Endangered-EGO

Sensory deprivation tank -- what kind of meditation?

4 posts in this topic

Hello, tomorrow I will have my first sensory deprivation tank experience. I plan to meditate before and just prepare myself to let go inside the tank.

How can I make the most out of it? I have already meditated on Infinity been through the dark night of the soul and my Kundalini was activated a few weeks ago (dormant now).

I would love to have an awakening inside the sensory deprivation tank, because apparently your heartrate slows down and so does your breathing... 

What if I fall asleep? How can I stay fully awake during the experience?

A few things I learned about my first float:

1. Once you are in the tank, do not touch your face. The salt concentration is extremely high. I scratched my cheek and my eyes burned for the first 15min.

2. Pay attention to the instructions beforehand. In particular how to shut off the light in the tank and music. I spent too much time trying to figure out how to turn off the darn light and annoying spa music.

3. Bring high quality earplugs if you use them. Most places will give you earplugs, yet they are low quality.

4. Get a head pillow as an option. A lot of people experience neck pain during the float and the pillow helps a lot.

5. Don't expect 100% sensory deprivation. It's more like major sensory reduction, perhaps 90%. You need to let go of the last 10%.

6. Set the tone early. It will be a new environment and it will be natural for the mind to start thinking like "This feels weird. What's supposed to happen next? Am I doing this right?". Get in there and get straight to business, like you have done this 100 times before. Get into a relaxed meditative place and let go. Then let go of letting go. Don't fidget around. Relax deeper and deeper and allow space for what may arise. You can relax and let go into deep meditative spaces. 

7. I've know people that got relaxed like being on a beach. I'm more into entering realms and for me, a tank is a great place to enter lucid states. In a way, the relaxation and letting go is entering a dream-like state with awareness. I've never had issues with actually falling asleep in a tank. I guess some effort of attention is needed, yet for me it's sorta like being in a movie theater. Some effort is needed to pay attention and get immersed into the movie, yet it's not like I'm trying to stay awake. . . In a lucid state, there is an interplay of being the observer, at times it was like I was observing the structure of my mind and how it works. Other times, it was like I was allowed to ask questions like "what is genuine?", and then nonverbal phenomenon appeared.

8. Bodily sensations can be amplified and/or a sense of OBE. For example, I was able to feel and experience my heart beating like I never have before and I went back to the womb in a sense. 

9. If you resonate with cannabis, a small amount of edible cannabis can help ime. 

I would stay focused on your breath the whole time. Keeping that focus will make it hard to fall asleep.

Fuel your body with some clean energy prior, no fast digesting carbs that will make you want to snooze off. Maybe a cold shower prior or some green tea to keep you alert. All just ideas. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

Good luck man after like 50 minutes my hands and arms started curling inwards like a fetus... it was really trippy and totally relaxing... felt like I was floating in nothingness.

Yeah focusing on the breathing is good advice ?

Edited by VeganAwake

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi