Juan Cruz Giusto

Awareness Alone Is Curative Summary

4 posts in this topic

More action isn’t always the answer. In fact, neurosis can be defined by the excessive use of will and actions. You need to reframe how you think about changing your behaviors and improving your life.

Awareness alone is curative! You don’t necessarily need to work really hard to change your behaviors. Any unhealthy behavior you have will correct itself with time if you observe it long enough. Usually, when you have problems you are looking for an active solution to it but there is an interesting alternative. You can use the light of your awareness to shine on the problem and trust that with the sufficient consciousness the problem will simply dissolve.

Enumerate your problems

You cannot engage in an unhealthy behavior while being fully conscious!

But there is a catch! For this to work, it requires CONSTANT AWARENESS (you have to be aware throughout the whole thing!). You cannot continue unhealthy behaviors while fully conscious.

Awareness is not as easy as it sounds (you have very little of it). It requires patience, it doesn’t work in 5 seconds; it requires a constant application over a long period of time.

You try to change it with willpower but it doesn’t work long term

How does it work?

1.       You have a bad habit and you want it to stop

2.       You realize how bad it is to have this habit

3.       The next time you catch yourself doing the bad habit, don’t prohibit yourself but do it fully conscious and you maintain your awareness throughout the whole process.

4.       Don’t judge yourself nor the situation.

5.       Realize that this bad habit is harming your life.

The only way you can engage in unwanted behaviors is by being unaware.

Pointers

-          Awareness is not the same as logical knowing. You need to be aware right now, and that is a skill! THERE IS AN AWARENESS MUSCLE!

-          Being aware is not the same thing as moralizing.

-          Changes and releases will happen spontaneously

-          Awareness is not suppression. If you have a real desire to do some unhealthy thing, just do it but do it fully conscious. As you do it, be aware. Don’t try to stop yourself. Awareness is very passive.

How and where can you use this? You can use it in any unwanted behavior you want to eliminate.

-          Overeating

-          Drugs

-          Smoking

-          TV

-          Videogames

-          Internet

-          Facebook

-          Procrastination

-          Shyness

-          Guilt

-          Perfectionism

-          Depression

-          Anger

-          Anything you want

Example of Shyness

When you are being shy, watch yourself being in that state (your thoughts, feelings, behavior, how people reacts, what happen after). If you do this day after day after day you will reach a point in which you will no longer be shy (but you have to do it consistently).

Example of Depression

When you are depressed, be aware when that happens. If you do it consistently, your depression will become impossible (since you cannot create it while being fully conscious).

The same with fear!

You need to become aware of how your mind works, you cannot change how it works by willpower (it is too powerful). Then only thing that can change your mind is awareness! You cannot solve the problem in the same level that it was created!

CHANGE REALLY COMES FROM AWARENESS, NOT BY WILLPOWER!

Have faith that change will come by being aware. Surrender yourself to awareness.

My YouTube Channel: https://bit.ly/2PSLrNb

Appreciate the summary.

This was a really interesting video by @Leo Gura. It's a perspective that I've never actually considered. I usually try to brute force change, and that works to some degree. I'm wondering if this could be the next step for me.

Thank you so much it is as always very appreciated  @Juan Cruz Giusto

Who Am I to judge? When I think I know, I don't know that I don't know.

"Things don't change when they are understood. Understanding reinforces the intellect (the ego). The seeker has to make room to the meditative state."