SamueLSD

The Australian Army - Advice?

10 posts in this topic

Although this isn't really in line with my current goals in life, like self actualisation and self improvement, I have always wanted to join the army. There is nothing anyone could tell me that would stop me from doing so. 

However, I was thinking: If I start to make some major progress with self development, will I suffer when I am enlisted, as I wont really have time to focus on myself anymore? 

Or will just finding the time to meditate be enough to stop severe backsliding? As well as watching a few videos and reading books etc in the spare time that I may rarely get...? 

TLDR:  My vision for my life is to self improve and be in the military, simultaneously. Is this achievable? Or at least, plausible? 

Any advice will help, especially if there is any ex-military here.

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

Well, I am not as familiar with how the military operates there as I am in the US. Discipline would be one major thing you could build up on while in the military. But I don't think that you are going to be learning any of the stuff that is really going to help you improve other aspects of your life. It will be more along the lines of learning to be told what to do, then doing it. You are also going to be around a lot of stuff that is likely going to be much lower on the spiral, than yourself and that would make it harder to grow in my opinion. Also, if you have to kill others is that really what you want to do? There is a lot of trauma from wars that do not go easily. I was friends with a guy who had shot down a kid that was running at him at a US base in the middle east. The kid ended up being strapped with explosives, but it still haunts him. It isn't easy to shot someone down as it might seem. That type of trauma could really hinder your progress if you have to do that. 

1 hour ago, SamueLSD said:

There is nothing anyone could tell me that would stop me from doing so. 

Do it if that is really what you desire to do though. I would ask what is the main thing you really want to get from enlisting? 

At Kapooka you will definitely not find time to meditate. I haven't been myself, but I too was considering joining; I watched a video made by someone who has completed the Kapooka bootcamp/enlisting process, and said that the only time you get to reflect is during the 10 minutes you have to eat. 

Maybe you could become like a military leader, and integrate your passion for self development with your passion for civil defence. Have a look at how Sadghuru has integrated yoga into the military (see attached video).

How might the Aussie army, or military in general benefit from doing something similar to this?

How might personal development process effect the way that military is conducted throughout the world?

How might military endeavours look if we had conscious leaders who are passionate about self-improvement (like yourself)?

Also, this was the series that I looked at when I entertained the idea of enlisting. But I don't know how old you are, so the process may be different if you are over 18 (which I am not). 

Good luck homie.

Peace

On 16/03/2020 at 3:05 PM, Average Investor said:

I would ask what is the main thing you really want to get from enlisting? 

To put my all into something, and to commit to something without giving up.

On 16/03/2020 at 3:46 PM, Mada_ said:

How might personal development process effect the way that military is conducted throughout the world?

How might military endeavours look if we had conscious leaders who are passionate about self-improvement (like yourself)?

This is interesting, I guess I could actually strive to integrate my life purpose with a job in the Army

“The psychotic drowns in the same waters in which the mystic swims with delight.”

@SamueLSD I can understand that. It can be hard to find something like that in life at times. I suppose you could find something else where you do that though too. If you decide to go I wish you the best of luck with it. I hope you find what you are looking for in it. 

@Average Investor thanks man, I'll definitely make a goodbye post if I get enlisted lmao

@SamueLSD I was very close to becoming a Royal Australian Air Force fighter pilot as a kid - the only thing that changed my mind was, I saw computers were taking over the glamour of the job, so decided to go to computing. 

God does not distinguish 'spiritual' from 'non spiritual'. Everything is spiritual, everything is God, including the army. If God was not the army, there would be no army. 

On the surface, you will begin the army with a bunch of views, beliefs, perspectives and perceptions about the army that aren't true, but will seem true to keep your sense of reality. As you go deeper into this work, all those beliefs and perspectives will be shredded from you, and you will see the army for what it is - not some blue staged(in spiral dynamics), idiotic place, but you will see it and how it aligns with all of reality. How it developed in the first place from history, how it evolved, and how its evolving into the future. Without people like you in the army, how will the army progress consciously? If you want to go to the army, then that's your calling.

There is no such thing as blue stage, idiocy, selfishness, corruption or even evil in the eyes of God, just God doing its miraculous thing. 

Ways you can improve the army is to stop war crimes, defend Australia with dignity, help change the culture to a more fair one, etc. 

@electroBeam That is a reassuring perspective, thank you

@SamueLSD yes, eletroBeam is right. If you really go in the army so you would help the world, then that could work. The world needs more conscious soldiers. Only problem with that is your personal growth which I don't know how much will be inhibited while in army, but you do your best. And think about your decisions a lot, try to find counter arguments for your decision and really embrace those and question yourself. If you have some time, don't rush into it, learn and grow until you feel either stronger need to join the army or you lose interest. Listen to your intuition, not your mind or your needs.

@Franz Ferdinand II The process is nearly done, I'll probably be in  pretty soon. 

Even if I regret it, it will certainly not be the end of the universe :D