Teags

No Self

48 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, cetus56 said:

If I could ask, when you had the realization of self being an illusion, did it devastate your sense of "I" or was it more conceptual as an understanding. I guess what I'm asking is, how deep did you go?  Did you totally surrender to it?

@cetus56 yes it definitely devastated the sense of "I". I don't think it was a conceptual understanding, I saw it and felt it, so to speak.  it was very quick, it only lasted about 5 secs, as mentioned above, it was like that cube illusion in one of Leo's enlightenment videos where the cube flips and then flips back. I haven't been any deeper than just to see that there is no self and there never was. that is why I am asking what to do now, how do I go deeper? was that an enlightenment experience in your opinion? 

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@Teags 5 seconds of seeing the truth is worth everything. You say you felt it too. It shakes your ground, so to speak.  I did what you describe as getting a good sense of self, putting it into one pile and realizing what an illusion it all really is. I suddenly felt the bottom to my world fall out (the ego/self). I backed off at first b-c it was getting so intense with the no-self.  My perception was shifted from my usual experience of "me" doing the perceiving to a feeling of Omni-present awareness. Consciousness was no longer at my body location, but in the surrounding field beyond me.  I backed off wondering to myself, "is this O.K. to be doing" ? But that feeling of being Omni-present had a very inviting feeling to it, familiar and welcoming but freaky at the same time. I finally mustered up the nerve and surrendered to that state of no-self. This is where it gets hard to explain. Suddenly it was as if I was no longer in my surroundings but removed to a state of pure blissful emptiness/ pure aware. It felt as if I was witnessing the pure self or soul or Atman that connects us all. You may want to try something the next time you start to experience the sense of no-self, surrendering to it. See what happens. You asked for deep, there you go.

22 hours ago, Teags said:

@Toby I have never considered getting a teacher. Thanks for the info, I'll look into them :) 

be your own teacher, there is a master awaiting you within yourself, unleash it,  this idea of nothingness, and no self, i would drop that nonsense too,  the real you is all knowing, all power, ageless,  experience your core being more and more, everything you need is there.  following others is a long journey to no where most often, cut your own trail, your destination is self realization, don't let other people hold you back with their ideas of what you need.

@cetus56 yes how you describe it is what it was like. I will definitely try surrendering to it next time I get that sense! i guess I'm wondering if I should continue what I'm doing and keep doing the inquiry work until I can be in that state/ paradigm for longer periods of time? I have watched ALOT of Leo's videos multiple times and I have only just begun practising his instructions on enlightenment, so I am still a new newbie. maybe I just need to keep re watching them but it definitely helps to get other people's perspectives on the matter and not just from his videos :) 

9 hours ago, charlie2dogs said:

be your own teacher, there is a master awaiting you within yourself, unleash it,  this idea of nothingness, and no self, i would drop that nonsense too,  the real you is all knowing, all power, ageless,  experience your core being more and more, everything you need is there.  following others is a long journey to no where most often, cut your own trail, your destination is self realization, don't let other people hold you back with their ideas of what you need.

You can only write this if you don't really know what a teacher is  and represents. Don't underestimate sitting with a teacher.

@Teags You could also get the "End of you world" Audiobook of Adyashanti. It's specifically for people who had some form or glimpse of  awakening. He also did a book-version of it for reading. It's highly recommended.

Edited by Toby

@Teags I was following Leo's direction in one of his video's when I felt the sense of no-self coming on. At that point I paused the vid and just sat with that. I never expected anything like that to happen though. It was the most powerful thing I ever experienced. And that is exactly what it is, just an experience of no-self that I'm sharing with you. Follow whatever path you find to be true, you will know it when it's right..

Edited by cetus56

@cetus56 thanks for posting that video. I saw the other video that you posted on someone else's thread "rest in awareness" I really liked that one and now understand what you meant when you said to me "rest in awareness". :) 

@Toby thank you for recommending that audiobook. I've recently discovered adyashanti and I really enjoy listening to him + I love listening to audio books/podcasts while I'm driving. I'll definitely check it out :) 

I would be cautious listen to him driving... you could drop into certain states where you are not able to drive or function. He has also a course (highly advanced though and maybe not that recommended for "beginners" even though you never know...) on Experiencing No-Self. You can listen to an Mp3 example here.

