Rilles

Why Does This Happen To Me?

7 posts in this topic

Ive been making music for about 10 years, I recently started a duo with my brother. Im just about finished with (imo) my best song that I have ever wrote so far but as soon as I go to finish the last 10% I get completely uninterested and dont find creative inspiration at all.

This has happened to a lesser extent with all the other songs weve released too but this time ive been so ridiculously resisant to finishing this piece of wonderful art... Why is this happening everytime??? Help???

I also been having doubts if I even want to make for others to hear anymore... I absolutely love making music but I dont like the pressure of having to be so damn perfect all the time... Everytime I have to top myself and it makes me so stressed...

Dont look at me! Look inside!

It sounds as if you are worried about what others will think about your music, so the closer you come to being finished the more doubt you add into what you do / more restistence arises in a sort of self-sabotage. That self-sabotage could be an unconscious defence mechanism in order to avoid risking having your ego and self-esteem getting "targeted" in case people would reject your work.

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

56 minutes ago, Eph75 said:

It sounds as if you are worried about what others will think about your music, so the closer you come to being finished the more doubt you add into what you do / more restistence arises in a sort of self-sabotage. That self-sabotage could be an unconscious defence mechanism in order to avoid risking having your ego and self-esteem getting "targeted" in case people would reject your work.

Thats what I been thinking... the problem is how can I make stuff Im proud of and still let go enough to finish it... It feels like either its a sloppy product (then im relaxed enought to release it) or I have to do it perfect everytime (then ill be stressed)

I found it helpful to put myself somewhere without distractions to write out ideas and scrips. Not quite the same thing, but for me that seems to make a difference. I have had some resistance to it for a bit, but today I just sat in the car for an hour and wrote out a bunch of stuff. I would see if you can find some space where you are not distracted and can just think about writing. I would consider reading some inspiring books as well. 

what is the purpose behind the music? who is it being made for? how can you get out of your own way to finish what is already complete? Lose yourself to the music, as long as you feel incomplete so will it. If this is accepted (the incompleteness) on the level of feeling then just maybe the music will be complete as soon as it began

Edited by DrewNows

10 hours ago, DrewNows said:

what is the purpose behind the music? who is it being made for?

of course its for me, but getting your music out there its obvious that youre gonne think about how you are being judged

how can you get out of your own way to finish what is already complete? Lose yourself to the music, as long as you feel incomplete so will it. If this is accepted (the incompleteness) on the level of feeling then just maybe the music will be complete as soon as it began

this is a mindblowing insight... that one will stay with me... thanks bud ❤️