharing

Blogging for normal sharing or even private blog

Spreadsheet just to write down simple daily things you did

YouTube for video sharing or collection.

Podcast to share ur voice.

@Thought Art yop, for private vs public.

it seems to be Tim Hortons, i've found this picture on the web^

i know Tim Hortons tho, my boss have the habit to buy donuts for employees (i generally don't eat them).

Edited by Soulbass

2 hours ago, hyruga said:

There are many ways of journaling.

Facebook for public sharing

Blogging for normal sharing or even private blog

Spreadsheet just to write down simple daily things you did

YouTube for video sharing or collection.

Podcast to share ur voice.

Hmm, Journalism am I right? aha

Thank you!

◭"89"