3 hours ago, Toby said:

You can only write this if you don't really know what a teacher is  and represents. Don't underestimate sitting with a teacher.

@Teags You could also get the "End of you world" Audiobook of Adyashanti. It's specifically for people who had some form or glimpse of  awakening. He also did a book-version of it for reading. It's highly recommended.

you can write it if you are the teacher.

2 hours ago, Toby said:

I would be cautious listen to him driving... you could drop into certain states where you are not able to drive or function. He has also a course (highly advanced though and maybe not that recommended for "beginners" even though you never know...) on Experiencing No-Self. You can listen to an Mp3 example here.

I just checked out some of the mp3 excerpts. Sweet! I may order that soon. Thanks@Toby

Just an observation:   It's funny how the ego mind gets a little freaked out at the thought of no-self. But do you notice that when we experience something really beautiful like a sunset or a landscape or a beautiful painting for example, than it's fine that our sense of self is completely transcended in that moment. We need to remove the "me" from being first observer at all times by allowing pure awareness to the forefront and stepping out of the way. We all experience awareness but so often it's taken for granted and overshadowed by the sense of self that the mind creates. And that is only because awareness is so silent and subtle, patient and resting. It is not "my" awareness or "your" awareness, but simply the field of awareness. We with our little fictional stories of self will come and go, but awareness is timeless and formless. It will continue through all of existence. It is everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

On 6/17/2016 at 0:38 AM, cetus56 said:

Just an observation:   It's funny how the ego mind gets a little freaked out at the thought of no-self. But do you notice that when we experience something really beautiful like a sunset or a landscape or a beautiful painting for example, than it's fine that our sense of self is completely transcended in that moment. We need to remove the "me" from being first observer at all times by allowing pure awareness to the forefront and stepping out of the way. We all experience awareness but so often it's taken for granted and overshadowed by the sense of self that the mind creates. And that is only because awareness is so silent and subtle, patient and resting. It is not "my" awareness or "your" awareness, but simply the field of awareness. We with our little fictional stories of self will come and go, but awareness is timeless and formless. It will continue through all of existence. It is everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

Ive never thought about it like that, when looking at a sunset or something beautiful. I find it rather exciting (and a bit freaky) - the thought of no self and how we have been deceiving ourselves, I am excited to do more work and uncovering :) 

On 17/06/2016 at 3:38 PM, cetus56 said:

It will continue through all of existence. It is everywhere and nowhere at the same time.

There is just "this". No time, it's all just one big dance happening. :)

On 6/15/2016 at 11:07 PM, Teags said:

While holding a strong sense of self and asking who am I, I realised that my sense of self is not real and is just an illusion. What now? Do I just keep repeating the process of looking even though I know it's not anywhere to be found?

If there is no self, how is it still that there is something YOU (have to/can/are supposed to) do next? 

How is it that you perceive yourself with no self? Is there any decision there to be made by a central unit (you)? 

If you go open a drawer to chose a pair of socks, who chooses? YOU? No-you? 

:) 

Ayla,

www.aylabyingrid.com

32 minutes ago, Ayla said:

If there is no self, how is it still that there is something YOU (have to/can/are supposed to) do next? 

How is it that you perceive yourself with no self? Is there any decision there to be made by a central unit (you)? 

If you go open a drawer to chose a pair of socks, who chooses? YOU? No-you? 

:) 

actually the idea of no self should be dropped, its an idea, a thought, a philosophy,  it serves no good purpose.  its about experiencing ones core being,  what is your core being, it is the source of life, the creator of all things, the ground of all being, all knowing, all powerful,  it should never be looked at as nothingness or no self, because it is all there is, everything else arises out of that.

36 minutes ago, Mal said:

There is just "this". No time, it's all just one big dance happening. :)

You have taken my statement too literally. I'll explain

for there to be what is everywhere and nowhere at the same time breaks down the conceptual constructs that the mind creates. As if saying: it is everything and nothing at the same time or it is a" big dance" and a "small dance" at the same time. I am not referring to "time" literally as in the ticking of a clock. Does the dance really have a size? 

the-disintegration-of-the-persistence-of-memory.jpg

3, 2, 1... drop it!

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16