Matt8

Can I live off my hobbies? How do I find powerfull connections?

14 posts in this topic

Hi there,

How can I live off my hobbies and interests? I assume it is harder than working for someone.

Also there already are many people doing things which I want to do.

I don't know how to go about it.

Next thing I was thinking about is making new connections.

The way I would like to make friends is by finding someone with the same mindset.

Ok thanks, have a nice day

What are your hobbies and interests? What do you usually find yourself doing or wanting to do? 

I have found good success with joining local clubs, but I have to admit finding anyone into this work is quite difficult locally. I have never meet someone in person really all that serious about personal development. But join ones relating to your interests and you never know. A business one could be really helpful for you to join if you are serious about joining one. 

entrepreneurship is hard work. I say that as an observer/admirer of friends/family, people Ive met in my social circles that have started their own businesses.  You can definitely make a hobby into a business but you have to keep at it and know its not instant. A lot of entrepreneurs worked many many years prior  (ie: Leo) before someone invested in them or could go solo. If it's something you are passionate about and LOVE doing, do it! :D 

Thank you all

for your advice, it gave me some ideas and helped me to understand.

About what I know do and want to do. I finished IT highschool have ccna Cisco certification and real work experience but I like and do multiple things like video editing, music composing, gymnastics, little diy projects the problem is there's too much of it and specializing in one field is in my opinion the right thing to do.

You have a good point in having patience, working consistently is important that's also a thing I've been struggling with lately, my problem is that I want to do things as best as I can and wear my self out quickly, that results overworking and then lacking motivation or not being able to keep up the pace.

I appreciate your support, have a nice day!

@Matt8 Yeah, I would shift through that and find what you enjoy doing the most. You can also combined things though. Like making videos of gymnastics and editing them. Or other things like that, so you don't need to just make it one thing only. I mean really you could even compose music to play over a video if you wanted. I think finding what will make you the happiest is going to be the most worthwhile thing for you to do. 

If you do find what it is that you want to pursue with that, then I would be happy to help you generate some ideas on how you could make some money off of it. 

I made some short videos about gymnastics and composed some short music loops it's always a good learning experience but what I'm doing now is reaching out to people on the internet and i want to try other platforms maybe broadcast a video still thinking about it I am not sure.  I also don't want my family to see what I'm doing or trying to do I think they don't quite get it :). Doing new things is always difficult but once you started its fine. I sometimes feel like trying a lot of new things it can get overwhelming.

6 hours ago, Matt8 said:

...I finished IT highschool have ccna Cisco certification and real work experience but I like and do multiple things like video editing, music composing, gymnastics, little diy projects the problem is there's too much of it and specializing in one field is in my opinion the right thing to do.

Look, you're in a really solid spot. Downsize your expenses, watch videos on financial advise, stick to some safe investments and you could easily set yourself up for transitions into those type of careers in the future. I would see what it looks like to become a top end video editor or top end music composer, for example, and see how realistic of a goal that is. See what influenced you to get into those roles, what the economics look like, who are the big people that inspire you for those things, etc. I wouldn't abandon the hobbies you like, but prioritize one of them so you can maintain the skill as you do some career work.

I'm in the same spot, I do some IT-related work, and have similar tech hobbies I'd like to work on, but I kind of squander my time outside of work and limit my hobbies so I can improve at a few. I guess I dreamed of starting a business at 25, but it's gonna look like maybe age 30 till I can at least take off multiple years, get fluent at some languages, obtain business skills to utilize it, do long-term moves to other countries, go around and meet people in my city, etc. I'm trying to just kind of stay up to date with miscellaneous practical self-development things until I can transition into spiritual things and figure out how to create a high consciousness business/co-op/organization. 

Priorities
1. Work, save money, retain sanity (This is #1 sheerly because of the time involved, and strictness I have with money)
2. Maintain decent relationships with friends and family
3. Stay informed with self-actualization concepts - kind of armchair philosophy, meditation and reflection. I kind of went through a long phase of self-reflection, so it's been hard to really make the type of gains without improving my economic situation first.
4. Work on language hobbies, creative hobbies and ideas, possibly software development in the future - hopefully will be part of my career goals assuming no extremes happen like a job crisis, financial collapse, extreme injury, or extreme wasteful spending spree.

If your work is truly an awful grind like my old IT positions were, you should change locations a bit. Look into a big city or metropolitan area jobs where there's a good public transit system and lowish cost of living outside of the city. The work culture can be a big improvement in those areas. Also try and look for positions that transition into some things like Data, Analysis, or Management in the IT field so you can have a good title for future job transitions. I was doing some bare bones nitty gritty IT at a big company, but what I'm doing now is transitioning into a management/data analysis role at a very big company, and the work is often easy, and with better pay, so I'm kind of just getting the best of both worlds now from just a job change.

@Matt8 I can relate to having that insecurity there. Get that out of your system, when you get the chance. It sounds like you just need to get out there and try some stuff out really. Just make sure that you really put yourself out there and do it though. But yeah, once you go over a month or so you can start making it a bit. You are going to want to narrow it down once you decide and really start mastering whatever you choose. There is lots of things that can make really anything able to be monetized anymore. 

Read this book "Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World" by David Epstein .

On 2/28/2020 at 7:26 PM, erik8lrl said:

Read this book "Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World" by David Epstein .

I actually started listening to this book, got a few hours into it.
I feel like the core message of this book can be summed up easily if you already know about Mastery and Skill Transfer.
Basically you get good at one or two things, and then everything else will start to become more easy.
Bill Gates refers to this phenomenom as building mental models and frameworks. For example, you can watch videos or read things about 1800-2020 US History to get a sense of a timeline first. Then you can go more specifically into individual wars, presidents, global issues in that timeline. Then you can read biographies and get even more specialized info that helps to solidify that mental model.
I feel like Leo's life purpose course and audiobook recommendations kind of spoiled me with my current understanding of mastery, so I didn't get a whole lot out of what I read from Epstein's book. 

I'd check out Mastery by Robert Greene. There are other versions like George Leonard's that Leo mentions, but I've always liked Greene's over George Leonard's, due to the relatability of the anecdotes.

You could make a good career in video editing and music composing. Especially with video editing since the explosion of YouTube and social media.